Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
may seem a daft question but my work is only 10mins away from my home around 3-5 miles this journey includes some stop starting due to traffic lights and speed bumps

my diesel never gets to temp the time i get to work :( basically i was just wondering would a 1.8t be any better on short journeys ?

cheers

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
No. Walk it or cycle it. Cycling three miles will take ten minutes or so. Even a 1.8T won't get fully up to running temp in that. Remember, the oil takes longer than the coolant to reach optimum temperature.

Tony

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Would cycle it but I do 12 hour shifts day and night and im stood up all day :( then I come home to a 7week old dont think I could do it haha maybe 1day

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote user="Stuart_tate41"]

Just get a 1.8t and sod the MPG.

[/quote]

Thats the stage im getting to tbh the diesel isnt fun to drive any more , and it cost so much more £££££ to get any good power out of a diesel ie the clutches to handle the torque and the turbos and injectors just seem to be a hell of a lot more than they are for petrol

Im only 22 but trying to see about saving for a leon cupra r or just the 180 cupra

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Atm in my diesel im getting 100miles to £25 so about 26mpg which I think it shocking for a diesel

·
Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
[quote user="B47t0n"]

Atm in my diesel im getting 100miles to £25 so about 26mpg which I think it shocking for a diesel

[/quote]

That is bad for a diesel, especially a mapped one, might be worth looking into that? Unless the short journeys are the cause for the bad mpg.

Wish i had a 6mile round trip :-('

·
Registered
842 Posts
They aren't built to do small journeys... Way more expensive as the diesel costs more than petrol.

Unless you do over 20k a year, mostly on a motorway, then there really isn't any point having one.

You'd be amazed how many people have diesels and only ever drive it to the shops and back... Ridiculous

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote user="TWONKGTI150"]

[quote user="B47t0n"]

[/quote]

That is bad for a diesel, especially a mapped one, might be worth looking into that? Unless the short journeys are the cause for the bad mpg.
Wish i had a 6mile round trip :-(

[/quote]

I honestly think its down to the short journeys i very rarely do motorway driving also im never in the car any longer than 20mins :(

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
FFS! If I did a three mile commute (thirty poxy miles a week!!!) I just wouldn't be concerned about mpg. I do nearly 500 miles per week, ok I liftshare, and have to be sensible. All the diesels I've had didn't even start to give reasonable mpg until around 8 miles, so 3 miles is, to be honest, taking the p**s.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its not the mpg im too fussed about to be fair as I budget for my fuel each week im just thinking along the terms of the car as only had the car a year and the turbo already has had the sticky veins syndrome 3x and just started again I was just after info on if petrol would be better all round for what I use the car for

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
It might be, but then you'd be buying another used car with unknown problems AND using it in the worst possible way. Sticky vanes might be annoying, but all cars have things that go wrong eventually, whether petrol, diesel, LPG or electric. It's always a risk and we can't tell you for sure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Work is about 3 miles away for me. Some town, and the other dual carriageway. Mine never makes it up to temp in the winter, only in the summer.

Tank of fuel will last me a month with a few other trips running around locally. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.