Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been wondering if a turbo could be fitted to my 1.6 8v??

would the breaks and gearbox need upgrading? could the chassis handle it? how much would this set me back?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well first you would have to find a turbo to fit your engine, i don't think its just a case of bolting any old one on. Then you wuold have to have a manifold built to suit your engine. The all the internals would have to be upgraded to handle the extra power.

Than of course everything else would have to be upgraded. Brakes, suspension etc etc.

Insurance would be out of this world.

If you are able to do the work yourself then you maybe able to find the bits needed for a good price. Otherwise i'd say you were looking at £5-8k for a proper conversion.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Isn't this the second or third post relating to you fitting a turbo to your car? If so your not really listening to other people's advice. Your best bet would be to give one of the big players a ring see what they think. Maybe try JBS or Awesome they should be able to point you in the right direction

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you want more power why dont you just sell up and buy a faster or more tunable car? Insurance cant be too much of an issue if you were considering sticking on a turbo on your current car, as this would more than likely cost you far more than a standard quicker car.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah it is an issue!   thats y i will prob keep my 1.6 a while longer! prob another year and half! maybe until i could summat really decent! not saying the mk4 isnt! but the 1.6 isnt

·
Registered
346 Posts
Fair enough, i know what you mean though as all my previous cars had tiny engines and i used to crave more power. Then i realised a sohc n/a 1.6 would never be tuned to go quick without major money so in the end i packed up and moved on.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im craving more power so much! this is all i could get insured on atm! i only owned it since april so bit soon to move on! i like it thou with the exception of a really clunky 1st,2nd and 3rd gear! and the sluggish acceleration

·
Registered
346 Posts
Is it your first car? you aint done bad if it is getting a 1.6. I started with a citroen AX 1.1 lol talkabout slow lol.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Aye, when I first started driving I was mainly concerned about gaining more real world experience, not a more powerful car - but maybe I was old before my time [:D]

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Insurance really has changed over the last 10 years. My first car believe it or not was the Golf mk1 Gti. At 18yrs old i only had to pay £500 third party. Over the years my insurance has never gone below that due to modding and more power ul cars bought. But at least i've never had to pay the criminal amounts insurance companies are asking for these days.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i went from a 1,1 fiesta to a newer 1,0L fiesta then to a 1.6 mkiv golf and thought it was amazing the novelty soon run off after less than a year. i then upgraded to a 2.0L mkiv cabrio and thought it was great for a few months. i then swapped the cabrio for a 2.8 v6 4motion (current car) but still want more power couple of years i will be looking to swap for the r32. no matter what car i get i will always want more power.

5 cars in 2 years not good[:O]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Insurance really has changed over the last 10 years. My first car believe it or not was the Golf mk1 Gti. At 18yrs old i only had to pay £500 third party. Over the years my insurance has never gone below that due to modding and more power ul cars bought. But at least i've never had to pay the criminal amounts insurance companies are asking for these days.
[:O] my first insurance was £1100 third party for a D reg fiesta[:mad:]

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im reply to a post up there about 1st car! its my 2nd car! had a renault clio 1.2 for a year and half! golf is my 2nd but i want loadz of power! im thinking maybe wait till 21 then get a pd tdi mk4!

·
Registered
471 Posts
im reply to a post up there about 1st car! its my 2nd car! had a renault clio 1.2 for a year and half! golf is my 2nd but i want loadz of power! im thinking maybe wait till 21 then get a pd tdi mk4!
how much is your insurance at the moment? im paying just under £1500 for 2.8 v6 4motion and im only 20 and have 0 ncb

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WHAT! say that again! ok in october i will hav 1 year ncb and will be 20yrs and 1month old! im looking at around £800 renewal quote! who are your insurance with? cos if your 20 and can get a v6 4mo i could get a pd 150!!!!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
How about taking some advanced driving lessons so you can be better prepared to handle loads more power. Some insurers will look upon additional training quite favourably as well, and while you're saving up for that more powerful car, with your new skills you'll be able to out-drive some people in more powerful cars, with your 1.6 - I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
471 Posts
How about taking some advanced driving lessons so you can be better prepared to handle loads more power. Some insurers will look upon additional training quite favourably as well, and while you're saving up for that more powerful car, with your new skills you'll be able to out-drive some people in more powerful cars, with your 1.6 - I'm not kidding.
you been playing the playstation to much shiuming[:p]

·
Registered
471 Posts
WHAT! say that again! ok in october i will hav 1 year ncb and will be 20yrs and 1month old! im looking at around £800 renewal quote! who are your insurance with? cos if your 20 and can get a v6 4mo i could get a pd 150!!!!!
im with elephant.co.uk - it seems to be cheaper if you put your mum down as named driver

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
How about taking some advanced driving lessons so you can be better prepared to handle loads more power. Some insurers will look upon additional training quite favourably as well, and while you're saving up for that more powerful car, with your new skills you'll be able to out-drive some people in more powerful cars, with your 1.6 - I'm not kidding.
you been playing the playstation to much shiuming[:p]
Sssh [;)]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts