Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

Ive bought a pair of xenon lights from my local breaker for my mk4 golf and was told they were a plug and play upgrade so i plugged em in and ........... nowt happened no light, nothing. does anyone know if i need something else to go with these from the car like relays or loom alterations etc as im a bit stumped. The offside one has an extra plug on the top behind the indicator which my loom appears not to have a plug for aswell.

any help would be much appreciated.

thx

Andy

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
What age was the car they came from? If the car is Pre 2003 its unlikely they are just Plug and play (as they have seperate ballasts that must be mounted under the wing along with the required wiring), and in any case you would still need an adapter loom for all xenons.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they came from an 03 car and have like a metal box on the back of each one(i assumed was the power packs)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

going onto an 02 car

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The metal boxes are the integrated ballasts.

You will need 2 off 10-12 pin converter leads for them to function correctly.

I think the car has a 10 pin plug and the Xenon headlights have a 12 pin socket.

If you then want the manual level adjustment to work inside the car you will have to add an additional 2 cores to the 10-12 pin leads and perform a small mod inside each headlight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice one gary(youre not coming to skeg in the near future are ya lol with ya wire snippers lol)can i get this loom converter from the dealers or is it a home made job

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Its a home made job Im afraid, you could get the parts from VW though to do it.

I got mine from Foxy (member on here) though I believe he is having a few problems with his Xenon supplier in Germany, not sure if this will affect the 10-12 pin adaptor leads though as he could be sourcing these from elsewhere.

Taken from Foxy's web site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/index.htm :

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Twohats on 13/03/2005 14:46:10

oh yeah and greg they were just short of ?100 fine english pounds m8.[:D]

What a bargain!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
better get searchin breakers then hadnt i,surely rthen dont realise what they worth, couldnt you have go tthe wirin and loom off the car they came off? or already off the car

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gary youre a star m8!! A bargain if i can get em working lol. so what is the second plug on the offside light for?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Twohats on 13/03/2005 14:53:23

Gary youre a star m8!! A bargain if i can get em working lol. so what is the second plug on the offside light for?

I havent seen the second plug TBH. I have 2003 OEM Xenons and nothing else other than 10-12 pin adaptor leads going into them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SMM thats what ill probably try and do m8 cos the cars still there so i shall nip the plugs off the end and rewire mine to them. Is there anything else i need off the car to go with them do ya know gary? relays etc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the second plug is on the bottom pic just in front of the sticker with the lightning strike on it and appears to go in behind the indicator

·
Registered
436 Posts
find me some xenon's while your there lol. and thats what id do cut the plug and and soldier into your standard loom let me know how you go on mate as im lookin to get this done in very near future,

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yeah, I see it on the picture but Im sure I have nothing going into it.

The Mrs is out in the car at the moment, when she comes back I'll have a look at mine and let you know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cheers gary much appreciated m8.

SMM ill try and find you a set lol. im after a grille aswell cos the day after i bought the car a pheasant flew through it.. which was nice lol

1 - 20 of 55 Posts