Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a xbox 360, believe it or not this would be my first console[:O], I've always used my pc for gaming before, but I want to embrace the console era! [:p]
Am I going to notice an improvement over the games on my pc? I'm talking graphics & playability. I've always quite enjoyed pc games, but would like to try some sports and driving games with a console and controller, rather than bashing my keyboard and sitting alone in the spare room! [:(]

Rough PC spec for comparison:
Opteron 144 1.8GHz (overclcoked)
1 Gb RAM
Ge Force 6600GT

Obviouly the monitor thing is a no brainer, my 27'' wide LCD TV is better than my 17'' LCD monitor, I'm hoping to hook the xbox up for Dobly 5.1 & HD.

So, is it worth me spending ?300 or should I just stick to the PC?!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a pc and an Xbox 360 for gaming. I use both for gaming. The graphics for the 360 are amazing consdering the resolution that they are being displayed at on TV compared to what pc games run at, I am looking forward to see what the improvement playing on a Hi Def TV brings when it arrives at the end of the week.

From what I have seen the PS3 launch line up looks dissapointing and the launch price of ?425 seems high. From the videos I have watched of ps3 games from E3 they look on a par with the Xbox 360.

If you like online gaming then Xbox live is great for this.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If I was you, I'd wait for the Playstation 3, IMO its going to be much better than the X-BOX
Another Sony fanboy? What criteria do you base that assumption on? On
paper there's actually little to choose between them and so far all
we've seen of the PS3 is pre-rendered stuff. It's also going to cost
over ?400.

Xbox on the other hand has a good console with a fanastic online
service and a great array of games on the horizon. I like all consoles
but there's no way I'd fork out for a PS3.

To answer the original question I think you'll find driving games and
often sports games are great on consoles. FPS games are better on the
pc.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yep, I agree with Nik.

From a purely technical point of view, dealing with both the 360 and PS3 at work, the PS3 is a more powerful machine in terms of CPU power. Graphically, they're very similar.
However, the problem with the PS3 is that it's far more complicated to work with compared to the 360 and the develpment tools aren't as good, so at least for a few years we're not going to see anything on there that trumps the 360 to a great degree. The performance stats that Sony and MS bang on about are only useful for discussing at the pub or on forums where people use l33t sp33k.. it's only a game of top trumps. The Spectrum had more CPU power than the C64.. didn't harm the C64 ;)

Stats don't matter. Games matter, and for that reason the 360 is ahead by a mile. There's good games out for it now, and the 2nd-generation of software for it is due this year. By this I mean the software written by people who'd had a year to get to grips with the system. We won't see this for over a year with the PS3. Maybe then and after a price drop, the PS3 will be worth picking up. But if you want next-gen games now, this year, I'd say the 360's the only way to go!! Plus it's ?145 cheaper and has XBox live up and running beautifully.
However, if it's Sony's games that you like (and I'm a big Sony fan too, just put off by the PS3's price!!) then the PS3 will deliver once dev teams get to grips with it.

I don't own a 360, just got a PS2 and original XBox. May pick up a 360 later this year. I prefer consoles for gaming compared to my PC due to the range of games you can get for em. Plus a console plugged into a nice big TV with a good sound system is awesome fun [:D] But, first person shooters are better on PC!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right then, that solves it. Tomorrow lunch time I'm buying a xbox360 & FIFA World Cup 06! [:D]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Good on ya!
Test drive unlimited is slated for a late June release. You can download the demo now from Xbox live, my mate reacon's it's well good!

:D

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
As for the original question....

Use both. Simple, as some games are much much better on the PC, games such as Command & Conquer, they would be pretty dire to play on a console I would think.

However, footy games etc, much easier on a console.

Your PC is hardly the best gaming machine in the world though, so you might notice a difference in speed when it comes to a console.

·
Registered
108 Posts
ive got an xbox360 and the games like graw and bf2 are awsome but i only bought it for online play the graphics are superb on a plasma and if you buy 1 make sure u d/load the demo of motogp06 it truley is the best game out for the 360. and the 360 can stream movies from your pc if ure comp is runing mce and streams divx/xvid and hdtv content which is sweet

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for the original question....

Use both. Simple, as some games are much much better on the PC, games such as Command & Conquer, they would be pretty dire to play on a console I would think.

However, footy games etc, much easier on a console.

Your PC is hardly the best gaming machine in the world though, so you might notice a difference in speed when it comes to a console.
A straight answer - thankyou! [:p]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Personal choice... yeah use both if you can afford both... not seen anything on 360 that my PC cant do as yet.... I have a wide aray of consoles but always end up back at the PC... always had the urge to take things appart and mod them... which PC's are ideal for..

·
Registered
93 Posts
I only have my PC for gaming now after selling my PS2 just before christmas, normally most games I play on line are more suited to PC, but I bought Tomb Raider Legends for the PC along with the xbox 360 controller for windows and it works a treat, controls are exactly the same as playing it on the console.

I also use the controller if I go back and have a blast on 'San Andreas' or the odd driving game too. I don't miss my console at all, besides I always have the excuse to go around to my mates for a beer and a blast on his 360.

·
Registered
627 Posts
But you can't play (the proper) Geometry Wars on PC!

In my mind the best game on the 360 and it costs about ?3.50! Just picked up a 360 today. Got the very lovely Ghost Recon with it... but not actually loaded it yet. Been playing Geometry Wars! [:D]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I sold my 360 a few weeks ago and haven't really missed it. Its a shame, technically fantastic machine, but as has been the way with most games for the past few years, nothing really holds your (or my) interest very long anymore. PGR3 looks great, but pales in comparison to its predesecor to play. I had all the other 'big' games and got bored very quickly. The online service is first class however.

PS3 is coming in at a frankly ridiculous price, they've really gotta start pushing the machine for that money, and judging by their lacklustre press conference at E3 theyve got their work cut out. Im bored of GT rehashes (another game that failed to move on) and endless sequels.

I've preordered a Nintendo Wii and cannot wait. Something fun, a bit different, and more importantly, easy on the pocket!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I sold my 360 a few weeks ago and haven't really missed it. Its a shame, technically fantastic machine, but as has been the way with most games for the past few years, nothing really holds your (or my) interest very long anymore. PGR3 looks great, but pales in comparison to its predesecor to play. I had all the other 'big' games and got bored very quickly. The online service is first class however.

PS3 is coming in at a frankly ridiculous price, they've really gotta start pushing the machine for that money, and judging by their lacklustre press conference at E3 theyve got their work cut out. Im bored of GT rehashes (another game that failed to move on) and endless sequels.

I've preordered a Nintendo Wii and cannot wait. Something fun, a bit different, and more importantly, easy on the pocket!
Nintendo is back on top with the Wii, if any1 has seen the E3 show this year you gotta say it's impressive. As for Playstation laughable attempt at an interactive joypad lol its had me in stitches!!! Did you see the guy tryin to controll that flight game, thought he was having a panic attack.

As for P.C. vs console P.C. wins by miles solely for the online gaming community. Find the game or mod you like and play with top players from around the world in clans or just frag matches, with a game you modify to your taste. Haven't found anything that comes close to that yet!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts