Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Golf 1.8T 150bhp in the next few months and I plan to keep the car for a good few years. I've been reading this forum quite a lot and it seems that AGU engines don't seem to be as popular as the AUM engine on later models.

Would i be disappointed with the AGU compared to the AUM as i plan to tune it up a bit,eg chip, filter, exhaust, FMIC but i'm sure i've read they don't respond as well to the engine mods.

I've got a budget of about ?6k-7k at an absolute maximum and i'm looking for a 3 door with leather interior.

BTW, has this forum been changed as a lot of the information i found a few months back is no longer available?

Cheers

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You will not be dissapointed with an AGU engine - a remap, downpipe with sports cat/decat and a fmic will work wonders.
The main reason why the later engines get more power from a remap is due to the K03sport turbo, this can always be retrofitted to an AGU engined car then custom remapped to suit.
A used K03s turbo will cost in the region of ?250-?300.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you are planning to remap/chip the car then the AUM engine code is a must. I think you'll find it hard to find a leather interior for around 6k unless you just want the sport interior and not the Recaros. So really you need to decide which you want more the power or the leather.

Personally i'd get the AUM engine with a set of cloth Recaros, they are so much more comfortable. Plus you can always get the leather interior at a later date. Once you've bought the AGU engine you won't see more than 190bhp. The AUM can be modded to 240ish with no trouble

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The AUM can be modded to 240ish with no trouble
Nothing is too much trouble, its just a matter of how much money you can throw at it though 240bhp is the most you will get out of a K03sport equiped 1.8T with every single bolt-on mod and a decent custom remap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the AUM's came in in 2000 right, were the AGUs still knocking about then too?

If i'm viewing a car and they dont know the engine code off by heart, where can i find it? I'm guessing maybe a plaque somewhere in the engine bay?

The power is definitely more of a priority than the leather, and if the normal cloth Recaros are exactly the same as the leathers underneath i could always go for a retrim.

One more thing that does sway me towards the AUM is that i could add cruise control if the car hasn't already got it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check the data sticker - will have the engine code on it. It's usually
in the boot floor under the carpet, also in the front inside cover of
the service book.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Agu engine is the one that most tuning companies use for tuning as it is the strongest and simplest 1.8T engine. I have an Agu and my mate has an Aum which are both chipped and there is no difference between them. As has been said you can get up t 240bhp from the Aum but you can get that and more on the Agu it all depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The Agu engine is the one that most tuning companies use for tuning as it is the strongest and simplest 1.8T engine. I have an Agu and my mate has an Aum which are both chipped and there is no difference between them. As has been said you can get up t 240bhp from the Aum but you can get that and more on the Agu it all depends on how much you want to spend.
There should be a difference!

·
Registered
942 Posts
According to Jabba Sport, the AGU is capable of more. Full on mods it
is capable of 650bhp, whereas after 2000 1.8T is capable of 550bhp.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on particular engine codes, personally...

At that budget, you should be looking more for a car which is in good condition. Far more important than the ability to get another few bhp. If you have to spend hundreds changing (e.g.) suspension bushes, you'll have a lot less cash available for engine mods!

Go for a car that feels right, regardless of what the engine plate says.

(said by an ex-AGU owner, now ARY... [;)])

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
There was an early DBW ARZ that (from memory) is DBW but only with a K03 Turbo. Can't remember if it has VVT as well.

The Revo stage 2 and 3 (stage 3 is software for larger turbos) are only available on the DBW versions as the AGU ECU is too limited.

·
Registered
832 Posts
According to Jabba Sport, the AGU is capable of more. Full on mods it is capable of 650bhp, whereas after 2000 1.8T is capable of 550bhp.
Imagine that BHP in a FWD car ! LOL.

Also to answer the question i would get AUM.

If i just bought a new car which was AGU the last thing i would wanna do is start pulling the car apart to fit a different turbo and fork out another 300 on a turbo, and plus maybe a shed load more money on getting it fitted!

Plus AUM has VVT.

Put it this way spend the same amount of money on a remap on both engine the AUM will have 20ish more bhp.

Oh yeah it will tell you your engine code under the carpet in the boot, its a huge white skicker near the spare wheel cant miss it, also when your driving it if its an AGU you wont hear any turbo noise, if its AUM you will [H]

·
Registered
218 Posts
There was an early DBW ARZ that (from memory) is DBW but only with a K03 Turbo. Can't remember if it has VVT as well.

The Revo stage 2 and 3 (stage 3 is software for larger turbos) are only available on the DBW versions as the AGU ECU is too limited.
Yup that what i have (ARZ). I dont regret my purchase. although the car comes with only a k03 turbo, for a few hundred quid, a ko3s can be added. Although it isnt vvt,this makes no difference to performace..it only affects emissions. If you get offered an ARZ at a good price, then dont be put off!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
According to Jabba Sport, the AGU is capable of more. Full on mods it
is capable of 650bhp, whereas after 2000 1.8T is capable of 550bhp.
That is only because the AGU has a bigger ports on the head, which
lends itself to better flow. Have never seen a 1.8T with more
than 540bhp though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would get the best car you can regardless of what code it is. I have got a 2000. AGU, and it has got a APR chip. It is plent quick enough for me.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've got no probs hearing the turbo on mine...
Really ? I heard the k03 turbo couldn't be heard. I know for sure the ko3s is much louder though!
I'll have to take your word on that. - but (without trying to sound too Fast and Furious) i guess it depends how much boost you're running.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Once you've bought the AGU engine you won't see more than 190bhp.
i've got an an AGU engine, and i've only added a revo chip and milltek exhaust. got 210bhp on the rollers with it !! and i can hear the turbo nicely as well. [H]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts