Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
201 - 220 of 260 Posts

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,049 Posts
Soooo.... after many months away, I'm back to the forum and back to fettling the car.

A couple of months back, I pulled my finger out and finally got in touch with the fantastic Mr @Bobby_Singh, who kindly remapped the car. A good improvement all round, getting rid of the couple of niggles with how she pulled and performed generally. Haven't had chance to get down to SRR yet to get her dyno'd, so not sure on any power or torque changes.

The car is up for MoT at the end of next month, and while she shouldn't need any work to pass that, there are things that need doing.

Firstly, there's a friggin annoying squeak from the front offside wheel that comes and goes. I'm hoping it's just some crap stuck in the pad, but it could be something more. Second, the JOM coilovers are about three years past their Use-By date.

With these in mind, the next set of jobs, to be completed by Christmas, will be:

• Replace JOMs with AP coilovers.
  • Renew front brakes, upgrading to 312mm.
  • New bushes all round, including rear beam, steering rack, dogbone, and ARB (will likely be polybushing).
  • Upgrade ARB to R32 variant. The AP coilovers should have the necessary mounting points for the drop links.

Provided I have sufficient money to do it in one hit, I will also be doing:

• 256mm rear brake upgrade.
  • Rear ARB.
  • TT/R32 cast wishbones.
  • TT front upper strut brace.
  • R32/TT/LCR QuickRack.

So yeah, got my work cut out for me.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Hi bud, nice work so far and nice plans to do.

My ECS bleeder block was faulty around the same time you had one leak ..... it was confirmed a bad batch was out there. Mine was leaking soon as it was installed and replaced under warranty.

You did the right thing making it all strong and leak free boost setup.

·
B S R
1,265 Posts
Hi Phil/Jay as mentioned in the text - the MAF sensor is used for IQ and when you fit a turbo that exceeds the MAF sensor's capabilities then its pretty useless.
Then its time to use the MAP sensor as the input.
This requires more time for tuning using wideband AFR lambda,but you never get MAF issues again.

Cheers

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Ok, cool, looks like things are moving pretty quickly...

S3 subframe (with strut brace fitted), hubs, steering rack, cast wishbones, and R32 ARB have all been either bought, or negotiated for (payday pending).

Just got to get the front and rear brake calipers found and purchased now, and choose my discs and pads, and I'll be squared away.

Discs and pads I could use some input on if anyone is up for giving advice. I've got EBC Blackstuff (standard/OEM replacement) on at the mo, but I think it might be worth looking at something a bit... higher performance...

And now, I best have a clear out of the shed and get some of my old bits on ebay. I think I'm going to need some extra cash...

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Hi bud what calipers do you need?

I am just about to upgrade my own brakes (current 312mm front 256mm rear) to Brembo Ibiza cupra R fronts and red 256 rears ..... i have chosen to try some discs from tarox with their F2000 discs front and rear combined with their Corsa pads (fast road/track).

I once used EBC drilled and grooved discs with EBC redstuff pads on my previous car 2001 impreza turbo ...... they were very noisey and no better than the standard OEM discs and pads. They are cheap though for "uprated" items. The tarox are a lot more expensive ... maybe for good reason.

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Shit, I grabbed some 312s and 256s on ebay before I saw your reply.

I have noticed a bit of noise from the EBCs, but not an unreasonable amount. I'll have a look at the Tarox combo as an upgrade. Have you had any experience with Pagid stuff?

I've decided to paint the calipers, subframe, wishbones, ARBs, etc. in a very fetching pearlescent purple. Should go nicely with the black. A nice accent, like. The purple is very dark, so it should complement rather than clash.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The 312/256 upgrade is spot on for what it costs, i have been running the v6 4mo setup for a few yrs now. I am only upgrading to Brembo and Tarox because i am ready to start doing a few track days.

You bought my ebay brakes from the gti 180bhp! ... doh i would of cheapened them up had i know you was after them! Next time you could check to see if i have any parts that you want ... i will do them nice and cheap for you.

Is there any small bits and bobs you need off the car? ... i can chuck some smalls in the package with the calipers .... anything broke or missing on your car?

I like the sound of black and purple theme ... should work well.

Only Pagid stuff i have experience with is their standard road stuff ... which has allways been spot on ... for standard road driving, never had a problem with them.

Pagid make some uprated pads too (Pagid RS) but they are around 10 x as expensive as their standard road pads.

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,049 Posts
Ebay do allow partial refunds. :p

On a serious note, I'm not sure if I need anything. Well, not small stuff. Next thing on the list is a rear beam and hubs, and the TT/LCR bits I'll need to defuculate the ESP once the quickrack is on. I will have a look though.

Oh, something I DO need though: replacement lefthand bora headlight protector. I had something hit the car the other day. Obliterated the headlight washer cover and smashed the bottom cornerof the protector.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I think you may need the S3/LCR ABS control unit and brake master cylinder .... this is said to be the fix for the "quickrack ESP issue". I can get you these parts off the next s3 i get and give them you very cheap .... however personally i would just save the hasstle and get the ESP fully coded out like i did ..... cost me a 30 mins labour charge at Awesome gti.

Unlucky on the damage to the front .... I have no bora bodywork but if i come across any any time soon i will let you know.

Calipers will be with you on Tuesday.

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,049 Posts
Yup, ABS unit, tandem master cylinder, and two thrust/pressure sensors. Though I think I need to go back and check the wiring diagrams, because I doubt the bora will have the loom for the second sensor already fitted. ABS control unit connector needs somere-wiring too.

I feel the software route is kinda cheating... that and I like trying stuff that no-one/few people have done before.

...like erotic vinyl graphics....

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Haha its not cheating .... cheating is using ESP instead of your right foot to control wheelspin! It's a more involving drive without the ESP .... as i have LSD also if i'm not carefull in the wet i can end up with both wheels spinning together and zero steering ability. Having no ESP stops me from being lazy and keeps my throttle control "skills" sharp.

Let me know once you know all the ESP fix parts you will need .... i will get them all for you off the next mk1 s3 i have.

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
I'll fish the part numbers out shortly. I know that the parts in question are also on LCRs and certain mk1 TT's.

Having ESP is not so much for me, but just in case someone not used to the car wants/needs to drive it (other half, for example).

Had a thought about the brakes... do you know who it was that does the black discs?

201 - 220 of 260 Posts