Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant believe it but some **** drove into my car and managed to dent one of my wheels!! Also smashed into my side mirror.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Luckly and really really strangly he has managed not to even put a
scratch on the car! so he has hit the wheel and the mirror. Luckly the
mirror did not break and i managed to snap and click it back into
place. Also i drove it to work and there is no wobble even at 60mph, so
the axel or hub is not damaged and there is not air leak. But i
might have to buy a new wheel which will cost ?370 :(

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
[:O] Unlucky mate, Cant you get that repaired as a lot of the alloy
refurbers can fix buckled alloys these days now and it will work out
cheaper than buying another alloy.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I cant understand how he went in deep enough and low enough to hit the wheel, then come back out to totally avoid the arch and wings, then go back in at a higher point to clip the wingmirror. The wheel is bent outwards too, suggesting its been buckled whilst driving. Are you sure someone hasnt driven your car without your knowledge?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant understand how he went in deep enough and low enough to hit the wheel, then come back out to totally avoid the arch and wings, then go back in at a higher point to clip the wingmirror. The wheel is bent outwards too, suggesting its been buckled whilst driving. Are you sure someone hasnt driven your car without your knowledge?
No chance i was last to drive and park up.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
bleeding heck!!!! i feel for you mate, i really really do. Some people just make my blood boil. No respect at all. Fair do's that accidents happen but cmon leave a note and be honest. How would they like it if someone did similar to their property? Id get the police involved if i was you.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Imran that looks very very suspect and I agree how have they damaged the rear wheel missed the rest of the car then got the wing mirror, that looks more to me like somebody has tried to avoid something mounted a kerb and clip the wing mirror on something.

Imran you dont sleep walk / drive do you ????

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, exactly its jus lack of respect! what can the police do, is there any point?

Walrus, it does look amazingly suspect! i even had to think twice of weather i did it myself! But with the angle it was at, the mirror, and the black markes on the wheels it blantly has been hit!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You sure it wasn't joyparkers??

Break in then try to parallel park??[;)]

Check for signs of make -up having been applied by the perp, are the sunviors down, with mirrors open?? Most of these joyparkers are ladies, and it would also explain the terrible wheel damage they did as part of the criminal act!![;)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
That sucks... bad luck.

How old are those tyres? I'd love another set of GSD1's.. better than 3's IMO..

Scott
Seems they aint listed on the mytyres website any longer either Scott. There is a guy here has a piar on the back of his 1.8t.. i'll nick 'em at lunchtime and stick 'em in the post to ya ! [;)]

·
Registered
829 Posts
Really sorry to see this.
As Mike said - the right thing to do would have been to leave a note... The perp was probably p*ssed.
Idiot with no moral sense.

Allan

·
Registered
337 Posts
Tuff one mate.Its my worse nightmare that..same thing happened to a friend of mine.He lives in a not so wide street and a truck whacked him.Hit n run,how do they sleep at night..Good Luck

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
That makes my blood boil. I recently had some idiot scrape and bend my rear offside arch while I was parked in a street during work (because of some stupid and bizarre unwritten rule that techs aren't allowed to park their own vehicles on the forecourt) and know how you feel.

The wheel looks in a bad way though, I'd get the alightment checked. I wouldn't even think of refurbishing that. You may be able to bend the rim back but there's no telling with the naked eye what internal damage might have occurred to the metal's molecular structure. The bolts must have taken some serious stress there as well.

I can't imagine a car doing that though, do you think it might have been some of those idiots on little scooters/mopeds that sound like hair dryers? I often see those in my area racing each other, doing wheelies and generally acting like complete idiots on the road.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Have you got spacers on your car? If not, the logistics of someone running down the side of your car is impossible.

Basically, theres nothing sticking out at the side of the car apart from wing mirrors, which as we all know, are not down there. To do that they would have had to have caught their bumper on the side of your car, which wouldnt do that. They would have also left dents in your arch and down the car.

I don't know what it was, but it doesnt look like a car has done that. Kid on a skateboard couldnt do it, a chicken chaser couldnt do it as they would have first hit their legs on the car.

Don't know what it was that has done that!

Do feel for you though, I'd hate to find that in the morning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sorry to see that, nasty.

i thought i would add something of use, although it does look like a self inflicted wound i have seen something almost identical that wasnt.

staying at a friends house which was in a dead end terraced street with no turning point at the end and cars parked on both sides i was standing in the street with 2 freinds having just arrived there and nabbed one of the last parallel spots. we watched a ford transit tipper make its way up the street and commented to ourselfs how we wouldnt want to have to reverse that out. morbid curiousity and the fear of our cars made us stay to watch. the driver got almost all the way back out in rerverse bar the last 3 cars which he swiped before reversing round the corner and flee-ing.

yes, we did make a note of the reg, not knowing the owners of the cars we couldnt talk to anyone however we did leave notes on the effected cars with the vans details and ours should the owners need them.

backgound set for you now, so time to describe the van a little. it was the usual ford transit cab, at the rear was a flatbed tipp, at the under it was what could amost be described as a length of scaffold tube on which the lights were bolted onto. damage to the cars were missing wing mirrors and vey low gouges in the doors.

so, maybe a similar vehicle reversed at an angle into your car? with the lower part of the car squeezing the wheel rather than hitting it and the upper part nudging the mirror backwards?

just a thought

although personally, saying that you were getting airtime off of a speed hump may have sounded a bit more impressive [:D]

hope it does dent the wallet too much fella

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
are you sure your not just running the story past us first to see what response you get befor you "try it on" with the insurance,or missus.[:cool:]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts