Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since iam having to drive 100 miles down the motorway a day to work and back (twice in one day) [:(]

I need ways to save money as my 2.0 golf like to drink.. so anyway ive discovered if i drive to work at a very boring 60mph and sit behind a massive HGV my golf can then do a average trip of 41mpg!!! which I think is damn good for a petrol car with 116k miles on lol

Specially since I used to boot there and back and it would then do half of that... anyone else with some good mpg figures??

EDIT... also if anyone spots me down the M2/A2 or M20 drafting Lorries you know why lol [:$]

·
Registered
615 Posts
I personally can't do 60mph on the Motorway, it would do my head in [:mad:] plus I have a heavy right foot.

Most i've achieved in the 3 months or so of owning a 2litre Bora is-

42mpg on A-roads,

33mpg on Motorway at about 80-85mph.

Most from a tank is 360miles.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I often drive 43 miles into Central London (Liverpool St) to and from work in my revo 1.8turbo. Sitting in the fast lane behind the next car all the way down the A1 and getting to my job (driving about 45 mins through London morning traffic) will see me get around 36-38mpg. I got to Wembley Stadium in 39mpg one morning doing the same thing aswell.

All depends on how hard you drop your right foot and when you change gears.

Its what i love so much about my car. Quicker than 80? percent of the cars on the road, 5 seats so i can fit a lot of people in, pretty reasonable mpg return with pretty good reliability (touch wood).

·
Registered
140 Posts
I averaged 33mpg when driving home on the motorway after first collecting my R32 [:p]

Its been around the 17 > 22mpg ever since (and I NEVER have the realttime trip on, always the average setting!) [:$]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
My daily commute see between 48-55mpg most days, thats over 35 miles, of which about 28 are m'way.

Best I've ever had was 74mpg @ 56mph whilst slip streaming a truck during the last fuel protests..............

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't managed to get anything over 29mpg yet [*-)] though I have not had a proper long run as I only got it at xmas and its having some warranty work done at the moment.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ive also seen a noticable improvement since getting Revo too.

So if you're in two minds (you shouldn't be!) for getting a remap. much better performance plus better fuel effeciency = well worth it

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i went on a 20 mile round trip last week mainly motorway with a couple of miles town traffic , i was amazed as the v6 averaged 32mpg , i hadn't been in the 30's for ages [:O]

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think my fuel consumption is pathetic. I've not actually put in a full tank since I got the car. Usually 20 quid fills halfway and I get about 140 miles, which equates to less than 30mpg!? Anyone here who could give me a bit of advice as to why?

I've got a K&N 57i intake on order which I was hoping might let the engine breatha little better and more efficiently but Im not sure that will solve it. Any advice is appreciated !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to make you all feel much better, 2 weeks ago i filled up a full tank (~?42).

The car had travelled a whopping 240 miles!? According to the computer it was about 22mpg!!!!

The car? 1.6 8v but crutially 4 speed auto. (to be fair was driven for short distances in town but it was also driven very lightly)

Thats part of the reason im researching my next car.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
the 1600 8v's must not be very efficient then, book mpg is 36, but its hard to keep that figure unless your always on the motorway. early to mid 20's was usually a more realistic figure for me, not thrashing but just driving it

·
Registered
21 Posts
I normally get about 55-60mpg going to work which is about 35miles, 27 are motorway (doing 80ish).

I've had it over 70mpg before on a long trip through country lanes!

Get a diesel if you do long journeys.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
normally 35-40mpg on my 25mile journey to work. all A roads, and some towns/city. Best i got on this journey was 41mpg!

I got 38mpg on a trip to birmingham (about 100miles) last weekend. which i was quite impressed with, as im not one to sit at 70 all the way. [:p]

my once a month trip to nottingham i get about 35mpg normally (200miles) but thats big mixture or a roads, motorways and towns.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts