Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a 4motion front valance fitted and both valances colour coded. Also got my new plates fitted. I opted for the blue VW badge to hopefully tie in nicely with the indigo blue of the car, which I think works pretty well.

Posted some before and after pics for some feedback. Sorry about the quality of the 'after' pics, typical Scottish weather and low light!! Hopefully you should get the idea, although I'm going to post some when it's had the megs treatment!!

Any comments welcome!

Before...

After...

Two questions though! Should I lose or keep the Golf and GTi badges? Should I lose or keep the mudguards?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
looking nice [H]

but lose the mudflaps - makes the car look like a teacher's car! Keep the GOLF and GTI badges - don't see the point of debadging.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
looks good.. but i would debadge the golf as i always think the left hand side always look cluttered with the golf lettering..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good - get rid of the flaps!

How much did it cost to do the valances?
Cost £100 to get the new valance fitted and both colour coded, but that was including getting a couple of stone chips and scratches touched up.

There's a really good DIY guide on here for doing them, but since I've not got a garage to tackle it myself, I just got a local bodyshop to do it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the feedback guys, I am pretty chuffed with the outcome.

I had leaned toward removing the rear badges, but do any of you guys have the ability to paintshop them out so I can get a look before I take them off?

Mudguards will be gone asap!!!! [+o(]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here you go mate, think it looks much better to be honest. Doesn't advertise the GTI as much.

Andy

Posted Image

Ooops, I took some of the reflection out, but you get the idea...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for that mate.

Totally agree, looks 100 times better without any badges.

Can i be a pain in the ar*e and ask you to do an example of what a black front VW badge would look like. It's something I've thought about, but not sure whether the chrome looks better or not.

Thanks again mate, much appreciated. [Y]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be honest mate, I really like the look of the badgeless rear. I'm just not sure whether the black VW badges may be a bit of overkill, although I have seen them on other members cars and they look really good.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah mate, it's the same car. I'd bought a private plate and was holding off putting my plates on until I got the valances done.

I think the blue VW badge on the plate ties in pretty well with the blue of the car though.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
£100 !! for front valance and spraying? where did you get that done? how much was the front valance? did you get it from the stealers? did you have the valances sanded down to smooth? what body shop did you use?

sorry for so many questions im just amazed and if its that cheap think i will be getting mine done.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
£100 !! for front valance and spraying? where did you get that done? how much was the front valance? did you get it from the stealers? did you have the valances sanded down to smooth? what body shop did you use?

sorry for so many questions im just amazed and if its that cheap think i will be getting mine done.
It was £100 just for fitting the new front valance, spraying both of them and touching up a few stone chips and minor scratches. The V6 valance was £42 from the stealer. I didn't go down the road of sanding down the valances mate, and to be honest I you cant really tell unless you rub your hand over the surface. I don't know whether that's because my caris a really dark colour or not?

I got the work done at a local bodyshop 'Brownieside Garage'. It's just a one man operation, but my mate got qouted a similar price for getting his done at a much larger operation in Glasgow, so the price looks to be spot on.

It's defintely a mod worth doing as it toally changes the look of the car. Someone actually said it looked like the car had been lowered!!

Hope that answers your questions mate.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

It was £100 just for fitting the new front valance, spraying both of them and touching up a few stone chips and minor scratches. The V6 valance was £42 from the stealer. I didn't go down the road of sanding down the valances mate, and to be honest I you cant really tell unless you rub your hand over the surface. I don't know whether that's because my caris a really dark colour or not?

I got the work done at a local bodyshop 'Brownieside Garage'. It's just a one man operation, but my mate got qouted a similar price for getting his done at a much larger operation in Glasgow, so the price looks to be spot on.

It's defintely a mod worth doing as it toally changes the look of the car. Someone actually said it looked like the car had been lowered!!

Hope that answers your questions mate.

Cheers.
Yes thanks, its something ive been wanting to do for a longtime, as you said it transforms the look. i have found a post on here detailing how to save your self a few quid and spray them yourself so i think im going to give it a go and if that fails take it to the paintshop.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go for it mate. I ain't got a garage so that's the only reason I didn't chance it myself.

Best of luck mate, and mind postsome pics when it's done.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Very nice, i'm in the keep the flaps camp also. VW mudflaps are some of the best fitted and styled around. I plan on modding my own to fit around the GLI kit i am getting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts