Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....Is from Wolverhampton!

Just caught this on Fifth Gear. didnt catch what the car was called but looked like an old American Muscle car.

2200bhp....Chevy V8...Twin Turbo....NOS. and an MOT Certificate.... uses it for quarter miles and gets a 7sec run...0-60 in 1 second apparently.

Will keep my eye open for it! Spent around 100k on it also.

Anyone else see it , or know where you can find out more about it?

[H]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha , thanks for that link. Now i recall seeing pictures of it on the wall in Penn Autos, just up the road from me. We sometimes deal with them as they repair some BMW transmissions for us [y] Will have to go for a smooch about one time!

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
The last time I read about this country holding the world street legal record was with a Calibra,I think a yellow one about a year ago.Good to see we can beat the Americans at a sport they invented more than once.

Chris.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
It was a vauxhall victor they say.. but 0-60 in 1sec [:eek:] I'd love to see it but i doubt he brings it out much as normal driving equates to 5mpg [:eek:]

Sat [y]

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
5 MPG is pretty good for 2200BHP,my mates 7.7 litre Cadillac with something like 400BHP used to drop to 6 MPG around town,and only 10 -11 on a run.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
The last time I read about this country holding the world street legal record was with a Calibra,I think a yellow one about a year ago.Good to see we can beat the Americans at a sport they invented more than once.

Chris.
it was a red one - owned by Steve Pateman - the car was quickest for about 3 years. This years CCSE championship was been a record in itself with John Sleath's Audi ( www.audiracing.co.uk ) being the UKs first car in the 7s - remember this is on treaded tyres and with full exhausts. There is also Steve Nash's Cougar which runs a 598cu twin turbo engine

Twin turbo is the way to go

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Jeeeeeezussss,when I first started watching drag racing (won't say how many years ago) and they were still using Blackbushe,funny cars were still running 7s,or only just in the 6s IIRC.Four second runs still bring me out in goosebumps as my favourite sound anywhere has to be a top fuel V8 doing it's thing.

But I love the fact that we can beat Americans and the Swedes at what they have normally been the best in the world at,building drag racing engines,keep it up guys pleeeeaasseeee!

Chris.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
So it is quick off the traffic lights, but when the first roundabout or bend comes, it is shafted! Lol. [:p] And it could pass anything except a petrol station [:D]

Point to point, either of the below would be better, although slower in a straight line [;)]

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
How the hell do you drive a car that does 0-60 in 1 second on anything other than a drag strip?
Very useful when looking for spaces in Tesco car park.....
PMSL!

I know a guy that darted in to a space that a woman was waiting for, and in his haste, the speed he went in to the space was too great for the room he had to brake, and he smashed the front end of his car!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How the hell do you drive a car that does 0-60 in 1 second on anything other than a drag strip?
Oooh it would be tempting at a set of trafffic lights i tell thee. Hes also made it to be as road user friendly as possible.....

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Oooh it would be tempting at a set of trafffic lights i tell thee. Hes also made it to be as road user friendly as possible.....
LOL I assume the thing has 565/15/16 rear tyres and the front lifts off the ground when he floors it, powering the car along at an angle of 45 degrees...that will sure scare the living daylights out of the guy in a green 1.2 Nova with Lexus tail lights and window stickers at the lights...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The chap who owns this fastest car was in my work today, bought a bmw in for us to look at. While i was working away i was listening in on a conversation he was having with my bosses

Apparently the week after he appeared on 5th gear...his youtube video featuring his car on a 1/4 mile run has nearly 500,000 hits in a week.

Hes searched the web and has even seen his car being discussed on Playstation forums amoungst other random ones

Has become quite "famous" and now has work agents. didnt quite catch what for but i think its for promotional things.

Been offered a deal with The Sun. Which will pay him quite well....enough to get him a fancy truck to carry his car to the tracks, cater for the diagnostic equipment, tools, living quarters etc.....atm he toes it with a transit.

Hes racing at Santa Pod next weekend...asked if we wanted to go watch...but we are taking him up on the offer in May when he starts the new season...plusthe weather will be better.

Over all he seems like a cool chap, and i hope he does well out of this as you can tell hes put so much time into it , and has such enthusiasm for the sport.

Thought id share it with you all.

·
Registered
890 Posts
it was a red one - owned by Steve Pateman - the car was quickest for about 3 years. This years CCSE championship was been a record in itself with John Sleath's Audi ( www.audiracing.co.uk ) being the UKs first car in the 7s - remember this is on treaded tyres and with full exhausts. There is also Steve Nash's Cougar which runs a 598cu twin turbo engine

Twin turbo is the way to go
Seen some of the John Sleath cars run at www.york-raceway.co.uk, including the Jag XJS and cortina, but never manage to catch his own Audi there - certainly looks impressive from videos i've seen on the net!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just been sent and watched the video from 5th Gear - looks very impressive, especially from the in car view when he dabs the throttle that little bit when out on the road

[Y]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts