Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i'd create a topic for any non-england world cup discussions.....

just turned on todays 2nd match and saw Rosicky score a blinder against the States. 2-0

Need Nedved to score now as he's in my Fantasy Footy team. [:)]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Was a cracking goal from Rosicky.

Saw Aussie play earlier, pleasantly surprised they beat Japan towards the end.

Can't what to see Brazil though.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats is it with the goals in this world cup, another cracker from Pirlo.

Italy 1 - 0 Ghana

·
Registered
674 Posts
Its something to do with this "new" ball they are using. Its supposed to be a nightmare for keepers as it loves to "fly"..

Hence alot of the strikers are having a go from outside the box.

That Tomas Rosicky is Arsenals replacement for Pires. Looks like they have found another Great player......

Roll on tonight for the Brazillians, then 2mrw night the one game Im itching to watch - Spain v Ukraine!!! Been looking forward to this one since the groups were drawn......Torres in one corner, and Shev in the other!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yep its defiantly a game to watch tonight should have a few goals going on in it!

So get down the off licences for some cold beers.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have been impressed with Ivory Coast and Ghana, they look very strong. Notice how the players of these teams do not feign injury, they really do play the game.

I think in the next World Cup African nations will feature more, especially as it is being held in South Africa. I expect top leagues like the Premiership will buy players from Africa and will evolve and improve for the better of African football. With a bit of discipline both of these countries and other African nations they could be very VERY good.

I do not think Croatia is a push over for Brazil and I am also looking forward to "watching" Spain vs Ukraine though I will be at work [:(]

·
Registered
674 Posts
African Players have been getting better and better since Cameroon qualified in 94 really, not a new thing to be fair.

Look at Arsenals Toure, Man Utds Essian (highest valued African player at ?30million), Chelsea's Drogba etc etc, there are many really really good players already playing at the highest level. I think you will start to see more in the lower leagues over the next four years though as more clubs "scout" the african teams and bring the players over to the UK.

South Africa themselves dont really have a good team of players, and Im guessing they will be the only team to Automatically qualify. So the same amount of African teams qualify for the next world cup but its getting closer and tighter over there - hence the likes of Ghana, Ivory Coast etc qualifying for this years world cup.

Thought Ghana looked great in midfield and on the break, just couldnt find the back of the net with a very weak looking Italian defence (always leaky!!). And the italians did look good on the ball.

Its always good to see newer nations taking to the sport, look at Korea and Japan in the last world cup. Never done well before but did very well in their home World Cup. OK the heat helped them, but that will always happen.

C O M E O N E N G L A N D ! ! !

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have been impressed with Ivory Coast and Ghana, they look very strong. Notice how the players of these teams do not feign injury, they really do play the game.
I have to disagree on that. On a couple of occasions Ghana players would fall and start crying (like Italian players, admittedly), and as soon as the ref decided there was no foul, they'd stand up completely healed!

I think it is now standard practice across all continents to try to obtain as many free kicks/penalties as possible, however unethical some attempts might be.

Oh, and how funny was that poor Ghanian sod called PingPong? Made me chuckle for 10 minutes [:D]

·
Registered
674 Posts
Come off it, even Thierry Henry did it the other night. And the worst thing was he was not on the field of play and the french expected the Swiss to knock the ball out - thats just wrong wrong wrong. They should have carried on.

I know Henry is not that sort of player, and this is no way directed at him.

Its an unfortunate part of the game and has happened in nearly all the matches Ive watched. You dont see the brazilians do it though I noticed last night.......

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is it me or are the images on TV (most noticeable when the camera is zoomed out) badly pixelated as though it is in a digital form?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Subs Aaron Lennon and Wayne Rooney changed the game in our favour. Aaron should play from the start by default, such pace.

I think England need a difficult game, a slap in the face. Perhaps Sweden will oblige.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Subs Aaron Lennon and Wayne Rooney changed the game in our favour. Aaron should play from the start by default, such pace.

I think England need a difficult game, a slap in the face. Perhaps Sweden will oblige.
Given the chance Lennon could be the real star of the tornement for Englad.

I personally thought That Dwight Yorke was the best/most dedicated player on the field, damn he worked hard and put some wicked crosses in.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Seeing as how this is a Non-England thread, I would like to take this opportunity to wish Ecuador all the best in their next game [:p]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Ha ha ha Horace / Chief,

That other thread has been deleted, shame as I was going to say at least I can take the football seriously unlike you [:p]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts