Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's,

This has probably been mentioned before but I have just used Wonder Wheels (avaliable from halfords etc) for the first time on my alloys (non standard 18's). Tried on one back wheel which had contaminated brake dust and loads of tiny little specs of black stuff, which I'm presuming was either tar or tiny spots of brake dust build up. In the corners of the spokes, these had joined up and caused the alloy wheels to look crap with black bits all over them. They also had a brown/yellow tinge on them.

I used wonder wheels with first the aplicator brush and after with a scouring pad (those foam backed things u scrub pans with, NOT the wire ones!) to get the last bits of black stuff off. All I can say is WOW! With a bit of elbow grease and this formula, my wheel now looks better than new!

Only trouble is, I now have 1 shiny wheel and 3 old and dirty ones, but it's far too cold outside to be doing this and windy and I have a cold, so next weekend hopefully and I will try and get before and after pics up.

For ?6.99 this is one of the best cleaning products I have used and wanted to recomend it!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just remember that it might well clean them very well, but it is acid and if the wheel coating is damaged anywhere at all it will damage the wheel.

I haven't used the stuff for years. Now on to wheel wax, which is a pig to apply, but once on stops the wheels from getting as dirty in the first place.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard not too use it to much, because it is a little harsh, but it is damn good stuff or so I thought after trying many different formula's on the wheels. When I do the others (waiting for nicer weather after wasting yesterdays sunshine) I'll find something to put on the alloys for after the cleaning to protect them a bit.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Its by far the strongest stuff I have tried, I used to love it. BUT as said above, its so strong its likely to cause damage if the laquer is cracked anywhere. Ihaven't used it on my current wheels as yet...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, I've added a couple of pics. I'm just so impressed. Please be aware that I have used other alloy wheel cleaners, industrial metal cleaners and also brake fluid to get rid of this stuff! Wonder wheels did it with ease...

Please note that due to having a raging cold I only half did the wheel! Firstly I was sneezing all over the place which kind of put me off, it was cold, windy and to top it all off it started raining and as much as I wanted to continue cleaning, I stopped! Will be taking the wheels off next time I do it hopefully next weekend to do them proper.

Before (different wheel but it was the same if not worse)

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

Results in my opinion speak for themselves.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Wonder Wheels is made from a substance called Phosphoric Acid and it completely water soluable. It will not damage any paint finish if washed off properly after application and subsequent cleaning.

IF you miss a patch of acid or have split rims where it's not easy to see where it has penetrated to; then you will have the typical acid corrosive effect.

I use a similar substance on my Machine Tools at work called "Altrans"

One nasty side effect of phosphoric acid is it can find the smallest of small cuts in your hand and there is bugger all you can do about except jump around bleating until it disappears. 'cos it stings like hell! Oh and I've had some squirted into my eyes (accidentally) that caned for a few minutes I tell thee![B)]

·
Registered
646 Posts
It is good stuff, but wouldnt use regularly. I have just got some of that Virosol stuff (?6.50 for 5 litres you dilute) and its very good and being citric based isnt really harmful.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I used it again the other day and my wheels look brand new; I don't bother with the brush though. A J-cloth seems to work better; I noticed that the packet advised against use on split-rim wheels. The solution maybe acidic but it appears diluted to me? You still need to rub the wheel q.hard and surely neat acid would be alot more aggressive..?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One nasty side effect of phosphoric acid is it can find the smallest of small cuts in your hand and there is bugger all you can do about except jump around bleating until it disappears. 'cos it stings like hell! Oh and I've had some squirted into my eyes (accidentally) that caned for a few minutes I tell thee![B)]

Tell me about it! I got a cut on my finger and it hurt like hell for about 2 mins, after that was fine! Decided them to get a pair of gloves like the back of the bottle tells you too!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd like to know the best products for weekly use also, have just been using water and car shampoo up till this clean. Probably how they get to end up in the state they are in. Wouldn't mind keeping them this way on a weekly basis with a non harmful but good product, if there is one!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Do some searches for @[email protected] or @[email protected]

I use that stuff and you will get a similar effect as the WW and you can use it at different strengths.

- however on a weeky basis I would still only use soap and water - monthly virosol (50% Virosol & 50% water) and qty neat virosol

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Royster on 20/03/2005 17:01:50

One nasty side effect of phosphoric acid is it can find the smallest of small cuts in your hand and there is bugger all you can do about except jump around bleating until it disappears.

So true!

Based on Roys comments Im probably going back to Wonder Wheels (fairly cheap in Makro) as it really works. I have Virisol and either its a duff batch, or I must be doing something wrong, as despite using it 100% neat, its useless. I get the same results as if I just use a sponge and soapy (Zymol Wash) water, it doesn't get the tough stuff in the corners off at all.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 20/03/2005 19:19:50

Based on Roys comments Im probably going back to Wonder Wheels (fairly cheap in Makro) as it really works. I have Virisol and either its a duff batch, or I must be doing something wrong, as despite using it 100% neat, its useless. I get the same results as if I just use a sponge and soapy (Zymol Wash) water, it doesn't get the tough stuff in the corners off at all.

Mike must be duff batch. Mine seems quite good, cleaned the company car black wheels this w/e no problems.

Failing that if you have a costco nearby 5 litres of WW for ?9.00 super bargain [:D]

·
Registered
942 Posts
Must admit i do like wonder wheels as it does the job well. As long as you clean the stuff off with water stright after each wheel there shouldnt be any probs.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Ricardo on 20/03/2005 19:26:18

Mike must be duff batch. Mine seems quite good, cleaned the company car black wheels this w/e no problems.

I think so [:(!]. It works for everyone else and the pics I've seen of Virisols effects suggest its goods tuff. Smells orangey but its not working for me - just my luck!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Quote: posted by W36 EJO on 20/03/2005 17:53:00

Tell me about it! I got a cut on my finger and it hurt like hell for about 2 mins, after that was fine! Decided them to get a pair of gloves like the back of the bottle tells you too!

Big girls blouses the pair of ya! I wash me contacts in it! Well 'ard![;)]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts