Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with writing a cv.

I am currently a contractor and out of three of us (well four but one is covering another's maternity leave) and there are going to be two full time positions advertised shortly. The two that get them will become a proper employee here and the rest will lose their contractor position.

I have been here the longest and have the most experience out of the current team, so that is to my advantage, but I need to update my cv as I haven't changed it in about three and a half years (since I started this job).

So, any advice ? Where should I look online for advice ? Anyone offer me some tips ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
2 pages at most..

keep it factual,

Persona details
address
driving status
marital staus

qualifications, list GCSE's just as 5 A's etc dont have to list them same with A Levels3 at grade C etc but do emphasise any proffesinal or vocatinal qualification

then employment history starting at most recent, working backwards

·
Registered
495 Posts

I am currently a contractor and out of three of us (well four but one is covering another's maternity leave) and there are going to be two full time positions advertised shortly. The two that get them will become a proper employee here and the rest will lose their contractor position.

I have been here the longest and have the most experience out of the current team, so that is to my advantage, but I need to update my cv as I haven't changed it in about three and a half years (since I started this job).

So, any advice ? Where should I look online for advice ? Anyone offer me some tips ?

Thanks !
Dan, You have the advantage of already working there. So I would schedule an informal 30 minute meeting with HR and in it ask them what kind of information they would like to see on your CV and how you can increase your chances of a succesful application.

I was a contractor like yourself before being made permenent and thats exactly what I did... it shows initative and it also shows (them) that you are actively engaged.

Good luck dude... Perm status has its perks [:D][Y]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks !
Dan, You have the advantage of already working there. So I would schedule an informal 30 minute meeting with HR and in it ask them what kind of information they would like to see on your CV and how you can increase your chances of a succesful application.

I was a contractor like yourself before being made permenent and thats exactly what I did... it shows initative and it also shows (them) that you are actively engaged.

That's a good idea, do you think I should do that before or after the job is advertised ?

Yeah, I have the most experience of the four of us on my team who could apply for the two available positions and I have built and worked with the largest variety of different submission dossiers for regulatory affairs, including two major marketing authorisations, so I think I have best chance of my current team.

Cheers for the advice Carlos [Y] [:D]

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
A few questions

Have you worked at the current company in different posistions and for how long ?

A couple of things to bear in mind think of examples of where you have had a problem an action and a result i.e. what part you played in it and work those into your CV and role and dont think just because it is part of your job that it is not worth putting in.

I have been to a few interviews over the last 6 months and have really polished both my interview and CV to a high standard where it has been praised and commented on in a posistive manner, so let me know if you want me to pm you it to give you some idea's etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few questions

Have you worked at the current company in different posistions and for how long ?

A couple of things to bear in mind think of examples of where you have had a problem an action and a result i.e. what part you played in it and work those into your CV and role and dont think just because it is part of your job that it is not worth putting in.

I have been to a few interviews over the last 6 months and have really polished both my interview and CV to a high standard where it has been praised and commented on in a posistive manner, so let me know if you want me to pm you it to give you some idea's etc.

Good luck
Cheers Henry. Actually I thought I might send it to a few people (once it's completed) to get some pointers, good or bad.

Yeah, feel free to pm or email me any pointers or advice you may have [Y]

Yes, I have been here, in three different roles (well four but the first was only for two weeks in a temp position so that's not really a proper role), since march 2001. I can show all of those on the cv and they are quite varied in the job roles and functions [:)]

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
ok try to focus on the roles which have the most relevance to the work you are going for.

I will PM you tonight with it to show how I laid mine out and what I focused on.

Is it a competency based interview or a informal chat .......

·
Registered
495 Posts

Thanks !

That's a good idea, do you think I should do that before or after the job is advertised ?

Yeah, I have the most experience of the four of us on my team who could apply for the two available positions and I have built and worked with the largest variety of different submission dossiers for regulatory affairs, including two major marketing authorisations, so I think I have best chance of my current team.

In the first instance I would mention to HR that you are interested in applying for one of the upcoming positions because you could save them ?5- 10k in recruitment consultant fees (the typical cost to recruit externally).

However once the positions are officially released (internally, externally or both) I would make my move and schedule that HR meeting. It might also be worth you thinking about possible references, because unlike an external candidates, they most likely will speak to your line manangers.... so you can pre-empt that by giving them names of managers who will give you glowing references [A]

C

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok try to focus on the roles which have the most relevance to the work you are going for.

I will PM you tonight with it to show how I laid mine out and what I focused on.

Is it a competency based interview or a informal chat .......
Well, it will be advertised externally too, so it will be (I expect) an interview with my manager and his boss and then an HR interview, then another HR interview and possibly another interview after that. so i'd say a bit of both. They do give you a right grilling here though.. apparently our departments hr representative is ex military police ! [:O]

I think the hr ones are more about the type of person you are and the ones with my managers will be more about my experience within the role (they both know me well as have been working for them for 3yrs and 9 months !)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks !

In the first instance I would mention to HR that you are interested in applying for one of the upcoming positions because you could save them ?5- 10k in recruitment consultant fees (the typical cost to recruit externally).

However once the positions are officially released (internally, externally or both) I would make my move and schedule that HR meeting. It might also be worth you thinking about possible references, because unlike an external candidates, they most likely will speak to your line manangers.... so you can pre-empt that by giving them names of managers who will give you glowing references [A]

C
Oh right, I understand. The references part is a bit of a problem as both the managers from my previous two positions here have left the company since. They will def speak to my current manager but he will be who I work for in the end should I get the position. so not sure if he can give a reference to someone who currently works for him and who may end up being his report ?!? [*-)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, i've finally done my cv and covering letter and applied online. Application closes this friday. Just got to wait around now to see if I get an interview. I'm pretty certain I will [:S] [:|] [:)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, a month to the day after the last post, I have my first of six interviews this morning at 9am til 10am with HR. Apparently the guy who does it is quite easy going, apparently ! Will wait and see at 9 o' clock though I guess. Only found out yesterday afternoon !

Got the other five interviews from 9am on the 7th september.

One with my boss for the first hour,

then a regulatory person from downstairs (always got on well with her),

then my managers manager (He's more senoir than my boss, but probably more easy going),

then after lunch with his manager from the states (He's quite untypically american though, which is good),

then a meeting with his boss, the global director of our department. Phew.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts