Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waht do you think of it? I think it is a reasonably priced car for what you get specification wise. It has the 1.6 VTEC engine with all of the Type R body kit and 16" alloys.

In your opinion if you saw one would you be thinking look at that guy couldn't stretch to a Type R so he had to settle for second best. Also has anyone driven one?

Your views are sppreciated.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
All the Civics handle well and have a nice revvy engine as you'd expect and as far as the looks goes i dont think its any different to putting R32/Anni Kit on any other Golf.

I even like the Johnny Cab gear stick now i've been out in a few - perfect position :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think its a very smart little car!

I saw one for the first time this wkend (my dad ordered a type R whey!!).

It looks very similar and i was informed from the stealer that they handle very well (however they are bound to say that).

At first glance I thought it was a type R very samrt looking however im a little unsure on the multi spoke wheels?

Lets face it though its never going to be a type R but for people under 25 (insurance reasons) you wouldnt say no!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looks even worse than the Type R - I was sat behind one last week, looks daft with all the skirts and then a gay little exhaust. Only for women this one I reckon, cant see a fella looking hetrosexual in one of these at all. About as sporty as a slipper.

If you have to get one of these things, then the range topping MPV Type R is the winner, but why bother when there are so many better cars out there that dont look as cack.

Not a fan, at all! [:D]

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote: posted by jazzmin on 01/03/2004 09:22:35

Lets face it though its never going to be a type R but for people under 25 (insurance reasons) you wouldnt say no!

I would, and I would say it loudly! If I were 18 I still wouldnt be seen dead in one of these, my bloody gran is on her 5th Honda Civic! Honda make some decent motors, but looks wise this is a shed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sorry i think you've been looking at the wrong car here?!

the civic is proper nice car quality build solid as a rock!

almost german standard!! as for your gran being on her 5th? im guessin they must be pretty good otherwise she'd not have bought another!

shes not that old neway! ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sorry I think you have reading the wrong post here.....

Where did I mention build quality??? I was talking about its looks, and honestly if you think the Honda Civic is a "proprer car" then you and I have VERY different oppinions as to what a "proper nice" car is!

I dont question the build quality, Ive had a Honda and I know they are solid, it just looks rubbish for anyone under 30. And, the point about my Gran having 5 wasnt questioning the cars build etc, I was trying to make the point that my old Gran has had 5 of the things - hence old people like them!!

Sorry - I will shut up now, but the Civic looks like a pram bred with an MPV, now the S2000 on the other hand....[:D]

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think it all depends on application as pretty much anything goes - car, mobile phone, television etc; you get the point!

I personally think the Honda Civic is a very good car, it's reasonably priced, and well manufactured and does exactly what it says on the tin. I drove one about for about 7-8 weeks it was the same engine with the SE package, very impressed with the car - great cargo space, nifty gearbox located further up near the dash, responsive steering - a good turning circle, better than a Golf I think(?), a nice revy engine; a little body-roll when hammering those corners [expected - it wasn't a race car/version], pretty good fuel consumption [but then anything is better than my greedy 1.8T and 3.2M]. Interior trim was pretty good, I found the seats to be a little "tall" but generally comfortable, all the functions are displayed very nicely on the dash - if you are contemplating one, I think you could do a lot worse [:)] Oh one thing I noticed was the paint, while it looked nice in metallic it was very prone to chipping - so just watch out for that.

Best to check out some review sites for some impartial advice [;)]

Good luck,

Raj

·
Registered
29 Posts
a bit of blue for dads!! lol

tom mate cheer up! im not trying to have a go just stating the fact that insurance is a b-itch when your early 20's and I know you have your own perspective but the type R is a great looking car and its mint! it wouldnt have got car of the year when it came out if it wasnt the full package!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
'Car of the year' is all about 'you scratch my back' mate. EG., Auto Express did a GREAT review of an alright MKV 1.6 a month or two ago, now watch Auto Express be one of the first to get a GTI to review when it comes out - helping them to sell copies of mags.

FIAT wins car of the year for something or other every year, doesn't mean they're solid, well built cars though!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dont need to cheer up - its amuses me enough reading your posts, its like your reading another forum then coming here and posting.

You read peoples posts incorrectly and then post nonsense. I will explain what Irish meant shall I, like I had to explain what my post meant - Irish is making a general point, he isnt stating that it did win COTY - which is obvious when you read it.

No offence, and I dont want to start an silly forum argument but are you 15? Car of the year often means very little indeed, have to agree with Irish - just because Autocar says so doesnt make it gospel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
whey!! lets gang up!!

"No offence, and I dont want to start an silly forum argument but are you 15?"

15 me? mr 28" blings? surface to air missile, 6 exhausts 0-60 in 3 secs?

ok what ever floats your boat!

yes i can understand the statements you have both made its just a slight disagreement no problem! I can understand your points of view and id like to apologise for being a little sarcastic with the grandma quote!

im sure shes great!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ahhhh - I see the caps lock key has started working [:D]

I am not holding a grudge you muppet, if anything you have made a very boring day at work quite funny.

Good luck with the cycling proficiency exam.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Jazzmin - Tom is only taking the mick with his sig.

Just want to say that this forum is generally a friendly one and that's what's so good about it and a lot of us know each other from the usernames quite well.

Let's agree to disagree, Jazz would marry a Civic and Tom would keep his biscuits in it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
We have eight of the b*ggars in my works car park (civics that is) 1 TypeR, the rest are 1.6s and there's one diesel, that from a workforce of about 180. They just suddenly all appeared over the space of about 2 months, luckily there are 1/2 dozen Golfs to balance it out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.