Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

You trust the garage?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Rotara 
#1 ·
After a slight mishap (girlfriend backing in to my car with hers), it was left in for a repaint of both left side doors. Only paint damage. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Turns out I forgot something in the car, so I went back to the garage today to get the thing out of it. I find the car parked outside the garage ? assume it is waiting for the panels to get painted. The rain is poring down real heavy, and when I get close to the car I can see that three of the windows are slightly open ? rain poring in to the car. Passenger seat is wet from rain and is filled with mechanical parts (no protection on that seat). Also, the doors without panels are also being rained upon; among other things the speakers are getting drenched. <o:p></o:p>

Needless to say I was furious and went in to see the manager of the garage, he of course regretted what had happened (or that I had seen it) but did not think the seats or speakers would be damaged. I demanded a piece of paper from him stating what I had seen, after 5 minutes of argument he ran out of excuses and wrote me a note. <o:p></o:p>

This is why I HATE leaving my car in for any work??.<o:p></o:p>

Here are some pictures taken with my phone (lousy quality).

<o:p></o:p>

See less See more
#8 ·
Only a slight mark, they say it is standard protocol that that send the skin off to a painter, and to not occupy the garage the cars waiting for the painting are parked outside. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The process of getting two doors repainted takes 10 (!) working days. <o:p></o:p>

Thanks for all of your support - was thinking I was a tad picky with my car...........

#9 ·
I would go absolutely nuts at them.  The interior will most likely be stained by the rain - undoubtedly water will still be on the doors when they seal it up and the car will smell damp.  Once you get damp in the car it will start to smell for ever, especially in Sweden where it will have no chance to dry out for the next 7 months.  

#13 ·
Thats bad mate. No excuse for that.

I'd write a letter to the MD/director of said company, with pics, explaining that you will be forwarding this to your insurer. If they have a big contract with your insurer that will no doubt get someone worried. I'd advise your insurers as well anyway....

Its not on, and I would have gone mad. You entrust your car with them. You expect them to look after it...

#14 ·
they say it is standard protocol that that send the skin off to a painter
I am amazed at that! its not standard protocol in the uk; so ensure you check inside the doors for the overlaps being tidy, sealed and painted. I take it they also ensure rustproofing is replaced after the factory seal is now broken.
#

It is standard practice on a MK5 ... it was one of the most revolutionary parts of the new golf... all panels are removable independently and door, boot and roof skins can be removed and replaced.... they dont have sealant or bonding holding them to the door frame...

If I found one that had been sealed and painted on I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole as it means its had a dodgy repair

#16 ·
I would say the parts on the seta are OK.. they are the trim and clips from the doors, the painter has left them there so they know which doors they are off, they could be bagged up but that could mean the get mixed up and scratch against eachother.. the trims are lightweight and clean so I wouldnt worry about the trim.

I would however worry about the speakers that is out of order.... if it was my car I would be quite happy as it looks like its been done with care .. however I wouldnt be happy about the windows or speakers.

#19 ·
That is a bad show, I would have been most unhappy to see it! So far though mine has been back in twice for a dodgy alarm (just hit 1000 miles..) and I've noticed two small dents in my drivers door seal and it did come back the first time with a dent in the passengers door piller which I was told was due to overtightning of a bolt there which they pushed out but it's not perfect..[:(]

My life can't be too bad though as all I seem to worry about is scratched Monza's, small dents and small marks on my leather...[:$]

#20 ·
Not good,but this is how they work these days,not really bothering about our property once in their hands,as you pointed out unless you had not returned you would of been none the wiser.If they are spraying the two door skins,they would usually need to spray in the rear and front wing to get a match.Hope this turns out ok for you,I know when I brought a new Fiesta Rs Turbo back in 1991and this got reversed into by a LYNX lorry,once repaired I sold it on,cant stand anything damaged,but as this is only paint providing the match is the same I guess it will be fine....[Y]

#21 ·
A car will NEVER be the same once one part is repainted. It's bad enough to try & match up against the factory baked coat, then you have to take into account wear & natural fade etc.. That's why standard practice is to blend the paint job in with perfectly good panels, not to paint independently, it is possible under scrutiny to differentiate between the factory & repair panels.. This has all the makings of a bad repair job.
I've said it before & i'll say it again this is my first & last VW.
I hope your car comes back in perfect condition & you get ample compensation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.