Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aftermarket Xenon kit to install, but the lenses of my bora headlights are made of plastic. Will they melt/discolour with the heat generated by the Xenons?

Any thoughts?

(Mods - sorry it's posted in the wrong place, but I'd quite like an answer to this soon!)

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
I can't answer your specific question,but I doubt they generate that much more heat the standard filament bulbs do.

Are you aware that HID headlights by law have to be self levelling,and have washers fitted as well?To the best of my knowledge,you will still get an MOT like this,but you COULD find the police aren't quite so leniant.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bet it's really difficult and expensive to fit headlight washers to a car withough it isn't it? I know you need a new washer bottle, but there must be more to it, tubes, the washers, drill a hole in the bumper, does the car have to know it has headlight washers, or do they wash at the same time as the windscreen washers?

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
The popup ones would be a sod to fit as a seperate item,but it'd probably be easier (although maybe not cheaper)to swap the whole bumper assembly with the washers,and where ever the self levelling mechanism is fitted as well.The self levelling function is for when you drive over the brow of a hill,which is bad enough with normal filament bulbs.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd imagine I'd have to get ot from a breakers yard wouldn't I? To get the parts separately may be an option, I'll look into it.

Anyone know where the auto levelling mechanism is?

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can get all the sensors and stuff to do the self levelling off ebay.de There seems to be kits available on there most of the time. I think Baker21 can sort you out with headlamp washers. I think that the self levelling and headlamp wash is only required by law for xenons fitted as original equipment so you should be ok if you do it yourself. I may be wrong on this, but as I've just fitted a bi-xenon kit from the group buy to my Bora, I hope that I'm not!The only things testable are beam pattern and aim, so as long as these two are correct your car will still pass the MOT.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think we both have a problem then - look here - nearly half way down a bloke from the department of transport says you have to have washers and auto levelling. I'm not even sure if auto levelling will be compatible with my.our xenons. Though, thinking about it, they're probably just modified manual headlight levellers - just plug in and go. How much are the self levelling things on ebay.de? Also, can you find me an e.g. as I've looked and can't find any.

On another note, what kind of lenses do you have on your bora? Mine are plastic and I was initially panicing that they would get burnt, but all seems fine!

I know the beam pattern's ok because I drew a line across the garage tracing the exact contour of the lights (which were levelled at an MOT a month ago) and they matched up when I was done!

·
Registered
470 Posts
The guy from the DOT says that the aftermartket kits are not legal
because they do not give the correct beam pattern, but if they it is
correct does that make them OK?

I've heard this about the self
levelling and headlamp washers before, but when I checked with an MOT
station they confirm that only aim and pattern were testable.
Hopefully, we'll be OK so long as keep the aim correct.

Did you buy yours from Foxy's group buy?

As far as I know my lenses are glass, I can't see any
recycling codes on them which would indicate that they are plastic, but
I could be wrong of course.

<> I'm considering buying some
OEM xenon headlamps from Bosch (cheaper then buying them from the
stealers) and using the ballasts from my kit with them, because I think
that the HID kit just shows up how bad the standard Bora headlamps are.

<>

<>If you go to ebay.de and search for "VW Bora xenon" you should find
the self levelling kits for about 200 euros and a few sets of Bora
xenon headlamps. Don't get too excited though as they will be LHD, so
no use to us!

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
I was told by the folks at Hella recently that ANY car fitted with HID headlights has to have washers and self-levelling fitted,because no matter when,or by whom they were fitted,they will still dazzle oncoming drivers.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The guy from the DOT says that the aftermartket kits are not legal
because they do not give the correct beam pattern, but if they it is
correct does that make them OK?

I've heard this about the self
levelling and headlamp washers before, but when I checked with an MOT
station they confirm that only aim and pattern were testable.
Hopefully, we'll be OK so long as keep the aim correct.

Did you buy yours from Foxy's group buy?

As far as I know my lenses are glass, I can't see any
recycling codes on them which would indicate that they are plastic, but
I could be wrong of course.

<> I'm considering buying some
OEM xenon headlamps from Bosch (cheaper then buying them from the
stealers) and using the ballasts from my kit with them, because I think
that the HID kit just shows up how bad the standard Bora headlamps are.

<>

<>If you go to ebay.de and search for "VW Bora xenon" you should find
the self levelling kits for about 200 euros and a few sets of Bora
xenon headlamps. Don't get too excited though as they will be LHD, so
no use to us!
i suppose the only way to test would be to have a good look around. I bought mine from the current group buy going on now by Genuine (xenonlightsource) - less that helpful I must say. I e-mailed saying I was having trouble finding a place to fit the ballast, they e-mailed back saying that it's easy and they've had no one else not able to do it. Lovely, but that reply didn't help me did it?! Anyway, my plastic lenses are fine as the lights were on for 1/2 hour today and there's no marks.

I know exactly what you mean about the standard lights though, they're pants! Hmmm... looked on ebay.de but no joy as my German isn't that good!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I asked my MOT station about the washers and they never knew anything about it !!!  So I would just keep shtum at MOT time and keep hold of your old lights just in case !!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts