Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
earlier on about half an hour ago went to take my gf home and was gonna wind the window down to see about wiping the wing mirror to see as its icy but as i did the window didnt move as it was frozen. but then i heard a sound like the window mechanism was still winding up and down.

i was wondering do u thing the clips have now broke as i dont know if they ever been changed anyway of if its just the glass come out of the clips?

the only thing im worried about now is, although i put the mechanism all the way up im hoping it has managed to support the window so when it defrosts a bit the glass wont fall into the door and smash.

also if you t hink its the clips i assume you can get a repair kit from vw? and if so do the normally stock it or have to order it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
tape the glass up to be on the safe side....id never use mine in the ice just incase this hapens.

i think the kits about £35 from what ive read on here they should stock them.

·
Registered
589 Posts
if the glass hasnt fallen into the door then you should be ok but if you want to be 100% sure then take the door card off and see if the clips are broken or not.

VW do a repair kit for £40 and usually have it in stock.

Azz

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agreed, had this on my driver window, could have got a kit from allparts for £30 (plastic clips) or the metal one from vw (£36 trade) they make them metal for a reason.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hopefully if vw have them in stock i might see about getting one saturday and fixing it. wont get a chance befor saturday tho which is annoying as i dont wanna risk driving the car and my window falling into the door and smashing......

are they universal ones or is it one for each side seperate? can you buy just the clips or is it only as a set?

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you remove you door card and pop the 2 rubber bungs out (near top on both sides) and move the window up and down untill you see the clamps you might be able to tighten the clamps up and not worry about the new mech.

Just go to vw and ask for a mk4 golf window repair kit.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
are they universal ones or is it one for each side seperate? can you buy just the clips or is it only as a set?
Left and right handed and different for three or five door,so make sure you get the right one.

Chris.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
checked it today and are the bits that break the bits that u can see straight through the gromets in the door that move up and down holding the glass?

if so mine are metal already so im lucky they been changed and i loosened them a bit reinserted the glass into them and tightened them and checked it about 4 or 5 times to make sure and so far so good.....

now for the passenger side....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thinking about it im not sure now. checking the imagewerx how to guide the metal bits im looking at are normal the plastic bits are wat u cant see so im not sure yet.

already started demoliting my door then realised i dont have the correct bit for the lock bolts so finally got a bit in a set and now its raining so looks like i'll have another go saturday.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
isnt the lock attached to it tho so needs removing all in one go like int he imagewerx guide?
If you read it again it says you can do either.You can knock the two little black pegs out that hold the lock mech bracket to the inner skin so it stays in the door,or you can undo the two M8 XZN bolts and take the lock mech out at the same time.

Chris.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahhh...... i assumed when i read it you have to take it all out. thats great news cause im assuming theyve already done work on the car doors as the driver side had one of the screws along the bottom was missing and on the passenger side the 2 big gromets are missing and the little peg things are no where to be seen...... or are they only on the driver door?

also in both doors i have a seperate black and black/white thin wire running along the cable and soldered to the courtesy light i think its called. the red and white one at the bottom corner of the door. held along the other wires with insulation tape. any idea what these are for? in the guide theyre not on the door so im assuming they were put there by one of the many owners.

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
One door should be an exact mirror image of the other door,so yes both should have those liittle pegs.

The seperate black and wite I can only guess at being for footwell ligfhting that only comees on when youu open the door.

Chris.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i did it today and believe i have sorted the problem as the lights are coming on and there was cracking on the solder points so i decided just to resolder all 6 points.

only problem is intaking the lock module apart i undid some screws i didnt need to and think i might of moved some bits ont he outside and the plastic part (on the inside) the barrel slides into from the key lock bit so now i can lock the doors but the passenger side door doesnt lock but the alarm is set and if the passenger door is opened the alarm goes of.

thinking i might have to buy a whole new door lock module as im not sure exactly wat i would need to change in order to get the locking working again.

does any one know how much it would cost to buy new?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts