Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really would like an r32 but they are a tad too expensive for me at the moment. (the other halfs only at work part time 2 days a week and its up to me to run/insure/tax my 1.8t and the other halfs lupo sport)

only had my 1.8t for 14month and whilst it is a very quiet and refined car (compared to my 206gti) i just dont seem to be gelling with it.

I think the thing that puts me off is the handling and vageness of the driving experience. It feels far more suited to motorway cruising than a quick b road car.

Ive had the revo remap trial which made the car feel alot quicker and made the driving experience much more enjoyable (but not enjoyable enough as my car is running standard shocks brakes etc[6])

Ive driven Rx8 and a clio cup and a work mate took me out in his focus ST 220 last week.It really makes me realise what driving a good handling car is all about.

Now i could spend ?400 on suspension mods ?200 on an anti roll bar ?400 on a remap, ?800 on wheels and possibly another ?400 on a k03s upgrade. These mods would no doubt make my car handle better and be quite a bit quicker than standard but i really dont think it would handle anywhere near as good as a clio cup, civic type r, impreza wrx or a focus st220.

So instead of spending ?1500-?2000 on my golf to make it somewhere near being a hot hatch do i buy myself an impreza?

they have a chav image but they are a cracking motor.

anybody swapped their 1.8t for the same reasons?

or are there any ex subaru owners on here who swapped their subaru for a golf ?.... if so why

ta

·
Registered
398 Posts
The only Scooby id poss go for if I were thinking about getting one over an R32 would have to be a P1....around a year 2000 X plate.....To be honest bar the 22B..(which are still silly money)....its the best Impreza ever.....[Y]...Dosen`t quite have the "chav" image like the rest of the models...which is a bonus...and is still pretty rare so should hold its value better.....also most of them have one or two careful owners so haven`t been thrashed like the rest.......

wouldn`t have WRX over the 1.8T.........would just keep saving for an R32.....

R32 or P1........Hmmmm........Tough one??????

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
A standard UK Impreza Turbo/WRX with a Scoobysport System and a good remap will see 290bhp which is easily enough to shake off an R32.

I had such a car and loved it. Chav image? I don't think so unless you go down the road of cheap tat add ons like Lexus Lights, Crap Body Kits, silly wheels, eye brows, quad lights, huge spoilers, square and or offset plates and shape of body smoothing - You get the idea, the usual boy racer chav add ons any car can get. There are as many "chav" MK4 Golfs as there are Impreza's in my opinion now anyway.

Pro's of a Subaru Impreza Turbo/WRX

1) Noise if fitted with a decent (not an oversized loud) exhaust system - ie Scoobysport.

2) Accelaration from rest - A standard car will beat any 2wd Golf including most of the tuned 1.8T's to 60mph from 0.

3) Fairly reliable as long as they are not overly tuned, thrashed stupid everyday or treated without any mechanical sympathy (ie no warm up/cool down period)

4) Not as good as at handling (as standard) than the likes of a Civic Type R, but uprated, the 4x4, extra power and better springs/shocks make the Subaru a real drivers car.

5) Good sized car, simple dash, cracking seats and stealers that generally know how to keep customers happy.

Bad points of a Subaru Impreza Turbo/WRX

1) Terrible on fuel - Expect 20mpg on average.

2) Insurance won't be cheap.

3) Servicing/upkeep will be more than it is for a Golf.

4) They are magnets for car thiefs, police, chavs in tarted up shopping trolleys looking for a race, vandals and motorbikes.

5) When they go wrong (and they do sometimes go wrong, especially the unofficially imported ones from Japan) they cost a huge amount to put right.

I have been there seen it done it and still got the wooly hat. I would have another, but it would have to be a reasonably new UK sourced car with sensible mods and fuelled by the company.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
id' be looking at either a late bugeye version or the 2003/2004 facelift version.

only thing putting me off is the fact that they are magnets for car theives.

i wouldnt want to put my family in danger for the sake of a car..... allthough im thinking of buying a dog sometime this year[:D]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If you can park it in a garage it is less of a problem as it is out of sight. I would stretch the facelift version as it is better looking and therefore more desirable when you come to sell it. Having said that the upside of the bug-eyed one being so ugly is that you can often find the bug-eyed WRX sell for less than a similar aged Classic Shaped Turbo. Therefore the later versions are cheaper too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a bug eye up till a year and a half ago, and although I really do like my anni, if my mileage dropped again i would be straight back to one with no hesitation.

Mine wasnt chaved up, as said before it had an upraded exhaust to get the deep flat four burble, and a dump valve, had a few other bits planned but then place of work changed, fuel bill went through the roof and so had to look for a diesel.

If you can afford the fuel and insurance (i was payin ?1200 per/yr at 22yrs old so not end of the world!) (though the ?450 a month fuel bill was the decider, about 21-28mpg) I would go for it without hesitation!

Leigh

·
Registered
248 Posts
mmuuzzyy, I know what you mean regarding handling.

I drive my wife's 1.8T Golf alot now and find the handling, by far the most unacceptable thing about it. Jumping into my RX8 only serves to exaggerates these thoughts. The RX8 is a bad comparison as its in a very different league but its handling is great compared to its peers.

The Impreza choice is a tricky one. Yes its a bit chav but so is a badly modded GTi. I've not driven one and they were easily in my budget at teh time of the RX8 purchase, but I just cannot live with its image or looks.

My 2p, AnilS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i had 2 wrx imprezas before my gti turbo and i prefer the golf, i think this is cos the golf is so much newer (2001) compared to my imprezas which were early wrxs. id say if you could get an impreza around a 2000 model yes. but dont go for an early import as there more trouble than there worth in my opinion

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
IMHO I'd go Evo over Scooby.
Well done that man.

I didn't think anybody was gonna say it.

Mate it's all up to you.

You have to look at the pro's and con's

I would say check the model, yr etc, check a forum like this one for comparison.

For problems, running costs etc

Then...........

Bite the bullet.

Good luck mate

Dan

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
IMHO I'd go Evo over Scooby.
Well done that man.

I didn't think anybody was gonna say it.

Mate it's all up to you.
An Evo is a different animal to the Subaru.

In terms of performance and handling, while an MR300 would have the edge on an STi PPP, the Evo would cost a lot more to own and is def not an every day car like the Subaru can be.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Depends on your mileage, test drive both, but remember the evo has 5000 mile service intervals which is a killer!!!

Go and ask some questions on SIDC as they are very helpful there, dont know what evo site to reccomend. (and ya dont get the flat 4 burble with the evo! Just personal preference!)

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
evo is out of my reach tbh. The ?2000 a year insurance bill and 5000 mile service make it a no goer.

Would love one but just too expensive to run, insure etc

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Do not forget the chances are that an engine re-build will possibly be required at some point on an Evo too, especially the grey-imported ones set for Jap fuel.

·
Registered
602 Posts
IMO you should look at an S3 or TT - good image, sweet interiors, nice
looks, impressive grip from the 4wd and 260bhp available with just a
remap. I'll be changing my mk4 gti for either an S3 or TT I just can't
decide which ....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not really in the same league. Completely different sort of car there. If your looking at one, the other wont really interest you, German/Jap are completely different beasts!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've just swapped my 2003 WRX for a 18.T

I'd have to advise strongly against the WRX unless your doing less than 5000miles pa. Consumtion is just plain stupid. I would struggle to get 200 miles from ?50 fuel!

Previous to that - I owned a Type R. That would be my bet. Great performance and handling. Only drawback is the fact their everywhere nowadays.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would defo have the impreza. I saw a review on an old Top Gear at the weekend. It was the Impreza vs EVO 8, all-be-it the Sti. But they're virtually the same. Clarkson said the grip was unbelievable in both, the EVO had the slight edge on the open road but they all preferred the Impreza.

I would go for at least a bug eye one or the one just after the bug eye if you can. That later one had some slight tweeks to the engine, only gave a few more bhp and foot pounds but better fuel economy too 31 mpg combined it says on the website!

I personally haven't driven either but the new 2.5 litre one only has a tiny bit more power and torque than the 2.0 litre and worse economy. Although the torque and power will be lower down in the rev range.

You can get them brand new from Motorpoint for ?14999! Great deal I reckon!

That's my first impressions of the Golf too ... I got the TDi 130 but it's much more set up for cruising and comfort than sharp handling. A 1.6 focus zetec would probably beat mine on the twisty stuff! I drive the focus' all the time as hire cars (sadly never had an ST though!!! :eek:( )

·
Banned
774 Posts
31mpg is only really possible at 60mph on the motorway in a blobeye WRX. The bugeye is poor for various reasons, both technically and cosmetically. There is a reason they are cheaper, largely because they are pretty poor all in all.

More realistic is 25mpg overall which isn't bad for a modified car with.260bhp+.

As an all weather car with high grip levels and enough go to compete with most things (including more or less all 1.8T derived cars- standard for standard) the Impreza is a good choice. 2005 model year 2.0 WRX are the best of the bunch, the 2.5 has modding potential but that of course invalidates your warranty.

The EVO is obviously better but service intervals of 4.5K for the AYC mostly make them unuseable IMHO. Nice weekend car though. Go take a look on the MLR for more info about these awesome cars.

http://www.lancerregister.com/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts