Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Well I have had both a AGU and an AUM, although I only chipped the AUM.  If you can get an AUM for the moeny you have then fine, but it will not be a total disaster if you dont.  If you are adamant that you want to break to 200bhp limit easily then go with the AUM with a 4bar fuel regulator.  It is possible to brake 200 bhp with a AGU but not a easy.  There are a lot of 1.8T's for sale at the moment so pick carefully.  I let my 2000 AUM go for just under ?7K and that was modified to around the 220-230bhpo mark, so just keep hunting.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've got no probs hearing the turbo on mine...
Really ? I heard the k03 turbo couldn't be heard. I know for sure the ko3s is much louder though!
I'll have to take your word on that. - but (without trying to sound too Fast and Furious) i guess it depends how much boost you're running.
Im just on about in stock form mate. I have just heard a lot of people on here say tthey can't hear the turbos that well on a KO3, maybe that just weren't booting it enough. lol

And i agree with milkfloat, it wont be the end of the world if you get an AGU, its still a 1.8T and can be made plenty quick

·
Registered
218 Posts
im running a k03 and whilst not "boy racer loud" it can certainly be heard in stock mode. Once I play about with my boost settings (REVO SPS3) you can certainly hear it.

I know some of the ko3s have silencers and some dont? perhaps the ko3 is the same? I dont know, either way ko3 turbo can defo be heard. Although I have a neuspeed induction filter and have heard that this makes the turbo more noticable?

·
Registered
832 Posts
im running a k03 and whilst not "boy racer loud" it can certainly be heard in stock mode. Once I play about with my boost settings (REVO SPS3) you can certainly hear it.

I know some of the ko3s have silencers and some dont? perhaps the ko3 is the same? I dont know, either way ko3 turbo can defo be heard. Although I have a neuspeed induction filter and have heard that this makes the turbo more noticable?
Yeah i would agree with the filter making it more noticable as the filter would be less restictive, resulting in less of a silence on the turbo.

I added a CAI on my golf, sounds like darth vader when i boot it now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Does the variable valve timing improve consumption at all or is it purely for emissions?

Obviously i want the best car i can for the money but like i said, i'll be keeping it for a few years and would like to do some light tuning and maybe add cruise so the AUM is probably my best bet if i can find one. I certainly wont be tuning to 650bhp!

What sort of mileage am i looking at for a 2000> car for around my budget? Less than 70k would be preferable if possible

Cheers for all the replies

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've had both AUM and ARZ engines - I started with an
AUM and although I never chipped it I did have the REVO trial. That car
was stolen and I replaced it with an ARZ because (as advised by many
here) I wanted the best car I could get for my budget and I was
determined to get leather. I've got Upsolute on my current car (ARZ)
and it is plenty quick for me. In fact I'd say it feels quite a bit
quicker under 3500/4000 rpms than the AUM did when I had the REVO
trial. But the AUM (with REVO) definitely had more top-end (although
not that much ). Dunno exact bhp figures but I'd guesstimate mine is
around 185bhp-192bhp which feels plenty quick in a fwd.

I'd advise (as others have already done) that you try to get the best
car you can for the money - don't be put off by engine codes - look at
everything.
My ARZ came fully loaded - leather heated recaro's, xenon's, cruise
control, trip, etc., so you shouldn't have to hold out for an AUM
to get the extras.

If you did get an AGU or ARZ and are going to tune over time you can
always look at uprating the turbo to a ko3s (not too expensive) with
custom code remap and downpipe/decat/sports exhaust. Probably a bit
more expensive to get to 220bhp than an AUM but if you got a better
condition AGU/ARZ to start with wouldn't this be worth it?

That said, if you can get a good AUM with the extras you want and in your budget then go for it....

·
Registered
218 Posts
So what is the ARZ engine? is this the drive-by-wire engine without the VVT? What year is your car?
yes thats exactly what it is!....also has a ko3 turbo rather than the later ko3s but this is a simple upgrade. Change for a k03s, get a 4 bar fpr and a remap and you will be a happy chap!

I am still to fit a ko3s and 4bar fpr, but have heard from a few members who have gone that route that its a sure quick way to put a smile on your face!! Its my next mod, unfortunatly I had a little incident of my girfriend bumping my car door, so all my pennies went on that! its now fixed, but not content with wrecking my door, ive now went and kerbed my spotless alloys, so will be a month or so before I get a ko3s but its a defo mod for an arz engine! hope this helps....

happy golf hunting!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't believe the VVT has any effect upon output power. It's not like Honda's VTEC, which is variable lift as well.

1.8T VVT seems to be purely for emissions control. Look at the table of features for the various 1.8T engines - all the EU4 emissions compliant ones are VVT, whereas the non-VVT ones are only EU3...

Last week I was working at Nissan, and talking to one of their engineers about VVT on the Nissan engines (sad, innit? [;)]). He said that the purpose of their VVT is to hold the inlet and exhaust valves open simultaneously, under certain conditions, to recycle exhaust fumes and hence lower the emissions.

I suspect the 1.8T is the same, because the VVT engines have no greater power/torque rating than the non-VVT ones.

Here's the table of 1.8T engine codes that appeared on the Briskoda forums (and probably elsewhere!) - check the correlation between VVT and EU4, it's almost 100%

AGU

Audi A3 1.8T, (all models?)
Skoda Octavia 1.8T FWD (Elegance, L&K), 10/96-8/00
Volkswagen Golf GTI, (dates?)

Output: 150 hp
Drive: FWD
Emission: Non-VVT, EU3
Throttle: cable
Injectors: small
Turbo: K03
Gearbox: EVS, EGY

APX

Audi TT, (dates?)

Output: 225 hp
Drive: Haldex 4WD
Emission: Non-VVT, EU3 (check)
Throttle: drive-by-wire
Injectors: big
Turbo: K04
Gearbox: ? (6-speed)

APY

Audi S3, (dates?)

Output: 210 hp
Emission: Non-VVT, EU3 (check)

AUM

Skoda Octavia 1.8T FWD (Elegance, L&K), 8/00-now
Volkswagen Bora 1.8T, (dates?)

Emission: VVT, EU4
Turbo: K03sport
Gearbox: EBN, ENJ, ESV, FDC

AUQ

Skoda Octavia RS, 8/00-now
Seat Leon 20VT Topsport

Output: 180 hp
Emission: VVT, EU4
Gearbox: EHA (Octavia RS, 5-speed, long gearing), ? (Leon Topsport, 6-speed)

ARX

Skoda Octavia 1.8T 4x4 Elegance, 8/00-now

Emission: VVT, EU3
Gearbox: FEX (5-speed, short gearing)

ARY

Audi A3 1.8T quattro Sport
Seat Leon 20VT Cupra 4

Output: 180 hp
Emission: non-VVT, EU3
Gearbox: FHA, FEK (6-speed)

ARZ

Emission: non-VVT, EU3 (check)
Throttle: drive-by-wire (check)
Injectors: big (check)
Turbo: K03sport (check)
Gearbox: ? (5-speed)

AWT

Audi A4 1.8T (Quattro), (dates?)
Volkswagen Passat 1.8T, (dates?)

Drive: FWD or Torsen 4WD
Emission: VVT, EU4 (check)
Injectors: small (check)
Turbo: K03 (check)

AWU

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T

Injectors: small (check)
Turbo: K03 (check)

BAM

Audi S3, (dates?)
Audi TT, (dates?)

Output: 225 hp
Emission: VVT (check), EU3

BFB

Audi A4 1.8T (Quattro), ?03

Output: 163 hp
Drive: FWD or Torsen 4WD
Injectors: big (check)
Gearbox: ETT GDU (5-speed)

·
Registered
602 Posts
So what is the ARZ engine? is this the
drive-by-wire engine without the VVT? What year is your car?
My car was first registered in July 2000. It's DBW, non-VVT with Ko3
turbo. FWIW, I've heard that the AGU's actually have better throttle
response (as standard) because of the physical/mechanical throttle
cable. I'd say the only advantage of the ARZ over the AGU is that if
you add a ko3s turbo to an ARZ you can probably still get REVO 4 bar
because it's DBW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Appreciate all the replies, looks like the search is on now! I've got a few months to find a good one as my current car is on finance and i will be handing it back after 2 years to save myself the hassle of buying it out then trying to sell it private. It's a Clio Dynamique so there is so much competition when coming to sell one that it's untrue!

Think i'm going to look for the spec i want, climate control, less than 70k etc etc and if it happens to be an AUM then that's just a bonus!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.