Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GTi has the xenon lights and much as i love them they are really starting to p me off! On Friday night i drove from Yorkshire to London and I must have had over 30 people flash me for dazzling them...

Does anyone know if there is a way of manually setting them lower as they do seem to light up every motorway sign like a searchlight!

Also does anyone else have this prolem with their xenons!??

·
Registered
136 Posts
ha ha funny you should say that I just got flashed then full beamed by some twat on the way home, so I full beamed them back.

If they wan't full beam I will give it to them.

Been having that problem for 7 months, the other one is when the going
home lights stay on in a car park and someone runs up to you to tell
you, when you tell them they will go off they sort of look at you in
disgust for wasting their time ha ha [:p]

I'm back to plain old lights tommorow when I trade in my GTi, but hey thats another story I have already mentioned.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I have a problem with xenons coming towards me, horrible things, though lovely for the driver. I'm surprised they ever got through our regulations to be honest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell me about it Stu.... have totally lost count of the amount of times someone has blurted out "you've left your lights on mate...!"

The lights are bugging me now though... 3 cars in a row on the A1 flashed me as I went past them...

·
Registered
136 Posts
One of my mate's is a road traffic cop and he told me the only reason
they were legalised was due to the safety benefits out waying the
dangers, i.e. blinding other people.

He said that due to the fact the illuminate the road better they legalised them. Not sure how true it was.

I'm off down my local 5-a-side pitch to get some floodlights to fit to
the top of my car, I'm sure they will also light up a dark country road

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Ive had my car for 2 weeks now and never been flashed yet.

Followed a few peeps after the northwest meet today and they said nowt so mine must be ok..[:)]

·
Registered
176 Posts
i always notice cars with xenons in my rear view, as they bounce around
in the road feels like i keep getting flashed in the eyes!

same as when they come towards you, they are blinding! thats not stopping me getting them though ahah :)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Although not on a MK5 and not Xenon, my R1's projector lights result in me being flashed any time I am out at night too. On a bike, that can be quite dangerous though and I sit with the finger over the beam button to retaliate but it is a pain in the derrier......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe it's just a black 5 door thing??

I also get flashed a fair bit when out at night, so when it went to the dealer for them to sort a few things out I asked them to look at the xenons height. After checking them he said they said they were fine, he then sort of off record said that as they are constantly adjusting their height due to the car going up and down, on a bumpy road they have problem keeping up!

Of course a car running on 18" and at a fair old lick the car will be moving on the vertical yaw a bit more, you may get flashed all the time! I just give them a good 2 second burst on main beam which should leave them seeing big green orbs as their retinas recover.......

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Maybe it's just a black 5 door thing?? I also get flashed a fair bit when out at night, so when it went to the dealer for them to sort a few things out I asked them to look at the xenons height. After checking them he said they said they were fine, he then sort of off record said that as they are constantly adjusting their height due to the car going up and down, on a bumpy road they have problem keeping up! Of course a car running on 18" and at a fair old lick the car will be moving on the vertical yaw a bit more, you may get flashed all the time! I just give them a good 2 second burst on main beam which should leave them seeing big green orbs as their retinas recover.......
Thats great until they collide with you and take your wing mirror off or something as they got startled

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have Xenons on mine and have been flashed enough times on the
motorway. Usually just let i tgo as the auto dim mirrors inside leave
me seeing the road in front perfectly. Will get my dealer to make sure
the alignment is correct, although on an open stretch looks spot on!

·
Registered
207 Posts
The xenons on my TT are always causing people to flash at me - they get a shock when I give them a full beam back! At first I assumed they were out of adjustment and had Audi check them - there was nothing wrong of course. I get seriously fed-up with people falshing at me, especially when half of them drive with their front fog lights on all the time - which is in fact illegal (unless it's foggy of course!). Fact is they are brighter and in a car with hardish suspension will give the effect of being poorly adjusted when you go over bumps. Mine self adjust and I'm sure that's the same on the Golf. Like many have already said, great for the driver but not for people coming the over way.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Sometimes i get it, sometimes i dont. I was fine for about 3 weeks, then last friday 3 people flashed me in the space of 1.5miles... gave them a taste of xenon goodness in return though... needless to say they probs wont be doing it for a while.

What gets me is when waiting to turn and they flash you, I always wait til they slowdown b4 pulling out, but when i am waiting to turn right they are coming at me @ 30mph flashing their mainbeams... it could result in a nasty bang!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had this problem for the first time over the weekend when I drove on
the motorway at night from London to Newcastle. Didn't have any
problems with people on the opposite side of the carriage way but
people on the inside lanes would often full beam as soon as I'd
passed. Would have liked to full-beam them back but that
would have meant slowing down and letting them past again to do it

I must say though that at night on a nearly empty motorway you can
really see how they light up the nearside of the road - must be becuase
of this that people of being dazzled. I remember passing a
car and the whole rear end of the car was lit up - I could even clearly
see the passengers in the back around and look through the rear screen
to see what was so bright!!!

I'll get the lights double checked the next time I'm at the dealers but
I've got a feeling that there's nothing wrong with them and people just
aren't used to xenons....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Maybe it's just a black 5 door thing??
I also get flashed a fair bit when out at night, so when it went to the
dealer for them to sort a few things out I asked them to look at the
xenons height. After checking them he said they said they were fine, he
then sort of off record said that as they are constantly adjusting
their height due to the car going up and down, on a bumpy road they
have problem keeping up!
Of course a car running on 18" and at a fair old lick the car will be
moving on the vertical yaw a bit more, you may get flashed all the
time! I just give them a good 2 second burst on main beam which should
leave them seeing big green orbs as their retinas recover.......
I regularly get flashed by people who think I'm driving with full beams
on. If they're heading towards me, I usually flash 'em back... trouble
begins when they're behind you and leave their beams on for a few
minutes while they're behind, even with the autodim mirrors. It's
painful! I've taken to flashing my indicators at them because there's
no other way to stop them... the lights are adjusted correctly, and on
hills and such they do auto-adjust just fine, but on a non-perfect road
surface (ie, 99% of the roads in the UK... ) they are a little bit
behind.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts