Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live out in the sticks, and somehow I have a 1 meg b/band connection. All very nice and cosy, but there is a problem. In bad weather, windy or stormy, the connection keeps breaking and then sometimes takes ages to reconnect, even though the power and dsl lights on my modem are on. In good weather this never happens.

I'm using a BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL modem, so it's still like old fashioned dial up. Am I right in thinking that a wireless b/band modem/router would be the answer to my problem by 'always being on'? By the way, the line interuptions never interfere with voice calls, and I didn't have the problem with dial up. I also think that I'm at the very limit of the b/band coverage.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
728 Posts
Simple answer is no.

A router (be it wireless or not) is simply a modem that does not need a computer to connect to the internet. It still connects to the line in exactly the same way. If you are far away then the bandwith signal will be weak and if it is weak enough to drop the line on a DSL modem than a router will do the same.

You have 2 clear options

1. Keep calling BT and complaining and hope they will spend the money to upgrade your nearest exchange or

2. Ask your ISP to drop you to a 512 connection and explain why.

2 is the best.

Any more probs then PM me.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Router and modem are two separate things really, though you can get devices that integrate the two, and quite often an Ethernet switch and nowadays almost always a wireless access point and firewall as well. Couple of years ago all would only be available as separate boxes. The modem bit is what actually connects you to the internet line and the router bit shares it.

I'm on Blueyonder and have a separate router (wireless) connected to my modem. Some ISPs provide a combined modem/router.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. My way of thinking was that if the wireless jobbie is plugged into the phoneline wall socket and is 'always on' thus not needing to dial up then perhaps I would avoid all the hassle. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to get reconnected, not because the signal is weak, but because the modem takes time confiming passwords etc. Wouldn't the 'always on' set up just reconnect asap?

By the way, 1 meg is lowest I can have!

Tony

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Some modems (those you can configure) allow you to choose between dial on demand and nailed-up connection, maybe that's what you are looking for?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
A router should actually be better at holding onto a connection than
the adsl modem but if you're dropping that regularly it's still going
to be an issue for you.

·
Registered
728 Posts
All exchanges are backwards compatible so there is no reason that you can't go to a 512 connection.  As it uses a lot less (half) the bandwidth it will undoubtedly be more reliable then 1mb.  Also yes as it is always on it may stop a Little of your prob but as i think someone else has said if it is so weak that the modem is dropping the line then so will the router.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I had a similar problem live in the sticks miles away from my exchange was given a BT Voyager modem free with my connection (which is 2mb btw) installed it and the connection would drop every 5 minutes, now I don't know for sure but I reckon that some of these modems are setup do drop the connection to save the ISPs bandwidth. Anyway I got sick of the crap USB modem so I bought a Linksys WAG354G wireless router off ebuyer for about ?50 and my connection never drops and is vfast. So my 2p is dont downgrade your connection get rid of the USB modem and get a modem/router.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Don't take those checkers as gospel though...... mine tells me im only
1km from my exchange, and that i can only 'possibly' get 1mb..... shame
i've been on 2mb for months now without problems. (well, excluding my
exchange CONSTANTLY being overloaded.... get your finger out BT!!)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't take those checkers as gospel though...... mine tells me im only
1km from my exchange, and that i can only 'possibly' get 1mb..... shame
i've been on 2mb for months now without problems. (well, excluding my
exchange CONSTANTLY being overloaded.... get your finger out BT!!)
Yeah its not also the distance , its the quality of your phone line
too, I can get 2mb both dsl and sdsl but still stuck on 512kb, come on
BT upgrade me to 2mb already. (With Nildram though)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Now, before you slate me and tell me I know nowt, I happen to work for (a major telecoms company, you'll have heard of them), and one of the projects I'm working on right now is a corporate ADSL rollout. VPN, intranet access, etc.

ADSL routers are generally more stable and reliable than the USB modems.

This is down to a huge number of things, though mostly the fact that almost all USB ADSL modems are built to a price. A low price.

If you are having problems like this then it's certainly worth trying one. Try picking one up fom somewhere that gives you a hassle-free return option, eg, Argos, PC World.

If a router's connection drops, straight away it will try to re-establish the connection (if setup that way), rather than the USB modem's method of behaving like a dialup modem, and waiting for you to reconnect it.

Also, try connecting to the Master socket in your house, even if it means moving the PC temporarily, and don't use any other devices or extension leads on the line. Often, problems are caused by poor quality extension wiring or other devices.

My personal opinion is that there is some damage to your cables. I can't remember if you said you had voice quality problems, but if this is affected by weather, then there's a problem that needs a physical repair. Most telecoms companies HATE sending an engineer, as it costs money. Insist that they visit.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The weather issues do make it sound like a line fault somewhere.  Either a dodgy connection that water is getting into or a line blowing in the wind.  My parent's line was fine for voice for years but as soon as we started using it for data there were all kinds of problems until BT changed the line between the house and the pole.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I removed the faceplate from the bt socket and plugged a wireless router/modem into the test socket behind.... fine. Replaced the faceplate, plugges into the normal socket....not good. Ripped out the extension, all aok, and using wireless 'cos no extension!!

T

1 - 17 of 17 Posts