Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have a colleague who on a daily basis tells me how poo Mk4 golfs are and tries to make me feel ashamed for having what he calls a fat ugly car and says that the mk4 ruined golfs forever!

Wondered if you can all help to win my battle and show him just how great the mk4 golf and golfs in general are and always will be?????

Cheers [8)]

·
Banned
774 Posts
The MKIV is a good car but he does have a point, although I'd argue that the MKIII is where the rot started.

Thing is to most people the GTI is the Golf and you can't really argue that the 2.0 was a GTI. Big mistake by VW IMHO and has led to the attitude you are decrying.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he has a dark green 206 and is forever complaining about it so dont think he has much of a case.

..and sammyboy your not supposed to agree with him!!!! [^] i actually dont prefer the mk1's as i like modern cars but i can see (i spose) where the coolness has decreased through the years...

..Dont think i will show him this thread afterall... [:(]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Quote: posted by sammyboy on 24/03/2005 17:22:02

The MKIV is a good car but he does have a point, although I'd argue that the MKIII is where the rot started.

Thing is to most people the GTI is the Golf and you can't really argue that the 2.0 was a GTI. Big mistake by VW IMHO and has led to the attitude you are decrying.

just curious, why did you buy a mk4? and buy a diesel?

·
Banned
774 Posts
I don't really agree with him but I can understand why he's formed this view. Especially with regard to recent press on the MKIV slagging it off.

As we all know the MKIV is a fine car and obviously your 1.6 is better than his crappy pug. Ever actually driven one of them, absolute and total carp. Built badly, drives badly and they couldn't even get the 180 right. I'd take a base model 1.4 MKIV over one of those any day. They aren't even fun to drive, I should know the hire car company keeps victimising me and providing me one!

·
Banned
774 Posts
Quote: posted by micky 32 on 24/03/2005 17:46:25

Quote: posted by sammyboy on 24/03/2005 17:22:02

just curious, why did you buy a mk4? and buy a diesel?

Bought a MKIV because it was a toss up between that and a BMW 330D. The MKIV came up first. I was sick of filling up every 180 miles or so in my previous car so had to get a high power diesel. The MKIV fitted the bill and it's a very nice car now I've lived with it for a bit.

Also diesel costs about 65p/ltr here at the moment compared with 74p for 98 RON SUL.

I also own a MK2 GTI which if I'm honest is a lot more fun than my MKIV.

·
Registered
493 Posts
In standard, out of the box form I'd agree it's a bit weak. BUT it is a great base to make something really strong. Handling, Power, and looks can all be easily transformed on an everyday MK4. One thing it has in any form is QUALITY, unlike your mates 206.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote: posted by EstorilBlue on 24/03/2005 18:36:13

sammyboy, you chose a Golf Diesel over a 330D??? How odd.

Very odd indeed. I could argue a golf TDI over maybe a 320D or petrol but never over a 330D. That engine is awesome.

·
Banned
774 Posts
There was about 5K in it ie sod all in the scheme of things between the Anniversary and the 330D. 320D even when chipped isn't nearly as fast as a REVO'd 150.

Wish I'd got the 330D Sport TBH.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote: posted by liquidshokk on 24/03/2005 17:17:21

Hi everyone

I have a colleague who on a daily basis tells me how poo Mk4 golfs are and tries to make me feel ashamed for having what he calls a fat ugly car and says that the mk4 ruined golfs forever!

Wondered if you can all help to win my battle and show him just how great the mk4 golf and golfs in general are and always will be?????

Cheers [8)]

Tell your colleague he's the loser for buying French crap. ANY VW - even a 20 year old camper is better than his euro trash girls car. [:)]

OR

Ignore him totally cos he's obviously potless. I bet he shops at Aldi and buys his underwear from Ethel Austin too. [^]

OR

Give me his number and I'll arrange to meet him and punch him repeatedly in the face for even daring to say the word 'Golf' [:D]

Chances are, he'd love to own one but instead decides to slag them off cos he can't afford one.

Sarge

·
Banned
774 Posts
Sarge I know your heart is in the right place but can I point out theat GERMANY is in mainland Europe just like France (in fact right next to it in some places as if you didn't know!)

That said what car would you have one built buy a bunch of frogs on 2ltrs of red wine a day or our German friends, the model of efficiency taking their 10 a day 1/2 ltr lager habit safely after they finished work.

My vote goes with the people's car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm well aware of where Germany is Sammyboy however, you'll notice that the word euro is closely followed by two other words namely trash and girls. Maybe I was a bit kind adding the word car after them I prefer the sound of Euro trash girls skip! At the risk of sounding slightly xenophobic - I hate the french [^]

Sarge

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers guys, this thread has made me laugh [:D]

sarge - Cant wait to show him your response!!! Didnt realise there was so much hatred around for the french, seems you have an underlying issue with them! [^]

So the answer is really, that if i want to restore (Dumb) peoples faith in my car i need to do it up a bit. Going to start off small and get a K&N air filter soon and possibly some new alloys.. is it really that possible to transform a 1.6 mk4 golf S to something pretty impressive??? [8D]

Out of interest what kind of mods if any, do/have people informed insurance companies of? [xx(]

p.s feel free to keep the battle going against my colleague with the 206, i'm sure eventually it will bring him to silence.... [:D]

·
Registered
163 Posts
liquidshokk, as you say the best way to shut him up is to start modding...

My advice would be before anything else, get a Zymol starter kit for ?99 and get the car looking shiny! I take your car is Tornado red, my anni looks mint after the Zymol treatment.

cheers, jasew

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well ive always wondered what colour it is exactly.. this colour i think, which i believe is tornado red right? (couldn't find any photos on the net...) [:I]

Posted Image

its not bright red anyway...

·
Banned
774 Posts
Liquid the guys driving a 206 which means you alrady have at least one up on the guy to start with.

Screw him and what he thinks and says, you know that your car is the superior piece of engineering end of story.

Try driving a 206 for confirmation of this assertion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah i know deep down, its just originally for me it was a toss up between a 206 and a golf, my m8s swayed it by saying the 206 is a female hairdressers car, so went for the golf...my m8 has just been trying to make me doubt my decision... Think i can be safe in the knowledge from this topic that im not missing much not having a 206 [^]

..also i dont think i was right in saying the above is tornado red right?, is tornado red the bright post box sort of red and if so is there a name for the bergundy type red that i have?

(without smart @rses saying 'yeah its called bergundy red!!!' [:D]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts