Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You may see a little more throat, i would say it would roar at you though. Best bet would be either to get a new CAI or exhaust.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
You're more likely to get a harsh, metallic engine noise with one of those (I once drove 30 miles with my original airbox not correctly seated and I kept wondering why my engine/exhaust had this hard-edged tone, especially when I took it to 4,000 RPM [:S]), if you want a deep roar and burble you need something with a long, large bore resonant pipe.

Zeke, you mean this thread?

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/326277/ShowPost.aspx

I'll try to make a better video or just a plain, but clear audio recording of it in action going up the gears. The nice thing is that it's completely stealth until you floor it, unlike a lot of sports exhausts which have a constant rumble even at idle. Drive it gently and nobody will know, until you want them to know [;)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I think Cat1.4 has something very similar on hers, don't know what it sounds like though. For ?65 you can't go far wrong. Jetex makes good stuff, filters and exhausts as well [Y]

Looking at that one you just listed, there is always scope for extending the pipe with some flexible ducting from B&Q or Halfords.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do jetex use oil based filter as i dont want to risk damaging the maf? is it only k&n that use oil based filters.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
To be honest you probably get more oil coming up the crank case breather hose than from the air filter. I know when I removed my original paper filter or even the K&N replacement from my original airbox, there was always a black/brown patch on the filter near the breather hole. I've not yet seen any hard evidence that the oil from the filter itself causes problems on air mass sensors (unless, perhaps you're a bit over-zealous when re-oiling it after cleaning), and K&N has also issued an official statement about this http://www.knfilters.com/massair.htm. I've done a lot of hard driving with my K&N panel filter and had no problems, just smooth running and a more aggressive induction noise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yer i had this oil aswell when i opened up the airbox coming in through the breahter, anyone know where the maf is on a 1.4 would like to give that a clean too.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It's really impossible to tell by looking at them. Either of those will give you a more aggressive induction sound because they are designed for maximum airflow, not for acoustic damping. If you want a deep, throaty roar, you need a long, fairly rigid pipe (which acts as a resonant port). I don't think there is such a design for the 1.4, but someone else might know better. You could even fabricate one yourself using some light alloy piping, Samco silicone hose bend joints to get around corners, and a K&N universal cone filter.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Yeah it was the pipercross induction kit I had on mine. Took it off when it started
leaking oil, was a waste of time really - I actually noticed an
increase in performance once the standard airbox was back on (though
this may have been because the induction filter was dirty).

The noise was ok though, I like the induction swoosh. Gave quite a
growl also, I tended to avoid high revving (where it was loudest)
though because I didn't want to sound like a boy racer [:D]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts