Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120683346321&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1658wt_932

Just bought this car! bit of a risk as im not sure what the whining sound might be, any ideas what it could be??

Going to collect it on tuesday so hopefully will be able to drive it home and get it checked out by my garage!

other than that i think it looks ace!! love the colour and comes with ani valances which i wanted to put on it anyway! may sell the alloys to get some bbs 17's instead tho. What do you all think about the car and please any info about the whining/humming noise he says about would be much appreciated

Thanks

Aidan

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Looks good, whining noise could be the gearbox, My old golf had a whining noise and within a couple of days of it whining the gearbox shattered and put a hole through it, Cost alot to repair lol.

Can I have 1st refusal on the wheels lol Want a set of them for my bora [:$]

·
Registered
227 Posts
The body work looks immaculate apart from the front d/side wheel arch ofcourse.

Very tidy motor, hope its a bargain for you! Get a HPI check done just to make sure its not stolen etc.

If that sound is the gearbox then I'd stay well away from it. Could be the alternator if its a loud whirring sound? Hope its not too bad though mate.

·
Registered
259 Posts
nice buy [Y]

mileage is abit high but shouldnt have a problem if its been looked after and serviced regularly...

like the colour too [:)]

·
Registered
114 Posts
the whining noise could be any number of things, these are amazing engines and you will be able to tell straight away where the whining noise is coming from once you drive it, it could bea the power steering pump, leaky boost pipe or maybe the gearbox, but you've still bagged a bargain there mate. easy fixed

·
oooo audi
4,721 Posts
Looks good, whining noise could be the gearbox, My old golf had a whining noise and within a couple of days of it whining the gearbox shattered and put a hole through it, Cost alot to repair lol.

Can I have 1st refusal on the wheels lol Want a set of them for my bora
Posted Image
[Y]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
remember you can walk away if its not as described

looks a very nice motor tho
ha cheers, apart from its costing me and my dad £80 on the train up there plus ive payed a £100 deposit and 30days insurance on it ha... So i am more than hoping to drive back or get it towed home by our RAC. as its about 270 miles away.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just rang my garrage and worst case is needing a replacement gearbox they said would cost £450 fitted. not bad at all. chuffed :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

Can I have 1st refusal on the wheels lol Want a set of them for my bora
Lol Thanks mate, Want to sell them pm me [;)]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah got it home now had to be towed back tho took over6hours to get home! Think it could either be a really bad wheel bearing,worn lower arm or worst case the diff :/ other than that it's sweet as a nut paint work is superb been resprayed nicely apparently but I can't tell apart from the lack of chips. Interior is ace aswell must be a lot of OEM replacement stuff as it's like new.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts