Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well

got myself a new job so I though I'd celebrate by rewarding myself with a new car. Decided to trade in the Mk 5 1.9TDi and found myself a brand new, in stock, GTi. It's Shadow blue, with sunroof, centre armrest, and 6 cd changer. I can pick it up next week !!!!! Happy Dayzzz.

Steve

·
Registered
245 Posts
Congratulations Steve! It will be a looooong wait until next week. Looking forward to some pictures. Guess you will be hanging on to those wheels you got there?

Cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all

I got it from Allbrandsnew in Hull. Its an import, got it for ?8500 cost to change with mine traded in. My trade in price was about ?11k wich considering I paid that for the car a year ago, it's lost nothing in a year. all in all I thought this was a good deal. Yes I think I'll transfer the wheels over, as I really like the New RS4's. Funy though they dont look as good in the pics as they do on the car. I get people looking at them all the time and comments about how good they look on the car. So I may have a set of OEM 17" monza's for sale with del miles if anyone is interested. Of course pics to follow

Steve

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi all

I got it from Allbrandsnew in Hull. Its an import, got it for ?8500 cost to change with mine traded in. My trade in price was about ?11k wich considering I paid that for the car a year ago, it's lost nothing in a year. all in all I thought this was a good deal. Yes I think I'll transfer the wheels over, as I really like the New RS4's. Funy though they dont look as good in the pics as they do on the car. I get people looking at them all the time and comments about how good they look on the car. So I may have a set of OEM 17" monza's for sale with del miles if anyone is interested. Of course pics to follow

Steve
Result,hope all goes well and look forwards to photo's soon.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Yes I think I'll transfer the wheels over, as I really like the New RS4's. Funy though they dont look as good in the pics as they do on the car.
Steve, that's not uncommon in the slightest mate, cars often (not always though!) look better in the flesh, but wheels are always much better when seen in person - photos for some bizarre reason never do do them justice [:)]

C

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cor I'll tell you what guys, the day just gets better and better. I have just won an ebay auction for a full RCD500 sat nav system for ?375.00. Lots of installs to the new car, what with transferring my phone kit and icelink. Has anyone mounted the GPS adapter at the top of the window? Or, andwhere less easliy seen than on the dash?

thanks

steve

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Steve, have a run through of the ICE and Audio section for mark 5 there's a fair old pile of stuff surrounding where to put the GPS receiver and installation how-to's and tips [y]

C

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Cor I'll tell you what guys, the day just gets better and better. I have just won an ebay auction for a full RCD500 sat nav system for ?375.00.
The satnav system is called the MFD2, if you've just been sold the RCD500, you've just won the in-dash cd-changer/radio system which probably isn't worth ?100.

Hopefully it's just a typo and you haven't been had, but that is very cheap for the satnav system...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes thats true - the RCD 500 is indeed an in-dash CD chager radio that is a ?399 option in a new Golf. Not much of a bargain if thats the case, although they are hard to find.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi all

yes sorry got my nomenclature(good chemistry word) a bit wrong. It should have indeed read MFD2. I was a bit worried at first because it was coming from Lithuania, but his feedback is superb, and he has sold lots of these. I reckon there is either a black market in these systems, or a good source of cheap ones in the eastern block as there seems to be loads of sellers from this area all selling nav systems. According to the auction it comes with a UK CD - the seller is a square trader so I hope all should be fine. I will get my new Reg no tomorrow so I can sort out the insurance. I have been quoted only an extra ?40 per year over the 1.9Tdi(Privilege) -I suppose there are some advantages to being a married old git with a clean driving licence and 7 years no claims. I wonder how long this will last with a new GTi !!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I bought one from this seller and it didn't work when I fitted it, I've returned it and he is saying that it works perfectly after testing and that I need to do something different to get it working.

I belive it should have just plugged in and worked fine with no extra work needed. Here's his reply (His English isn't great...), anyone have any idea what he's trying to say?

"I received your item.I tested your item and its
working perfectly.I wrote to your before consult with
specelist.I now 100% what manufactured raidio it's not
same like MFD2.Your one was manufactured
radio.manufactured radio connect with one positive,to
MFD2 have to be 2 positives to connect.So you see it's
not my fault so I want 20 pounds for posting."

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi thomask1

oh bollox here we go. One thing did you cut/or need to cut the rear connection that Foxy describes in his install (yellow plug) so that they are both connected. At the back of the unit there are two connections very close to each other, one is a cream colour, one is yellow- think they may be ariel and can bus. Where these both connected? Also when you say it is not working do you mean dead on arrival or some of the functions are not working?

Steve

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think!!!! I may have dechipered what he is trying to say in that your factory fit radio is different to the nornal fit for the mfd2. I think it's what I was saying in the last post that the canbus(dark yellow i think) needs to be connected. i.e the two coloured connections at the bottom of the unit - one is cream one is yellow. Are these both connected?

Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts