Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's,

Bought a Golf a few weeks back and was taking it to the jestwash. Wasn't happy with results (pricey and crap!), so thought i'd try and get a good routine going.

So on Saturday, kicked things off using Zymol wash, dried it off then used the Zymol wax (with Carnauba in it - nice smell!!). I was reasonably happy with the results - much better than the 'gold' jetwash (?6!![B)]) at my local Sainsbury's.

Looking at some fantastic pics on here though and the car doesn't look anywhere near as shiny/wet look.

I was wanting to get the P21S stuff, but didn't want to wait from the States - and that other place is only cheques.

How can i get a better shine?? The car is Reflex silver if this helps - maybe silver cars can't get a wet look like some black cars on here?? Maybe i just have to put more elbow into it?[:eek:)]

By the way, i'm finding Mr Muscle wipes are pretty good for the interior!![:D] and Windolene for the glass.....

Cheers,

Craig.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Try these guys for P21S products.[^]

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/

Super fast service, once your cheques cleared[:)]

The more coats of P21S you put down the deeper the shine. I've been using it fo almost a year now & its top notch stuff.

However Im just about to switch over & try Pinnicle Wax from the states, better for black cars than P21S I've been advised

This is P21S results

Posted Image

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back Jace.

Yeah, these are the guys who do cheque only - i couldn't wait[:D] (Couldn't remember their name in the first post!)

OK, maybe i'll try bulding up the Zymol layers as well and see how it goes. If there's no difference i'll just order the P21S from this lot.

I think certain colours seem to show the 'wet look' better. Colours like black and red etc.

I've heard good things about Pinnacle as well - good luck

Thanks,

Craig.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....another thing - has anyone tried the Williams F1 stuff??[??] (in Halfords) It's got some Carnauba in it as well. Was tempted to try it but got the Zymol instead - thought the William stuff would just be charging a premium for 'the name'? Well more than Zymol anyway...

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Reflex silver cars although easy to clean and keep clean, it would be impossible to get a very very deep wet look shine to them.

I'm using Zymol Titanium on mine (along with Zymol HD cleanse), and yes it's very shiny, but it will never have a deep gloss shine to it because of the colour.

Darker colours will always come out better in comparison than a silver car.

Check out a black car compared to a silver car after polishing.

That's not to say you can't make your car well shiney (with high quality wax), I'm just saying it will never have a real deep down shine like a darker coloured car.

I've got some William's F1 wax (with carnuaba), and it is very good when compared to other products in it's price range. It's much better than AutoGlym super resin polish, and it's not so harsh, applies easier, easier to remove, and seems to shine more.

(i use that on my dads car when I can be bothered)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by Craig_C on 15/11/2004 10:12:59

I was wanting to get the P21S stuff, but didn't want to wait from the States - and that other place is only cheques.

If you email the chap from Serious Performance he will send you bank details and you can pay hom directly from Digital Banking.

That's what I did and the stuff arrived very quickly.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I use Meguires NXT Wax and got these results. Most satisfactory.

As a matter of fact I have the day of today and guess what the car is getting?! [:)]

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
yep, I have used him for a while now

Fantastic guy Alex is..

Tell him your a member of this forum and you will get 5% discount too....

I use the Clearkote stufd, I find it gives me a wetter look.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
As my mate GTI Fly says, the finish on a black car is a lot different to that of a black one, not matter what you use. But Scarum's is a good example of how to do it well!

You could try the Clearkote stuff, I use the VMW hand glaze followed by the Carnabua Wax and it looks good!

Posted Image

Posted Image

When my black mini cooper s comes I am sure it will have the same effect.

PS, that image is reduced in size so it does not show the full effect. As you can see, a different result to the P21s, but they are both awesome... and Jace is a waxing freek ;-)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Did you get your Zymol from Halfords?

If so its a "budget" shampoo and wax - both very good products (I use the shampoo), but if you want a really good shine, the likes of Meguiars/(proper)Zymol/Swissol/P21S is needed

Pricier but you get what you pay for [8D]

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ahhh, the black Golf of Oxford. Consistantly looking wet, lots of dribble factor there [;)]

Just finished my car, a bit cold for waxing perhaps but I can now run my hands all over the body now and get my kicks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks for all the feedback boy's.[:D]

Yeah, those black golf's look superb - hmmm, yeah, i had a feeling the silver would be a different story, but nevermind - i really like the silver though.

Yeah, it's the 'budget' stuff from Halfords i got at the weekend - don't get me wrong, i'm happy with it, just never realised there was a better Zymol out there (pretty new to all this)- thanks for the pointer. Think i'm gonna email this guy Alex then (cheers for telling me about the direct banking, that's made a difference)- i'll let you know how I get on.

