Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no sidelights anymore??

Switch on your 'sidelights' and your indicators turn a hazy orange quite like the current 5 series.

No more yellow sidelights ruining the xenon buzz...

Only took me 4-5 weeks to cop on [:O]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So did I.. now there is a bulb there for when you use your high beams which come on with the bi xenon but apart from that, the lights stay off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a sidelight under the Xenon beside the indicator which is a white (yellowish) bulb.

I wonder have they changed it since the MY05 model or is it that way for the Irish market.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I have a sidelight under the Xenon beside the indicator which is a white (yellowish) bulb.

I wonder have they changed it since the MY05 model or is it that way for the Irish market.
I was thinking the same, mine is a MY05..with sidelights[:D]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They're not sidelights are they? My understanding is that sidelights are to the side of your main headlight bulb and also are used as parking lights if you leave the indicator on and take the key out?

My indicator strip lights up like the above picture alright.. although I didn't think you got a bit of xenon light off them too!

·
Registered
46 Posts
So they look nothing like this? Maybe they just forgot to put the bulbs in at the factory!!

Mine look completley different to that - the bottom sidelight part of the headlight is the usual yellow colour! What year was your car manufactured/have you added sidelight bulbs as aftermarket extras?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got it new this January. The sidelights in non-xenon headlights are positioned with the full beam but are as above with xenons. I have changed the bulbs to slightly whiter ones but they basically look the same as when I first got it. Can you post a photo of yours to show the difference?

Here's an old photo with the headlights on (but in daylight) with the original sidelight bulbs.

·
Registered
907 Posts
With xenons the sidelights have always been mounted below the dipped beam alongside the indicator. In one strip/two sections.

[:$] easy to presume they're no sidelights.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As can be seen, first pic is with xenons on for normal driving.

Second picture is just the sidelights on.. no xenons.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As can be seen, first pic is with xenons on for normal driving.

Second picture is just the sidelights on.. no xenons.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine are the same as yours Irish. Gavin I like the look of your sidelights on your earlier post. [Y] Where did you get those bulbs / what make are they?

·
Registered
752 Posts
So, if you dont mind me asking, what's the light beside the Xenon headlamp? Is it just for when you pull the lever towards you like to flash someone? I used to think it was the full beam light, however I thought the golf Xenon option was Bi-Xenon?

·
Registered
907 Posts
The light beside xenon projector indeed is the full beam, the Mk5 Golf xenon option is only dipped beam - not bi-xenon.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I thought the golf Xenon option was Bi-Xenon?
No - they are described by VW as gas discharge dipped beam headlights - not bi-xenon. So, when you really need the power of xenon (full beam) and have paid £700 or so for the privelege - you have not got it. How do they get away with it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I thought the golf Xenon option was Bi-Xenon?
No - they are described by VW as gas discharge dipped beam headlights - not bi-xenon. So, when you really need the power of xenon (full beam) and have paid £700 or so for the privelege - you have not got it. How do they get away with it?
i think you'll find that in the new brochure and price list it clearly states that the lights are bi-xenon, apparantly this was an upgrade from earlier models. the centre lights come on with the bi-xenons as full beam so you have 2 sets of full beam running, they are mainly for when you flash tho because apparantly a bi-xenon cannot give a quick flash say to let someone out of a junction for example.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I spoke to someone at a dealership earlier in the year and he said that every mk5 with the xenon option that they'd sold had been bi-xenon, even though the brochure said dipped beam only.

If your headlights are off and you use the flasher only the centre bulbs light. If they're on the centre bulbs light and the xenons flick to full beam. If you try this with the engine off you can actually hear the mirrors behind the xenon bulb move.

I got them from this guy on ebay. Very cheap mod and look a hell of a lot better than the stock bulbs. The photo doesn't really do them justice. When I first fitted them they didn't seem bright enough but now they seem fine. Not sure if they've got brighter over time or if I've just got used to them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-sidelight-bulbs-golf-bora-lupo-passat-polo-vento_W0QQitemZ130016838255QQihZ003QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what kind of indicator bulbs are used with the xenons? Would like to change them to silver ones as the orange slightly ruins the look but they're a pig to get out. Seems like it's a headlight off job but don't really want to have to do this more than once if I can help it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts