Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Im new to the mk4 owners club, and i have yet another problem with xenons which im hoping to be helped with by you guys.

Ok, i own an R32 replica mk4 diesel in reflex silver 3/dr which im retrofitting xenon headlamps to, a 115 bhp on a 2001 to be precise (pics etc to follow shortly).

I recently purchased a set of xenons off ebay, item number 4583071322, along with a 10-12 pin adaptor from a german site.

I did a trail run, plugging it in, and found the sidelights, full beam and indicator to work properly, but not the xenon bulb itself.

This i have determined is due to a certain four pin connector near the top of each headlamp not forming a complete circuit with the wirning (see second ebay pic - near the top of each headlamp).

Now looking at my headlamps and in reference to the member 'smn20-v-t ' i have determined that both headlamps do have the 'ballast' on either side (the silver box as shown in the ebay link pics). The only difference is that the headlamp which appears to be missing this vital box on the outside does in fact have it, only its mounted internally not in a silver metal box but behind the black plastic you take apart to look inside the lamps within a black plastic box. I have determined this by tracing the wires and noticing each side corresponds.

Now back to the four pin connector problem.

Basically, a simplified system ---- an earth and a live wire runs through the adaptor from the standard loom, into the silver 'ballast' box, then two grey wires run out of that box to form a circuit with the bulb.

This is where the problem starts --------- As the earth and live run from the loom to the ballast, it is intercepter by a four pin connector (see ebay pics), which does not join each wire. Overall there is an earth wire and live wire going to the four pin connector via the ballast, and a live/earth going from the loom to the four pin connector. These should be joined i take it. THEREFORE THIS CONNECTOR IS NOT PROVIDING A COMPLETE CIRCUIT.

Consider the earth and live from the main loom to be numbers, '1' and '2'.

Wires '1' and '2' end at the 4-pin connector. '3' and '4', which are the same circuit, a earth and live, start from this 4-pin connection and travel to the ballast silver box. understandably i need whatever plugs into here.

Im unsure of what plugs into here, i think its the autoleveler.

Looking at item number on ebay 4586288496 , i think the item which connects it is pictured, its in the second picture above each headlamp.

Ive brought the headlamp into vw, and they dont know what goes into this 4 pin connector. If anyone knows what goes into this please tell me, or send me a part number so i can order it from vw. Or if anyone knows of any way around this, such as another adaptor etc... please get in touch.

Thanks for reading this far - and if ive complicated things my apologies!!

LIST OF MODS -

2001 MK4 GOLF 3DR, REFLEX SILVER, 115BHP SIX SPEED GTTDI, FULL R32 BODYKIT PAINSTAKINGLY COLLECTED VIA EBAY! - INCLUDING FRONT/REAR BUMPER/SKIRTS/SPOILER,HELLA REAR LIGHTS, 19'' BBS RIMS, 235/35/19! BREMBO BIG BRAKE CONVERSION ON FRONT CALIPERS, PROSPEED CUSTOM EXHAUST CAT-BACK, KAMEI FRONT GRILLE, PERFORMANCE CHIP, PRIVATE PLATE, CHINESE 'VW' LOGO IN CHROME ON REAR TAILGATE, STANDARD FULL LEATHER WITH HEATED SEATS, R32 INTERIOR HANDLES/ASHTRAY/GEARKNOB/FOOT PEDS, GRAB HANDLE SUNGLASSES REPLACEMENT HOLDER, CUBBY HOLE SIX-CD HOLDER REPLACEMENT, SOUND SYSTEM WITH DAB AND ALL THE USUAL 12 STACK ETC.., NEW STYLE FRONT WIPERS, SMOOTHED REAR WIPER,FULL CLOSURE WINDOW SYSTEM CORRESPONDS TO CENTRAL LOCKING, CHROME MIRROR REPLACEMENTS (S3 STYLE), XENON HEADLAMPS COMMING SOON...

Mike

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
IIRC the 4 pin plug is for the levelling motors, they look like similar
ones to those that smn-20v bought and are the earlier models that have
the power packs as part of the looms mounted in the wheelarches, the
silver boxes you have i don't think are actual power packs. for true
plug and play you need post 2003 model lights which have a silver box
on each

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bosch units. One side has a silver exterior control pack -  the passenger side, the other side, the d/s doesnt. Both have inside power packs though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there everyone. Still cant get my xenons working. Plugged them into the standard loom, all lights work except xenon. Heres some pics too.

Briefly i think the four pin connector for autoleveling is stopping the circuit to the main xenon beam.

OK, a simplified system ---- an earth and a live wire runs through the 10-12pin adaptor from the standard loom.

They go through 12-pin adaptor with the numbers pin 6 and 8.
The live (yellow wire) goes through 6 and the earth (brown wire) goes through 8.

These wires then go into the four pin connector on top of headlamp to form pin 1 and pin 2 .

This is the missing link.(see below for details)

Out of pins 3 and 4 are a red live and a blue earth. They go straight to the power pack.

Out of the power pack comes two grey wires which form a circuit with the bulb - circuit complete.

The missing link i think needs to be connected somehow, and i guess that the auto levelling system accounted for this and formed the 'bridge'.

Would anyone know how to solve this problem such as making a connector? i guess i could cut/solder the wires but i dont want to really do that because i dont want to cut the precious wires inside!!

(looking at the four pin connector at back of headlamp with each headlamp standing up normal, from left to right - 1, 2, 3, 4, )

1--blue wire (earth) running to power pack
2--red wire (live) running to power pack
3--yellow wire(live) running to loom
4--brown wire(earth) running to loom

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, mike

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Where are the power packs, I know the silver box attatched is the autolevelling box but all i could see inside was ignitors.

·
Registered
436 Posts
yeah think you find they the earlier ones.the n/s headlight has the metal box which is auto levelling, the wirin you mean that goes inside goes to the ignitiors and not the ballast, i was in same situation and was gutted as nobody seemed to know a great deal on them, i tried sourcing the ballasts and even 300 each from vw, i did what most recommended sold them on ebay and sourced 2003 ones with power pack on each light, but keep your 10-12 plugs as will work straight away with them, there was guy sellin a brand new set on ebay later ones rhd to think he was in portugal as he purchased them thinkin they were lhd, and thats another thing to look out for as there many lhd sets going round,anythin let me know il try and help if i can,

·
Registered
436 Posts
to be honest mate that guy should have said because i sent him questions about these and told him that they wouldnt fit and work without ballasts ive seen these relisted a couple of times from same seller

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so im learning more each day with this forum - thanks everyone. So the power packs are missing -- big grrrrrrrrr! That guy i bought them off should of said something for sure about that .....

The last picture i have has a box in the top right corner which i take is an igniter - ive been confusing these with power packs all along.....

Dont know what to say now...so has anyone a pic showing the new lights with the power pack on - i take it this power pack runs just before the igniter in the circuit of things?

So with everything said would ol' ebay be my best port of call?

Mike

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
on the early ones the power packs are part of the engine bay wiring
loom and are mounted in the wheel arches (iirc) so you really need to
find a breakers yard with one in to source the parts, or just sell them
on and buy the newer ones

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I agree that the best option would be to ring your local Vw breakers. I had the exact same prob tho and it worked out far cheaper to sell them on through ebay and buy the ones with ballasts attatched, Post 2003

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last post of the day i promise!!im away for the weekend anyways...

ive found what i im 99% certain what i need, is this item what plugs into the 4-pin connector i have the missing piece?

Does it contain the integrated power pack and wheel levelling, or is it just wheel levelling? And i take it it plugs into the 4 pin and completes the circuit?

Any feedback please would help me,,im a bit lost as you can see!!lol!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-IV-Xenon-Steuergeraet-Bosch-f-Litronic_W0QQitemZ8016529505QQcategoryZ44261QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 20 of 22 Posts