I'm gonna have the wettest, fastest looking 2.0 8v in town[:I][:D] (the missus is only a provisional, so trying to keep insurance down for a year or 2)

Cheers,

C.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 2.0 gti mate, thats what I have [:)] Great car [:)]

Lets hope you get the look you want!

Also think about the quick detailing sprays you can get, they look great also and add even extra shine.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, i'm well chuffed with it so far mate. Thanks for the exhaust tip as well. I was tempted with a 1.8T, but we're trying to get the missus through her test and a bit of experience over the next year or 2 so it seemed the sensible option - she obviously thinks it goes like a space shuttle[:eek:)]

And anyway, if i was buying just for speed I would have probably got something different. It's a great all round car I reckon! 8V is the future.....[B)][:D]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 15/11/2004 12:38:31

and Jace is a waxing freek ;-)

Your just too kind [:D]

Try AUTOPIA.COM too for your gear, worth the time if your buying a decent qty of kit, 1.85USD today, oooohh thats a nice saving [:)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 15/11/2004 10:56:29

Try these guys for P21S products.[^]

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/

Super fast service, once your cheques cleared[:)]

The more coats of P21S you put down the deeper the shine. I've been using it fo almost a year now & its top notch stuff.

However Im just about to switch over & try Pinnicle Wax from the states, better for black cars than P21S I've been advised

This is P21S results

Posted Image

Goddamn I LOVE that picture Jace.. the shine is just so deep.. SUPERB.

PS.. what should I be using to apply my polish/waxes etc ? I got some of thsoe terry towels to remove it with, right ? But to apply, I need a specail applicator or just use some of that stockinette stuff you can buy [?] .. I bet you'll say no !

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I use;

Meguiars yellow applicators to apply the wax

Meguiars terry towels to remove it and buff

Not sure about the stockinette stuff [?] might be ok but the terry towels are really soft and havent left any fine scratches etc [:X]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 15/11/2004 16:13:11

PS.. what should I be using to apply my polish/waxes etc ? I got some of thsoe terry towels to remove it with, right ? But to apply, I need a specail applicator or just use some of that stockinette stuff you can buy [?] .. I bet you'll say no !

As yours is Anthracite with a clear coat on it, I'd say your'll be ok using a soft cloth, even terry toweling to apply remove.

I use a terry applicator now but used to use a Foam Maguiars job.

That stockinette isnt that Autoglym stuff is it, that goes every where when you shake it[V]

I'll look in my goody box tonight & if i've got a spare unsed Maguiars pad I'l send you it, see I'm not all bad like some think[:D]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 15/11/2004 16:42:05

Quote: posted by tylerama on 15/11/2004 16:13:11

As yours is Anthracite with a clear coat on it, I'd say your'll be ok using a soft cloth, even terry toweling to apply remove.

I use a terry applicator now but used to use a Foam Maguiars job.

That stockinette isnt that Autoglym stuff is it, that goes every where when you shake it[V]

I'll look in my goody box tonight & if i've got a spare unsed Maguiars pad I'l send you it, see I'm not all bad like some think[:D]

Nope.. it's the cheapo deapo halfrauds stuff ! Oooh.. cheers dude ! That's very generous of ya matey. I'll use the foam pad to apply and the terry towel to remove then.. cheers for the info guys - Jace, MoB [:D]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I use the foam jobbies, they are very good...

But the key for me is in the removal..

I used a AG MF towel... AMAZING THING:

-------------------------

Posted Image

AG

Serious Performance Professional Microfibre Cloth

Microfibre is taking over the car detailing world with its amazing absorbency and cleaning power, coupled with its non scratch construction. Its goodbye to the cotton cloth.

AG?s Tricot microfibre Cloths are brilliant for buffing polishes compounds sealants, surface cleaners and waxes. You can dramatically reduce your buff off time, they wont scratch and are machine washable.

We have an exciting range of automotive microfibre cloths for just about every car detailing use. Whether you are a professional or just a car fanatic microfibre is a must for you

---------------------------------------------

I use the:

---------------------

AG Ultra Microfibre Cloth/ Towel - Tricot FBZ Dual 340g/m2

The newest. Plushest, most dense Microfibre available! Perfect for drying with it?s massive absorbancy capabilities, or polishing/ wax removal.

SPSM8517 Purple ? 40 x 40cm ? Price ?5.49

SPSM8557 Purple ? 60 x 90cm ? Price ?12.99

-------------

So amazing how easy it comes off.

I also use the hand glaze on the windows too, handy tip that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts