Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a MkV 2.0 GT TD 140 with full electics pack, leather, CD changer and lots of other goodies. Having driven a PD 150 for the past 3 years I was pretty confident that the new car wouldn't dissapoint.

The bad news is that in 3 months this car has been back to the dealer 4 times and spent a total of 10 days off the road due to a major hickup in Wolfsburg. Apparently somewhere on the production line a dosy employee forgot to fit an air con drainage hose the consequence of which was a car that was constantly damp and needed a sponge to clear the inside of the windows every morning. The dealer couln't work it out it took three trips back for them to fianlly get to grips with the prblem. By this time the damage was so bad that the carpets and underlay had strated to rot and the car smelt like a wet dog! The dealer eventually replaced all the underlay and carpets throughout the car, however as the carpets had to come from Germant I had to suffer the indignity of driving a Sharan (the only loan car available for a week).

Anyway rant over - the dissapointing thing is that I have not even recieved a letter of apology from Volkswagen - does anyone have the address of a UK VW head honcho that I could complain to?

LTM

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pretty sure you can get the HO address in Milton Keynes off the VW website, I would of thought a free first service at the very least would be in order after all your problems, your usual first point of contact though is the dealer, good luck and glad it is finally sorted[:)]

·
Registered
566 Posts
Here's the head honcho at VW GB:

Mr Paul Willis

Director

VW Customer Care

Yeomans Drive

Blakelands

Milton Keynes

MK14 5AN

~ Maxie

·
Registered
90 Posts
We got an Autochanger off them when we complained after our Engine blew up. Secret is to make them feel sorry fr you and don't get angry.

Apart from that how do you find the 140 after your PD 150?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Maxie,

I'll definatley chase an apology and a free service.

I checked the legal rights on rejecting the car but it reqired dropping the car at the dealer and with an offical repudiation of the contract on the grounds that it was unsutibale for use within 6 weeks of delivery. Legally the dealer then has "a reasonable length of tme" to make the vehicle good which they managed after several trips back and a few choice words!

Regards,

LTM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you got an autochanger out of the engine incident.

Other than the damp the I'm pretty happy with the 140 - I'd site the usual gripes on build quality compared with the MkIV, and the loss of 10 horses is made more noticable by the gear ratios in the 140 which make it much more of a sedate drive than the 150 which picks up like a rocket when provoked.

·
Registered
87 Posts
it may of lost ten horses but the torque output is still the same?

just a smoother way of delivering and much improved over the slam in the back(mind you i may of said otherwise 15 year ago) of the 150 mkiv.[;)]

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have to say I preferred the 150PD, the 2.0tdi is more refined in it's power delivery and mine was probably just as quick in the real world but the 150 had more excitement and due to its neck jerking power delivery always felt quicker IMO - I loved that car [:D]

The 2.0tdi has certainly moved things on though and as a mile muncher is a superb and fairly quick car - even better remapped of course[;)]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I checked the legal rights on rejecting the car but it reqired dropping the car at the dealer and with an offical repudiation of the contract on the grounds that it was unsutibale for use within 6 weeks of delivery. Legally the dealer then has "a reasonable length of tme" to make the vehicle good which they managed after several trips back and a few choice words!
Not completely true. Check out this. http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

Another thing I've seen on another motoring site says that any fault that occurs within 6 months of manufacture is considered to have been present from day 1.

When I rejected mine the dealer had a quick look at fixing the problem, didn't and agreed to give me a new car straight away. They also provided me with a free courtesy brand new mkV for the 10 weeks that my new one took to order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the dti link - I'm going to chase the dealer again today and advise them that I'll be writing to the Director of Customer care.

The dealer did supply a coutesy car on each occasion - a couple of 1.6 MkV's and an auto Sharan than drank diesel like a fish!

I'll post any update on the apology for VW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Contacting Paul Willis worked a treat - his PA called me back within minutes of sending him the email.

I've since been offered ?400 off servicing - am very happy with that!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a car from the German nation,

Which filled itself with condensation.

You lent me a Sharan,

It corners like a van;

So please can you give me compensation.

Yours etc,

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Here's the head honcho at VW GB:

Mr Paul Willis

Director

VW Customer Care

Yeomans Drive

Blakelands

Milton Keynes

MK14 5AN

~ Maxie
Waste of time writing to him! I did some time ago* and all I got back was a letter written or signed on his behalf by his PA or secretary.

About as much use as a f**t in a vacuum.

*complaint was about my new supplied car being deficient with respect to the specification I had expected when I'd ordered the car 10 weeks previously (If you see what I mean)

[:^)]

·
Registered
90 Posts
As I said before the secret is to make them feel sorry for you.

I got that peal of wisdom from a relative who was a customer service manager for a rather large company (better not name them). You have to remember that these guys get loads of complaint letters a day. The ones that get immediate and best attention is where you make them feel sorry for you and then angry at the way their minions have treated you. Always show how reasonable you have been and document the responses you have got earlier on in the process.

If the boss guy thinks you are reasonable then they will be raging at the way you have been treated. If you come across as an agressive smart alec then they will begin to empathise with their staff. You have to remember that there are serial complainers out there, they have to deal with a fair few every day. To get anywhere you need to make yourself different from them.

Think of the Airport serious where you always get some agressive pillock trying to make a cheap point for the cameras. No one likes a smart alec even if they are correct. Agression makes people defensive - it's human nature.

Be completely reasonable, don't get personal or nasty and don't try to be smart. If your case is valid you will always get well looked after. Since he told me that one I have tried it a few times in different situations and have always gained from it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good Advice from "Black". I bought 2 MKV's when I got mine (max negotiating power) as one was for my mother in law so I really talked that up. Just bought 2 cars from you etc... have been a loyal VW customer for many years, see copy of email below which did the trick - I had a call from the MD of my local dealer within 15 mins of sending the email.

Good luck!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Dear Paul, <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I am sorry to have to escalate this to you but as a lifelong VW customer I would like to give you one last opportunity to resurrect my loyalty to the VAG group. I am sure you do not have time to scroll through a lengthy email describing the history of this problem so I will keep it very brief:<o:p></o:p>

I recently purchased 2 new Golf MkV vehicles from Windrush Volkswagen in Maidenhead. One of the cars a GT TD 140 had to be returned to the dealer 4 times in the first 6 weeks of ownership in relation to a number of faults. The least serious of these faults were fixed and replacement parts fitted to my vehicle, however since delivery the car had been showing signs of excessive damp inside including severe condensation and despite numerous investigations by my dealer I was assured that everything was normal with the car. After returning the car to the dealer for the 4th time it eventually transpired that during manufacture of the vehicle a drainage hose in the air conditioning unit had not been fitted and the air conditioning fluid was draining directly into the passenger foot well of the vehicle. This had caused the carpets and underlay throughout the car to become sodden, mouldy and begin to rot leaving the car smelling anything but new. My dealer eventually replaced all the carpets and underlay throughout the car taking it off the road for another week and the problem now appears to have been resolved. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p><o:p> </o:p>

The After Sales Manager at Windrush (Mr Peter Hibbet) promised to approach Volkswagen on my behalf on the 13th September in order to secure a goodwill gesture of some sort as a token of apology for the inconvenience caused (See emails below). Despite numerous calls to Peter at Windrush during the last 6 weeks I have not heard anything further on this matter. <o:p></o:p>

As I was very close to rejecting the car and requesting my money back after returning the car 4 times I would be very keen to hear what you can offer as a token of apology.<o:p></o:p>

Kind regards, <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p> <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts