Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waht do you think of it? I think it is a reasonably priced car for what you get specification wise. It has the 1.6 VTEC engine with all of the Type R body kit and 16" alloys.

In your opinion if you saw one would you be thinking look at that guy couldn't stretch to a Type R so he had to settle for second best. Also has anyone driven one?

Your views are sppreciated.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
All the Civics handle well and have a nice revvy engine as you'd expect and as far as the looks goes i dont think its any different to putting R32/Anni Kit on any other Golf.

I even like the Johnny Cab gear stick now i've been out in a few - perfect position :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think its a very smart little car!

I saw one for the first time this wkend (my dad ordered a type R whey!!).

It looks very similar and i was informed from the stealer that they handle very well (however they are bound to say that).

At first glance I thought it was a type R very samrt looking however im a little unsure on the multi spoke wheels?

Lets face it though its never going to be a type R but for people under 25 (insurance reasons) you wouldnt say no!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looks even worse than the Type R - I was sat behind one last week, looks daft with all the skirts and then a gay little exhaust. Only for women this one I reckon, cant see a fella looking hetrosexual in one of these at all. About as sporty as a slipper.

If you have to get one of these things, then the range topping MPV Type R is the winner, but why bother when there are so many better cars out there that dont look as cack.

Not a fan, at all! [:D]

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote: posted by jazzmin on 01/03/2004 09:22:35

Lets face it though its never going to be a type R but for people under 25 (insurance reasons) you wouldnt say no!

I would, and I would say it loudly! If I were 18 I still wouldnt be seen dead in one of these, my bloody gran is on her 5th Honda Civic! Honda make some decent motors, but looks wise this is a shed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sorry i think you've been looking at the wrong car here?!

the civic is proper nice car quality build solid as a rock!

almost german standard!! as for your gran being on her 5th? im guessin they must be pretty good otherwise she'd not have bought another!

shes not that old neway! ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sorry I think you have reading the wrong post here.....

Where did I mention build quality??? I was talking about its looks, and honestly if you think the Honda Civic is a "proprer car" then you and I have VERY different oppinions as to what a "proper nice" car is!

I dont question the build quality, Ive had a Honda and I know they are solid, it just looks rubbish for anyone under 30. And, the point about my Gran having 5 wasnt questioning the cars build etc, I was trying to make the point that my old Gran has had 5 of the things - hence old people like them!!

Sorry - I will shut up now, but the Civic looks like a pram bred with an MPV, now the S2000 on the other hand....[:D]

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think it all depends on application as pretty much anything goes - car, mobile phone, television etc; you get the point!

I personally think the Honda Civic is a very good car, it's reasonably priced, and well manufactured and does exactly what it says on the tin. I drove one about for about 7-8 weeks it was the same engine with the SE package, very impressed with the car - great cargo space, nifty gearbox located further up near the dash, responsive steering - a good turning circle, better than a Golf I think(?), a nice revy engine; a little body-roll when hammering those corners [expected - it wasn't a race car/version], pretty good fuel consumption [but then anything is better than my greedy 1.8T and 3.2M]. Interior trim was pretty good, I found the seats to be a little "tall" but generally comfortable, all the functions are displayed very nicely on the dash - if you are contemplating one, I think you could do a lot worse [:)] Oh one thing I noticed was the paint, while it looked nice in metallic it was very prone to chipping - so just watch out for that.

Best to check out some review sites for some impartial advice [;)]

Good luck,

Raj

·
Registered
29 Posts
a bit of blue for dads!! lol

tom mate cheer up! im not trying to have a go just stating the fact that insurance is a b-itch when your early 20's and I know you have your own perspective but the type R is a great looking car and its mint! it wouldnt have got car of the year when it came out if it wasnt the full package!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
'Car of the year' is all about 'you scratch my back' mate. EG., Auto Express did a GREAT review of an alright MKV 1.6 a month or two ago, now watch Auto Express be one of the first to get a GTI to review when it comes out - helping them to sell copies of mags.

FIAT wins car of the year for something or other every year, doesn't mean they're solid, well built cars though!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeh ok i believe you! im sorry but where do we find you people!

the car of the year this year is the mkv golf are you all going to disagree with that too!

tut tut

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dont need to cheer up - its amuses me enough reading your posts, its like your reading another forum then coming here and posting.

You read peoples posts incorrectly and then post nonsense. I will explain what Irish meant shall I, like I had to explain what my post meant - Irish is making a general point, he isnt stating that it did win COTY - which is obvious when you read it.

No offence, and I dont want to start an silly forum argument but are you 15? Car of the year often means very little indeed, have to agree with Irish - just because Autocar says so doesnt make it gospel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
whey!! lets gang up!!

"No offence, and I dont want to start an silly forum argument but are you 15?"

15 me? mr 28" blings? surface to air missile, 6 exhausts 0-60 in 3 secs?

ok what ever floats your boat!

yes i can understand the statements you have both made its just a slight disagreement no problem! I can understand your points of view and id like to apologise for being a little sarcastic with the grandma quote!

im sure shes great!

·
Registered
512 Posts
God, your not even good at offending people.

Go back to school, and while your there ask them to show you how a shift key and caps lock key work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Right we've all had a little fun now!.

Shall we all rejoin the happy VW club or are we to start holding grudges?!.

"sorry TOM!"

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ahhhh - I see the caps lock key has started working [:D]

I am not holding a grudge you muppet, if anything you have made a very boring day at work quite funny.

Good luck with the cycling proficiency exam.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Jazzmin - Tom is only taking the **** with his sig.

Just want to say that this forum is generally a friendly one and that's what's so good about it and a lot of us know each other from the usernames quite well.

Let's agree to disagree, Jazz would marry a Civic and Tom would keep his biscuits in it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
We have eight of the b*ggars in my works car park (civics that is) 1 TypeR, the rest are 1.6s and there's one diesel, that from a workforce of about 180. They just suddenly all appeared over the space of about 2 months, luckily there are 1/2 dozen Golfs to balance it out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts