Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you get SSP or does your employer pay you at your "normal" rate regardless of how long you are off ?

Our company does the latter - we had one employee who was here for 18 months and off sick for 11.5 months of those on full pay. We even paid for an operation for her which returned her to full health & she prompty handed her notice in !

We have 4 people in our Accounts Dept ( they make up 25% of staff ) but they are responsible for 97% of sickness. There has not been one week this year where all 4 have been in for the whole week. ( a current example of that one of them has been signed off for 2 weeks because she stubbed her toe ! Before that, she had 2 days off as "the decorators were in" ( IYKWIM ))

IMO, this sickness would be grealty reduced if we paid SSP so that employees got £70p/wk instead of (eg ) £300p/wk. It would save a fortune in "lost" wages and also in temps.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
IMO, this sickness would be grealty reduced if we paid SSP so that employees got £70p/wk instead of (eg ) £300p/wk. It would save a fortune in "lost" wages and also in temps.

Any thoughts ?
Would that be until you are forced to take sick leave yourself? Look at it from your own point of view, how would you cope on that sort of wage if you were off for a length of time?

I understand what your saying, the minority are 'at it', your employer should try cracking down on people who are clearly working the system, That's what my employer does.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand what your saying, the minority are 'at it', your employer should try cracking down on people who are clearly working the system, That's what my employer does.
that's the aim - but how do you do it ?[:^)]

·
Registered
170 Posts
At my place, you build up the amount of time you are allowed full pay whilst off sick - e.g. after you have been there for a year you are entitle to 1 month full pay whilst off sick, 2 years = 2 months etc etc

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
best I come to you then - in January, I'll have been here 12 years so thats a year off sick on full pay ?

I think its madness - I understand if there is genuine sickness but a stubbed toe or " its the time of the month?" Jeees..

Can't see " well I got bladdered with the lads last night " being allowed....

·
Registered
175 Posts
our place is at managements discretion  in other words not popular with boss then its ssp good worker you get paid  if its out of work injuries or felling ill that is  . in work injuries you get full pay

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Our place is 6 months full pay, no questions asked. So all the jokers who've done a fair few years and have no aspirations to progress up the career ladder and can no longer be bothered take half the year off for "stress" (cleverly ensuring that the doctor signs them off specifically noting that the employer cannot make contact with the employee within that 6 months as it will cause more stress) and hey presto, you only work half a year, every year until you retire!

Thank Christ I don't have to work in the same dept. as these losers, imagine having to do the exra work day in day out to cover these tossers taking the p*ss? I think I'd have been sacked a long time ago....

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
SSP ONLY at my place.

Company sick pay was removed due to certain employees taking the P.

Funny how people now come in to work despite feeling a wee bit ill etc.

Managers do have discretion tho to pay u as normal if they feel you are genuinely off sick and have a good record in not taking sick days.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
We have so many months on full pay then it goes to half pay but it depends on your length of service. It's helped me out a few times as I've had a couple of episodes of long-term sickness (2 and 3 months) due to injury but I've always been on full pay. The injuries were sustained at work anyway so it's only right that they pay me!!

There are people that take the piss though and throw sickies left, right and centre because they get paid. It's these people that my boss says they are cracking down on but nothing ever seems to happen[:cool:]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rule at our work is 3 days full pay and then SSP, keeps long term sick in check for those on that contract.  Through aquisitions I think others in the business are on other schemes. I am on the 3 day then SSP so I don't want to be injuring myself.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Yep, SSP I think here too.

I think its no pay for
the first day, then half pay after that. We are quite flexible with
holidays so most people take the day as holiday if they are ill.

Saying
that, I'm not completely sure because I've only had a week off sick
when I got bitten by my dog and couldn't go to work. I'm sure I took
that as holiday.

As such, like above we have very few people who
take the P. If they do its their money they are losing and thats they
way it should be.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My last employers who I worked full time for, for two and a half years only offered SSP.

In November last year I was admitted to hospital after an incident at work and ended up in hospital for the remainder of November, most of December, and back in again for most of January. Including recouperation time at home I was off work for three and a half months.

Three months on SSP is hell. The monthly bills don't suddenly get cheaper because you are suddenly bringing home substantially less pay a month.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
We get full pay but my line manager doesn't believe in going sick where possible, we can work from home instead it seems! [:mad:]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
We get full pay but my line manager doesn't believe in going sick where possible, we can work from home instead it seems! [:mad:]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I dont get sick pay or holiday pay

Its in my Day Rate so im told .......And thats even as i am PAYE

In the years ive been working ie 20 year ive had a total of 10 day off sick ,

first 5 days i couldnt walk ( knee operation) that was 6 years ago

and about a month ago i was off again in hospital for 5 days

even the manager above me said i should have been paid for the time i had in hospital

thiers people at my work who take time off for a day or two just for cold's or flu or stupid ilnesses and they get full pay

ssp sucks .....

Oh and sickness is for whimps ....lol

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
she had 2 days off as "the decorators were in" ( IYKWIM )
Are you joking, its not an illness...

Its like pregnancy, going on leave at say 6 months when they are perfectly capable of working. Why? I have seen women at work at 8 and a half months...

As for SSP or full pay, I think it should be at the descretion of your manager. People who take the pish 'should' soon learn...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
My last employers who I worked full time for, for two and a half years only offered SSP.

In November last year I was admitted to hospital after an incident at work and ended up in hospital for the remainder of November, most of December, and back in again for most of January. Including recouperation time at home I was off work for three and a half months.

Three months on SSP is hell. The monthly bills don't suddenly get cheaper because you are suddenly bringing home substantially less pay a month.
You could have argued that the incident at work would be covered by their liability cover and you should be on full pay, in the right circumstances.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts