Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Petrol is the killer, if I just put in £20 of the good stuff I expect the fuel light to come on two days later,and that's just driving to/from uni with a trip to the shops in between.

On a motorway even blasting along at 80 I still seem to manage 31ish, maybe 32, but then mine's 400cc smaller than an R [:|]

Would I buy one still? Hell yes

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Answer to your question: YES, I would sell my anni for a MK4 R32 if it wasnt for the huge difference in running costs.

Bearing in mind the yearly tax is more than double what we pay now plus the extra fuel costs theres no way I could afford to run one.

Do I remember right youve got a works car?
Not anymore mate as im in a different job now. Only work 6 miles from home now, so only do about 400-500 miles a month.

Just cleaned my Anni and its sat there looking lovely. Might just keep it, get a wheel refurb, sort out a few interior bits, get a remap and sach uprated clutch.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Answer to your question: YES, I would sell my anni for a MK4 R32 if it wasnt for the huge difference in running costs.

Bearing in mind the yearly tax is more than double what we pay now plus the extra fuel costs theres no way I could afford to run one.

Not anymore mate as im in a different job now. Only work 6 miles from home now, so only do about 400-500 miles a month.

Just cleaned my Anni and its sat there looking lovely. Might just keep it, get a wheel refurb, sort out a few interior bits, get a remap and sach uprated clutch.
6.2 miles is my commute bud, but have to admit...makes you think twice about going out to the cinema or something. Ow wait...no it doesn't, the sound is SO worth it LOL

Have a go in one bud, you will never know otherwise!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

I currently live 3.8 miles from work but I'd still think twice before changing as much as I'd love an R.

I do travel 150 miles back to South Wales every now and then though.

Will be very difficult for me to change to anything other than VAG diesel ever again

·
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Theres so many pros and cons to weigh up. Im jealous of everyone on here whos got an R32 and i love the DPB blue ones, but then if i had one i would be complaining about fuel costs and mpg.

·
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·

6.2 miles is my commute bud, but have to admit...makes you think twice about going out to the cinema or something. Ow wait...no it doesn't, the sound is SO worth it LOL

Have a go in one bud, you will never know otherwise!
I was at my local dealers a while back and sat in one and started it up and it sounded awsome. The body work on it though was rough as and it was a 5 door. Will have to go on the look about see if any of the local car garages have one.

·
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
31mpg.... in your dreams!
I struggle to get 25mpg from my Ed30

Good choice on the Mk4 R32, my mate just bought a mint black one with about 30k on it, great car!
How much did your mate buy the black R32 for David?
He bought it off his mum so didn't pay full whack, around £5K
Probably worth £8K+
Lucky sod.

·
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Whens inters? Knowing my luck i will probably be working.

·
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Is inters 2011 on 25th/26th June? if its that weekend then im on my mates stag do in Reading.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Tom,If your going to Reading along the M4,I'm near J16 if you fancy a look/spin in mine.Its standard bar a LPG conversion.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
I'd been looking at mk4 R32's lately [:$]

Decided against it though;

Would cost me ££ way too much to 'upgrade' my mk4 to a mk4
Insurance doubles for me
None of the 7 colours they made do anything for me, so I'd have bought a black one
My splits won't fit
People will take the piss cos I'd air it [lol-lol]

Running cost wouldn't bother me so much though, I only work 4 miles away and had a mk3 VR for a few years

·
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Tom,If your going to Reading along the M4,I'm near J16 if you fancy a look/spin in mine.Its standard bar a LPG conversion.
Cheers for the offer mate but we are on the train up and back so wont be able to call in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
To answer your question road tax on my anni is €582 a year and a pre 08 R32 or anything over 3L would be €1566.

So, no. [:O]

You should get an S3 though, Mk1 or 2 depends on your budget but they are plenty tunable and can actually put the power to ground especially in crap weather

I wouldn't be a fan of the Mk5 dash either, was a backwards step by VW.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Yeh thats the only thing im worried about Dan is the fuel costs, everything else works out ok. I only fill up my Anni once a month and will put £60-70 in and will get 500 miles off that. If i had a choice i would go for the blue R32 but if i saw a mint silver one with low mileage i would go for that.

Unless i keep what i got and just get up to R-Tech for a cheeky remap and sach uprated clutch like i have been on about doing for the past two years.
You will get about 250 miles to £60-70 quid at the current fuel prices (£1.42-45 super unleaded).

So you will be looking at £120-150 for 500miles

But it's worth it everytime you just get in the car, it's just so nice!

·
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
So fuel costs would be double what im paying now and maybe more.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
So fuel costs would be double what im paying now and maybe more.
Yes more than double for sure.

18-25mpg is going to be the norm depending on how you drive.

Driving slowly in these cars just isn't the done thing. The car feels tiresome to drive slowly, the ride, the throttle, the engine all make sense when you drive it fast.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts