Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone one on here turned there old xbox into a jukebox? I've been reading about some software that can do this but it needs a modchip first apparently...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Aha!!! just read this post as I'm currently trying to do the same thing! I've managed to suss out the soft-mod... got a copy of Mech assult and the game save hack.... but... cant find XBMC software anywhere???? the torrents dont seem to seed and the links all seem broken??? anyone know of a copy anywhere they could point me at??

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Geeessss.. its amazing what some poeple do to the old xbox!!!! a couple of easy mods are a heatsink on the nVidia GPU and stepping the fan to 12v instead of 7v for better cooling... and also swapping the ATA33 HDD cable for a ATA100 one for faster disk access... turns out that Bill wanted to save a $ a box and use ATA33 ones even thou the I/O system is cabable of ATA100!! Then if your feeling brave enough you can swap the HDD, Processor and even upgrade the memory to 128mb!!

Hope my xbox is quivering under its ever acumulating dust layer! its in BITS this weekend!![:p]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
GOOD GRIEF! thats all I can say! If you haven't modded your Xbox? DO IT!! XBMC is nothing short of amazing! just done mine and it now has pride of place back in my lounge! its that GOOD I'm thinking of buying another for my bedroom!!!!! I just cant believe I haven't done this sooner! sorry but the XBOX ROCKS!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yep, same ere! Hardly ever play games on it anymore, but it's on pretty much every day for XBMC, been using it for well over a year. Add in the remote control and the machine's a fab media centre.

Such a cool piece of software, and so well presented it's hard to believe it's homebrew, and it plays pretty much any codec smoothly over the network. Such a shame MS didn't look at XBMC when they did their half baked 360 media centre stuff. I tried the 360 stuff, but went straight back to XBMC!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geeba, how did you get the software to install on the xbox? Is your xbox chipped? At the minute I'm trying to do the softmod way but not having much luck.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Geeba, how did you get the software to install on the xbox? Is your xbox chipped? At the minute I'm trying to do the softmod way but not having much luck.
I did the softmod... worked a treat! use the Action Replay memory card and Mech assult game... it was a breeze...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yep, same ere! Hardly ever play games on it anymore, but it's on pretty much every day for XBMC, been using it for well over a year. Add in the remote control and the machine's a fab media centre.

Such a cool piece of software, and so well presented it's hard to believe it's homebrew, and it plays pretty much any codec smoothly over the network. Such a shame MS didn't look at XBMC when they did their half baked 360 media centre stuff. I tried the 360 stuff, but went straight back to XBMC!
Have you changed your HDD to? still thinking about it.. or just streaming from my PC... dunno? [:^)]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Used to have a 250Gb HDD in my old XBox. Ran Avalaunch as the main dash
and XBMC to playbackall the video and audio. Fantastic device, but it
had to go, along with the other consoles when the 360 arrived :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
As a media center the 360 cant touch XBMC.... it only streams MS for starters the XBMC streams..... well everything!... If you use the HD adapter you can stream 720 HD divx movies without to much trouble and most xbox game are 1080i to... put Ghost Recon on HD next to the same game on a 360 you'll be hard pushed to tell the difference...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hard pushed to tell the difference ? You've gotta be kidding me [:D]

Agree on the poor streaming support of the 360, but the games just can't compare on an HD screen.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hard pushed to tell the difference ? You've gotta be kidding me [:D]

Agree on the poor streaming support of the 360, but the games just can't compare on an HD screen.
Xbox does HD games at 1080i with HD adapter.... seen the two next to each other and your hard pushed to tell the difference! not saying that the xbox has the power of the 360 that would be plain stupid... but the same game running on each box both in HD you cant see alot of difference is what I'm saying.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
the display mod is a doddle.... bootdisk... change settings... HD.... done! after doing the softmod I can see no advantages of not modding the xbox? still plays all the games/movies and Live still works to

·
Registered
627 Posts
Have you changed your HDD to? still thinking about it.. or just streaming from my PC... dunno? [:^)]
Yep, it's got a 120gb HD in there, but tbh it's not really worth it cept for emulators etc. I stream everything from my PC in terms of video. The only real use I found for the HDD was to install games I'd bought to it instead of using the originals. Keeps the disc mint and loads aheluva lot faster.

But, I'd just stick with what you have, or maybe if you have a drive spare, stick that in there.

BTW, some more recent XBoxes actually did have larger HDs in them, around 20gig I believe, but they're partitioned down to only show 8.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts