Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was behind a Citroen Saxo, not sure whether it was a VTR or a VTS. Came up to a mini roundabout where we were both turning right. Saxo booted it up the hill, so did I. I was very shocked when I was not gaining on the Saxo. Only went about 100 yds up the road before I had to turn off. I know the saxo is about as heavy as a pram with an engine but even so, especially up a slight hill I thought my V6 would have gained on it quite quickly. Maybe if I had not have turn off I may have started to close the gap?

The V6 4mo is a really nice car, loads of grunt at low revs but at high revs there does not seem to be much there. My previous car, golf gti 16v (mk3) was opposite to the v6...no power low down but when screwed really did move.

Do any other v6 owners also have little high revs grunt, or could it just be my car?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi There i used to have a 4motion and did not have any trouble with saxos im sure if you had kept going you would of caught up with him no problem even tho they are nippy little cars.

Mine was slow reving up top untill i got it remapped which changed it to rev smoothly all the way to the red line.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wouldn't say my 4mo was too great to be honest but I put it down to a fault somewhere.
I have tons of pull just over 3k revs, but when it gets past 4k it seems to hit a flat spot. I'm not too much of a racer so dont tend to bother... however had had times when 1.6's seem uncatchable.

I certainly wouldn't recommend them as highly as some people on here as the affordable holy grail of unmodified Golfs.

I know it seems the cop-out of every performance issue ever to hit a VW, but I do think it'll be worth replacing my MAF as the date stamp on it is 11/99. Just really can't be bothered to get it replaced at the moment. The car gets me from A to B so that'll do for now.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Must have been a VTS, they do go well for a kit kat wrapper with a 1.6 16v, and go like stink off the mark as a result, but I bet if you had the road you would have reeled him in.

I'm not usually one to slag off others cars but it would be a sad day if one of the saxo brigade got one up on a V6 4Mo.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Well i got spanked by a nova the other day! Im putting out 235bhp with plenty of torgque and this nova ( with 3 chavs and a big roll cage inside) flew past me. We were both setting out from the lights and he was revving his engine and doing everything that gives young men with cars a bad name, so i thought id put my foot down and lose the knob but to my suprise he flew right past me! I know my cars down on power a bit but a nova, honestly!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
What a shocking situation to be in. Spanked by a Nova loaded with 3 chavs. It must of had a 'valver' conversion...

Thing with these hot hatches is they are quicker off the line as they weight naff all and have zippy 16v engines. Let these goons have their fun, at the end of the day they have a sound system banger not a Golf parked on their drive and dont do things in quite as much comfort or style. Thats the way I look at it when I let RoyBacer beat me off the lights. Let him think he has the better car, he can tell his mates down the park how cool he is when he starts picking up points and cant afford to insure anything better.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Must have been a VTS, they do go well for a kit kat wrapper with a 1.6 16v, and go like stink off the mark as a result, but I bet if you had the road you would have reeled him in.
Agreed. The figures below back this comment;

Chicken Paxo VTS

vs

V6 4 Motion

Remember, you never know what someone else has under the bonnet. He may have any number of things fitted that could have made it faster. Not all cars do exactly as they say on the tin.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You would have caught him after 80ish as they start losing puff after that as the v6 4mo has 0-100 time of under 20secs and the vts has one of around 22secs.

There power to wright ratio is very close between the 2.

The saxo is 130bhp per ton

and the

V6 4mo is 145bhp per ton

This should explain your diffuculty in catching.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well i got spanked by a nova the other day! Im putting out 235bhp with plenty of torgque and this nova ( with 3 chavs and a big roll cage inside) flew past me.? We were both setting out from the lights and he was revving his engine and doing everything that gives young men with cars a bad name, so i thought id put my foot down and lose the knob but to my suprise he flew right past me! I know my cars down on power a bit but a nova, honestly!
Probably a Redtop conversion which is a 2l 16v lump with about 170bhp. The weight of the nova would be about 900kg if it was stripped, that's why it flew past you. It could well have been C20LET(lump from a calibra turbo) powered which would make it even more ridiculous.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 1.6 16v engine out the paxos/106 gti is anunderstated little
engine, I have one in my track car (Citroen AX), once above 4.5k revs
it goes! Great fun :D

Supercharged common mod, nah most people by little french cans because
they're cheap! Supercharger is a very expensive mod, hardly any of them
about.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
i was blown off by a corsa the other week.

i got the jump on him from a round about but then he just flew passed me and as he went passted and chaged gear i realised why.

it had a blooomin 20ltr calibra turbo engine.[:O]

wont try it on with that car again[:$]

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes , some of these smaller engined hatches are quick off the mark , it's cos they are made of Tin and weigh nothing , not quality like the VW , but they are no quicker than a 4 Mo , maybe it is just that they are absolutely hammering their car and us Golf owners are a bit more mechanically sympathetic. I have owned a few 'sports cars' last one a Mitsi EVO ( 320 bhp) they even tried it on when i had that [:D] But there isn't much than can ultimately out pace the 4 Mo on a nice strait road , and after all the 4 Mo isn't a sports car . Next time just think of what the 4 Mo has to offer in refinement and technology over the cheaper hatches [;)] and when it comes to comfort and practicality there is no comparison. The Evo was nice + fun , but for everyday use and longer journeys the 4 Mo is best.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
As Kev said, they are going to be quicker off the mark but once you start hitting 70/80  they will seem to stand still while your view of the world will be like James T Kirk's. Not being turbocharged does not help low down against small light cars.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The V6 4mo is a really nice car, loads of grunt at low revs but at high revs there does not seem to be much there. My previous car, golf gti 16v (mk3) was opposite to the v6...no power low down but when screwed really did move.
I also came from a mk3 16v gti and the 4mo is a completely different beast. It's really tempting to change gear high in the revs because of the gorgeous sound, but it's not really the quickest way of getting around as you know, since the biggest slice of torque is around 3000rpm. I had my mk3 remapped to give more power lower down, and I'll probably do the opposite on the 4mo and see if I can get a little more power higher up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i was blown off by a corsa the other week.

i got the jump on him from a round about but then he just flew passed me and as he went passted and?chaged gear i realised why.

it had a blooomin 20ltr calibra turbo engine.[:O]

wont try it on with that car again[:$]
Jas, don't worry you won on the style stakes!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It makes me laugh when I see some comments here, are we superior because we drive a VW? I certainly don't think so, its not exactly exotica is it? Just another Golf? Thats how I see it.
Why the need to call Saxo's a Paxo, tin can's etc?
A Saxo VTS is an extremelly good car and fantastic at what it does.

Total respect for the guys running C20LET engines in Nova's / Corsa's too, it must be a superb feeling to destroy something as superior as a Golf, it must really make their day [:D]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Why the need to call Saxo's a Paxo, tin can's etc?
To be fair, they are, and even the owners agree. French cars have a
reputation, just as German cars do. It's just German cars are generally
regarded as better to some.

Have you ever pressed a saxo's panel? An ex used to have a VTR and I
washed it one day. The panels are insanely thin and they flex like you
wouldn't believe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts