Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope someone can possibly put a link up to show what i need.i have just got a intel mac which comes with macs osx installed,i want to download bootcamp and install xp but the instructions say that it must include sp2? looked at xp on the bay but confused now as to which one i need as some are xpsp2 upgrade,some are academic etc etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you don't already have Windows XP, then i'd buy an OEM Copy. Home edition is something like ?57 from Scan (www.scan.co.uk). I wouldn't buy Software like that on eBay, too much chance of copied/unlicensed software and the savings are minimal.

If you've already got an early Windows XP Disc (up to Service Pack 1) then it's easy to use a process called slipstreaming to make a Windows XP with Service Pack 2 CD.

Personally, i'm waiting for the Mac Mini's to be fitted with Core2 Duo Processors, Apple to release OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and Microsoft to offer Vista for general sale.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tried adding the sp2 pack to my sp with that slipstream method but its beyond me so i guess its going to have to be a ride out to scan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i have the xp cd but its not got sp2 on it.just had a look at the link you suggested and it looks a bit easier to follow than another one i attempted! i may have another go tommorow but i think i would need a idiot guide to follow realy.thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No problem, let us know how you get on.

If you need a XP SP2 Disc sent to you, for use with your own license then i'd happily chuck a copy in the post.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hello mate, you definitely need an OEM version, as the upgrades only work from other Microsoft operating systems.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I would suggest going onto Windows XP Home Edition simply because the Professional version is geared up for networking and if you?re not going to use much networking you can't justify spending the extra money. As for the service pack 2 you mentioned, that can be downloaded from Microsoft or it can be ordered from Microsoft on CD which is free, you just have to wait for it to come through your letter box!<o:p></o:p>

Aiden [Y]<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi abe,thanks for the offer mate,aiden from what i have read the install disc has to have the sp2 pack on the same disc as xp,something to do with not being able to eject the disc on the minimac and i dont have the knowledge to be copying files and burning discs.the home edition sounds fine but would need the sp2 on the same disc and thats where i am starting to get confused because of the numerous different ways that software is marketed,the terminology used seems to take for granted that everyone understands it !! i dont unfortunately but i am beginning to learn bits.going to attempt slipstream again later.thanks for all your help so far everyone.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
hi abe,thanks for the offer mate,aiden from what i have read the install disc has to have the sp2 pack on the same disc as xp,something to do with not being able to eject the disc on the minimac and i dont have the knowledge to be copying files and burning discs.the home edition sounds fine but would need the sp2 on the same disc and thats where i am starting to get confused because of the numerous different ways that software is marketed,the terminology used seems to take for granted that everyone understands it !! i dont unfortunately but i am beginning to learn bits.going to attempt slipstream again later.thanks for all your help so far everyone.
Hello again mate, well if you need the service pack 2 to be on the windows XP home disk you can purchase them off eBay from trusted IT professionals, I purchased one for my mum not so long back, for ?47.99 on a buy it now auction, as long as you read the description carefully and the seller has good feedback I don't see a problem, I see where a couple of chaps are coming from that say don't buy software of eBay, but as long as you buy with caution you will be fine, the one I bought was an OEM version of XP home and it was in a completely sealed box so no worries about pirate copies there!

Good luck in finding what you need.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Aiden[Y]<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Do you own a Xp pro license?

if so then there's no reason why i can't copy an XPSP2 pro disk and send it to you.

however without a full license (i.e. not an OEM license that came preinstalled on another machine) the disc is not much good to you

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a mate copied me a xp pro disc and he gave me a keycode number with it,is that a license?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
a mate copied me a xp pro disc and he gave me a keycode number with it,is that a license?
Correct that is the license, but if you plan to update your software via microsoft and get the latest patches and security patches the chances are it won't work because somebody else is using that license code... Have a search on google and ebay and see if you can find a genunine sealed copy of windows on there, once you have paid for it, its yours forever then and you will be able to get every update microsoft release.

Aiden [Y]

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
is your friend still using that license on his pc?

if so its no good to you

if not you are free to use it and with the correct disc (which you can get from anywhere, i can get you xpsp2 disc) you are good to go!

·
Registered
894 Posts
How come this (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=15466&GroupID=0) is only just over half the price of what such as PC world sell for the same product and even more than their upgrade version?

And how does the free Vista upgrade work?

I'm currently trying to sort my PC so i can get all the microsoft updates, but can't currently due to not having a unique product code.

Thanks
It's an OEM version for system builders and it has to be bought with some hardware hence the free mouse.

Try a google search on the vista coupon upgrade, lots of info around, it does seem that it best to buy the Media Center version of XP to get the best version of Vista free.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts