Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have had my golf for about 6 months now and since the winter has hit i have noticed that my urban MPG can frequently reach as low as 20 MPG. My right foot isn't heavy and i don't use the air con. When i say urban driving, i mean that my journeys last less than 2 miles and the engine does not warm up at all. I'm not sure if that will effect it. Any help will be much appreciated.

P.S. I do not have much technical knowledge of this car, so please could you dumb your answers down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think with most engines they run quite rich when the coolant temperature is low. As the engine heats up and therefore the coolant temp. starts to increase, the ecu leans off the fuelling.
So basically you'll achieve better economy once the coolant is up to 90 degrees. I've also noticed that if you leave your car idling in the drive to heat up, it takes longer for the engine to heat up and puts a hefty dent in your average mpg.
I'm not an engine expert, these are just things I've observed driving my tdi 130 and my time driving my supercharged 205 trackcar.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
if your journeys last less than 2 miles is it not easier to walk or cycle as your prob end up doing more damage in the long run hence the low mpg's mine when it was really cold took a good 8-10 miles before it got up to 90 but thats the coolant oil prob a bit longer

Ian

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
You drive two miles every day? Wow, you have too much money to throw at fuel if you would rather do that then walk/cycle.

MPG will always be low on a TDI in winter, its the way cold air and ambient temp affects the engine.

Looking at your economy all the time and expecting 100mpg+ is a false economy in itself. Sadly some people exagerate what these cars can get and it makes people think things are horribly wrong when the car is fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts