Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I had a couple of questions about renting/buying property. I'm moving near Cambridge, but I need to find a place to live. I have found some websites that show rental properties. I'm am unsure of what some of the real estate terms are like, single bedroom, double bedroom, semi-detached and so on. Is there a good reference I can use out to help out the explanation of terms.? Thanks! Also are there frequent VW meets in Cambridge?

Patrick

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Patrick

Where abouts are you moving to near Cambridge? Im from that area myself and know it quite well.

With regards to terms used by estate agents;

Single bedroom = room big enough for a single bed for one person + wardrobe etc

Double bedroom = room big enough for a double bed for two people + wardrobe etc

semi-detached means that there are two houses next to each other which are joined in the middle

detached is a house on its own (you can walk right around it )

terrace is a house which is in a row of three or more all connected

Hope this helps and give me a shout if you need any more info..

with regards to meets in Cambridge, i have only just become a Mk IV owner so have not been to any but do know that there have been some and probably will be again, just keep checking the forum...

Happy house hunting [8-|]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
[EDIT] Beaten to it!

Not really, probably easier to just post your questions here! Unfortunately Cambridge is one of the most expensive places in the UK for 'normal' housing....for the record we don't have real estate brokers here, so you have to shop around between estate agencies to find what you want and the level of intelligence and service quality will be far below what you might expect.

Single Bedroom : Small room large enough for a single bed. Double Bedroom: Room large enough for a double bed (4'6" being the smallest bed you can call a double). By US standards though you might be suprised, you can call it a double
bedroom if a double bed fits with about 2ft of walking space around two
sides...and sometimes agents lie and there is barely room for the bed itself.

Terraced: What you would probably call a town house, i.e. houses attached on both sides

Bungalow: Single story house

Semi Detached (attached to another house)

Posted Image

Detached

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
cambridge is really nice, you'll like it there.

terraced, i think the cosby's lived in a terraced house, the simspons live in a detached and the golden girls may have lived in semi or a bunglaow, [:D]

not being condesending!

rightmove.co.uk is good for seeing what an area has to offer

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I didn't expect feed back so quick. Anyway thank you for the replies. I'm look for a place on the east side of Cambridge. I am getting stationed at RAF Mildenhall and was interested somewhere in between the two locations, preferably closer to Cambridge since my girlfriend will be going to the University. I'll check out those links. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
are you getting your car shipped over too? or selling and buying a uk registered mk4?   how rare would that be thou! a yellow mk4! can say only see 1 and even that was only a picture! mine is nearly yellow! with hint of gold!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are you getting your car shipped over too? or selling and buying a uk registered mk4? how rare would that be thou! a yellow mk4! can say only see 1 and even that was only a picture! mine is nearly yellow! with hint of gold!
Haha, yeah the car is comming too. =)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Loving your car mate is it the 20th anni version u had over there? with the votex splitter?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be in the UK for 3 years and looking forward to it. The Car is a 2003 20th Anni LHD. Umbrella is ready to go!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow, I didn't expect feed back so quick. Anyway thank you for the replies. I'm look for a place on the east side of Cambridge. I am getting stationed at RAF Mildenhall and was interested somewhere in between the two locations, preferably closer to Cambridge since my girlfriend will be going to the University. I'll check out those links. Thanks again!
Try Newmarket its about halfway between Mildenhall and Cambridge and not a bad town.....

I live near RAF Mildenhall myself, small little village called West Row.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try Newmarket its about halfway between Mildenhall and Cambridge and not a bad town.....

I live near RAF Mildenhall myself, small little village called West Row.....
?

Hey Thanks! I will see what Newmarket has to offer. How far of a drive, in minutes, is it from new market to Cambridge University?

·
Registered
188 Posts
No worries,

Cambridge is about a fifteen / twenty minute drive from Newmarket but then you have to find parking etc

Like wise RAF MIldenhall is probably about the same but in the other direction,

Ive found a map for you of the local area, most of the travel is along the A14 or A11

Also have a look at Red Lodge its a little further from Cambridge than Newmarket but also has good access to the A11/A14

Whats your girl studying, and at which college?

Map

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ely is a nice quiet city, with a river, cathedral etc. About 20 minutes drive from Cambridge, or a quick train ride with the direct link.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Cambridge is a very nice city, not overbuilt, loads of open spaces, a nice river and many many places to eat and drink. Only problem are all the students on bikes [;)] Summer is best time, lots of beautiful lady students!

City centre will be more expensive to rent a room, outer villages/towns will be cheeper though but I don't know all that much on rental prices. If you do live out of Cambridge, commuting in the morning between 8:00 and 9:30, expect to queue! I arrive to work in Cambridge at 7:30, perfect! Returning home, between 4:30 and 6:00 expect to queue. Avoid, if you can, having to commute on the A14 as this is one of the most congested dual carriageways in the country and at rush hour, forget it if you are in a rush!

Be wary of speed cameras, quite a few in 30mph zones here. As for parking, always a pain but there are always the "park and ride" sites.

Cambridge has fairly low rainfall [:^)][um]

Next nearest uni to do Masters would be in London (just a quick trip on the train) or perhaps Oxford (not a million miles away) or the University of East Anglia in Norwich?

And there is a Curry Meet in town sometime in October!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts