Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I ever kicking myself now .... When I brought my MKV, I was offered a choice of 2 from group stock - both identical except one had leather. I decided against the leather as I thought it was an expensive luxury.

Today my car is in VW having some warranty work done ([:mad:] hhmmmm, thats a different story) - and the only loan car they could offer me was a salesman's car - a MKV TDI with leather !

Man, it is soooooo nice - do you think they'll notice if I give it back with no seats or door panels ? [:D]

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was at the dealers yesterday dropping my MK4 of for window regulators,

Whilst waiting i sat in the showroom MK5 with leather and it felt strange, almost gritty like, not smooth like my MK4 leather.

I'd still spec it though if i was getting a MK5.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
its not all bad - my car is in today for some work and they've lent me a Beetle convertible painted in what I think is described as " nancy boy rust "

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Never had a car with leather myself.

Is it hot when you get in during the summer and cold in the winter. If it is then I probably wouldn't spec it.

Does look good though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it hot when you get in during the summer and cold in the winter.
Don't know as I've never had leather before either - however, as the car has the heated seats option and air con, I guess both problems are sorted

Think I might go out for a drive in it now, just to get my ar$e-groove set into the seats before I give it back !

·
Registered
440 Posts
Leather is well worth it. True it's a bit pricy at ?1500 but it is much nicer IMHO. Plus you can argue it's easier to keep clean! [:D] Yes it can be hot/cold in summer and winter but not to the extent it's a problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I specced leather in my BMW, because it was only ?800 on the sport model (which already had part alcantara seats) but mainly because I wanted a lighter colour inside than the any colour you like as long as it is anthracite that the cloth came in! Have to agree that it looks good and is easy to wipe clean if you get any little stains on the seats (!) but it is very hot when your car has been left in sun all day - and the 5 min wait whilst aircon does its stuff can be very long and hot!

Would I spec it again? Probably only on a car where I thought it was a necessity for resale - like a 5 series, or a Merc or Jag. On a Golf? not if it was a cooking model. Maybe on a Gti. Probably a better investment than sat nav for resale, but you aren't going to get your money back come resale!

Ian

·
Registered
440 Posts
Was nearly going to go for Leather myself until I realised it was only
leather in the centre and vinyl on the sides - for ?1645 [:O] - went for the DSG instead.

The cloth seats in the GTI are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in [:D]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
This is the first car leather and its great, I don't find it too bad in hot weather either. If I was to get another Golf GT I would spec leather however if I was to go for a GTi I would go for the cloth

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The only reason that not having leather in mine bothers me is the affect on re-sale and the increase in durability that the leather provides.  With regards to owning, I'm much happier with the cloth, no hot seats in summer and you stay in your seat better through the twists.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Would I spec it again? Probably only on a car where I thought it was a necessity for resale - like a 5 series, or a Merc or Jag. On a Golf? not if it was a cooking model. Maybe on a Gti. Probably a better investment than sat nav for resale, but you aren't going to get your money back come resale!Ian
These are very sensible comments IMHO.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I asumme you could not afford it then? [;)]
Whether or not I can afford it is not really the issue here. I was making a point about value for money.
You obviously did not notice th ewink at the end of the comment. It is clearly different strokes for different folks. I felt the car needed it, you did not. You are right, it was not value for money though, but i would purchase it again.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I did notice the wink, sorry if I did not take your comment as a joke!

Fact was my car was a year old when I got it so there was no option of leather for me anyway. If it was fitted then I would not have complained.

I would be interested to see how much a first class auto upholsterer would charge for a retro fit leather interior on a Golf. I would think about half the cost of the factory option.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would be interested to see how much a first class auto upholsterer would charge for a retro fit leather interior on a Golf. I would think about half the cost of the factory option.
Try M J Interiors - http://www.mjinteriors.co.uk/Prices.htm - from their site, looks like from ?750 for all the seats (but this looks like an old price list as they mention only up to MK3)

Back in the day when I used to go to GTi International and read "The Golf"; all the cars that had had leather retro-fitted had it done by these guys; they seem to have a pretty god reputation

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Never had a car with leather myself.

Is it hot when you get in during the summer and cold in the winter. If it is then I probably wouldn't spec it.

Does look good though.
Neither have I and would not have leather as a gift. It might conceivably look 'good' when new, but have you seen how the majority of the so-called quality leather seats 'puddle' after quite moderate use and then they look dreadful and the shineyness only serves to exaggerate the effect.

It was quite amusing last year when I was looking at a lot of new cars, prior to buying the Golf. Many showroom sales persons kept on referring to other model in their showrooms and extolling the features of them by saying that such and such had leather upholstery as standard to which I gave the reply as above ie. wouldn't have it if you paid me. Still it takes all sorts doesn't it.

In conclusion, I would have thought that leather would affect car sales inasmuch that future buyers might be put off by the presence of leather in a second hand car for the reasons I have given above.

Often you'll find that if people have leather in their cars then invariably they'll have leather seats in their homes??

A sort of fetish thing?

[:)]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts