Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only quick pics. OK, I removed my factory airbox and replaced with a K&N Typhoon, next, needed to get some cold air to it...

Ker-ching, thank you Mr VW dealer...

Posted Image

Held in by the finest quality genuine VW tapping screws (sorry for recycling pics from another post... no time to take better ones)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now for the techie bit, no VAG-COM, so have to do things the old fashioned way - electronic temperature sensor in the incoming air stream...

Posted Image

One blast down the A3 later...

Posted Image

[:D]

·
Registered
95 Posts
ok im well off topic but im liking the bottom right hand side of the first pic. MMM Jack Daniels.

anyways nice looking setup notice much more responce and noise.

·
Registered
924 Posts
hello mate, so shui ming what have you done or removed? and how is the typhoon kit, you notice any different?

will

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Looks good!... hmmm still think you should get an 80mm feed up to that there cone filter and some sort of heat shield to stop enging heat getting in there! your temp reading would be nearer the outside one then...

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I see its looking as good as ever mate , and i'm liking the electronic temperature sensor in the incoming air stream...[Y]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geeba: It's a 1.6, it won't go much faster without a rocket strapped to it [:D]

Cheers nosaj [Y]

Guys, have any of you removed your factory air ducting? Some of you have fitted Carbonios and the like so you're effectively no longer using the factory ducting. I need the three screws/nuts that hold in the really big piece to the grille, my parts guy says his database doesn't show them [:|] However, there are clearly three tabs with holes that line up to holes in the grille section, and at the moment it's flapping in the wind, only held in by the top pieces screwed to the top of the grille. I really need to bolt it on proper. It's the big piece at the bottom of the pic:

Posted Image

I'm offering a beer for these three screws and nuts.

Failing that I'll just nip down to B&Q for some generic stuff.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
not sure if im missing somthing here you got a load of VW plastic bits  which my car already has which must provide the smallest air outlet ive seen . did your car not have all these plastic bits (as mine does)behind the headlamp?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not sure if im missing somthing here you got a load of VW plastic bits which my car already has which must provide the smallest air outlet ive seen . did your car not have all these plastic bits (as mine does)behind the headlamp?
Not all cars had those plastic bits. The 1.4 and 1.6 have the airbox right on top of the engine. The 1.4 had various designs of ducting that went to the left rather than to the right behind the nearside headlamp. The 1.6 16V airbox just had a hole facing sideways in the air stream coming from the hole in the grille.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
There is also another piece of piping you can get from VW that feeds
the air in from the front of the car into the pieces that you already
have

Posted Image

If your in no rush, I can dig my one of these out of storage when I back for xmas if you want to save a few extra pennies.

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,440 Posts
Geeba: It's a 1.6, it won't go much faster without a rocket strapped to it [:D]

Cheers nosaj [Y]

Guys, have any of you removed your factory air ducting? Some of you have fitted Carbonios and the like so you're effectively no longer using the factory ducting. I need the three screws/nuts that hold in the really big piece to the grille, my parts guy says his database doesn't show them [:|] However, there are clearly three tabs with holes that line up to holes in the grille section, and at the moment it's flapping in the wind, only held in by the top pieces screwed to the top of the grille. I really need to bolt it on proper. It's the big piece at the bottom of the pic:

Posted Image

I'm offering a beer for these three screws and nuts.

Failing that I'll just nip down to B&Q for some generic stuff.
That bottom section is held on by 'plastic rivets' --- they can be taken apart and snapped back in again (rivet is in two parts). Don't know if you can get these separately (I'll check for a part number later)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, thanks mate. I was thinking you'd have to take the bumper off to put the nuts behind. I know at least one of them I could place a nut behind the hole if pushed, but it makes much more sense to have rivets that push in from one side only. The bolts/washers for the Audi S3 lower strut brace are like this, so you can bolt it in entirely from below as the "nut" collapses and becomes captive.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
ok i see , but surely the 82mm pipe to feed nice cold air straight in would have made more sense, but hey its done now and i suppose a 1.6 is not gonna shift as much air as a 150tdi which in VW's view the ducting you are now using was adequate.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If your in no rush, I can dig my one of these out of storage when I back for xmas if you want to save a few extra pennies.
Cheers mate, that's very kind. I did ask my parts guy about that bit but he said there are several versions depending on your airbox, but since I don't have an airbox as such I wasn't sure which one to go for. All I wanted was something to duct it just that bit closer to the filter. As the ducting is not coupled to the filter, my thinking is that it's sufficient to just have the surrounding area around the filter filled with cool(er) air.

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,440 Posts
I think you will have to take the bumper off if you are going to attached that section using all three original attachment points. The lower one is shown as ringed in the picture. (its not like a rivnut -- its just a plastic two part fastener where one section pushes into the other and expands to hold it in) -- probably better off just using small nut/screw.

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
LOL I've got one of those temperature sensor/display gadgets too and I was also thinking of using it for much the same purpose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts