Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you are like me and would like a couple of the 'toys' that you didn't get when the car was new, have no fear - there are oodles of opportunities at car breakers and my favourite: www.eBay.de

One such project is the fitting of the internal rear view auto-dimming mirror.

I purchased mine from eBay, and received the mirror and a bracket - all for about £20.

The 'usual' arrangement of the mirror is as a combined 'extra' along with the rain sensor for auto-wipers.

This feature, however, is a difficult and expensive retrofit as it entails a special replacement windscreen.

OK, so the mirror in the car as 'standard' has a different type of fixing arrangement to the 'electronic' mirror.

This pic shows the two examples - Std on right in this case.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The 'std' mirror mount is removed from the screen 'fixing' by grasping firmly and rotating 90 degrees.

Studying the electronic mirror, you will find a 6-pin socket located inside a recess on the mounting bracket.

After investigation (thanks to Jimmy: Golf_v5) it turns out that only three wires are used:

Pin 1: White = +12v

Pin 2: Brown = -12v

Pin 3: Grey = Reversing light switch +12v

The big deal is how to get the wires from the 'car' to the mirror.

In the 'factory' setup, the rain sensor and the mirror bracket are fitted with a 2-piece plastic shroud and a conduit comes down from the roof headlining to this assembly.

I resigned myself to having to ditch the electronic mirror's bracket as it simply wouldn't fit the std screen mounting.

3.jpg

After laying both assemblies out, it can be seen that the two mirror brackets are similar in shape, size and have the same size ball fixing.

OK, so how can the wiring get through this solid aluminium casting??

Simple - by drilling a hole!!!

Coming at it from the ball end, i used a pilot drill and then a 5mm drill to get a 4cm long hole from there into the hollow internals of the bracket.

I then came at it from the inside to make a hole facing upwards, in order to 'ease' the wiring channel angle.

You can see from the blue light shining through, just where the hole is.

I had to run the hole off to the left of centre, as the casting internals has a 'web' bang in the way.

5.jpg

4.jpg

The next step is to use a light grey plastic tube to act as the conduit as in the original install.

Another hole will be required in the mirror bracket, to allow the conduit to fit in.

MORE TO COME...............

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very nice foxy. For 20 quid it might be a nice mod to undertake. Will just have to see how often i would use it first though. Keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just added 2x red leds like the door handle mod, to shine more red light down onto the dash area, as per the W8 passat mirror.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
OK folks, here's the finished article:

6.jpg

The new custom loom threaded into the wireway made by drilling thru the bracket.

7.jpg

I drilled another, entry hole for the loom in the top of the body, facing 'up' when the bracket is on the screen.

The wiring conduit is made from a grey plastic tube.

8.jpg

The loom, fitted and with it's custom plug (PC audio cable for CD rom)

9.jpg

The mirror receives illumination like the W8 light.

2x Red HP piranha LEDs with 5.6k resistors per LED

10.jpg

Another view, pre-completion.

11.jpg

The completed item, with the female part of the custom loom too, all ready to fit.

The connections will be :

**ignition switched +12V (to supply power to the mirror control circuit)

**illumination +12V (wired locally from the interior courtesy light)

**-12V (ground)

Can't power the mirror from a 'constant' supply as it drags about 100mA, thus deadening the car battery over perhaps a week if not running daily.

12.jpg

Another view - the very subtle illumination LEDs - same type as fitted to the door handles.

And that's how to fit an auto-dimming mirror to your standard mirror bracket.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original mounting bracket has been utilised (this is the point of the excercise)

This bracket fits back on the screen by a kind of 'bayonet' fitting.

You offer the bracket up to the screen connector and then turn it 90 degrees.

That's all you need to do!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Golf mirrors are grey/beige? I have a grey interior but my rear view mirror is black

Again you amaze with your technical proficiency...

·
Registered
27 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Mikedav

Golf mirrors are grey/beige? I have a grey interior but my rear view mirror is black
The colour of the rear view mirror is another one of those ongoing changes that VW seems to make. If you have a look at any Golf or Bora up to T or V reg, it will probably have a black mirror, and any newer car will have a grey or beige version (other than anniversary Golfs which have a black mirror to match the headlining).

These Germans don't like to keep things simple, do they?

·
Registered
13 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Foxy

The original mounting bracket has been utilised (this is the point of the excercise)

This bracket fits back on the screen by a kind of 'bayonet' fitting.

You offer the bracket up to the screen connector and then turn it 90 degrees.

That's all you need to do!
Hi Foxy,

My current auto-dimming mirror (came stock with the car) is failing, so I reckon I need a replacement very soon.

Few questions I need your help.

1. From your picture, is that the new mirror that has 2 illuminating led bulbs, or did you customise it yourself?

2. If it's the new mirror, how did you tap the power to the led so that they illuminates when the euro-switch is turned on?

3. given that my mirriro is autodimming, does it mean that I can reuse existing mounting bracket that's attached on the windscreen currently?

4. How do I take out the stock mirror (from the bracket), and put back the new one.

Pictures and instructions will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too have a auto dimming mirror on my T reg bora which is grey coloured with dark grey interior - you should be able to re-use your existing mounting bracket (if you can get the mirror seperatly). may be worth trying to test your dimming switch which is under the mirror glass ( i think its a light dependant resistor (LDR) )try a meter on it in a darkish room and again with a light on it as you can buy these from a electronics shop for about a quid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
P.S FOXY CAN YOU HELP - ive got the auto dimming mirror but the mounting bracket also goes onto the glass, is this the auto wiper??

cant see any extra bits on the wiper arm except the slider on the top which just seems to control the wiper speed in its first setting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought about this one myself, but a couple of questions - 1) does it work, ie. if a motorbike comes up behind will it keep adjusting? 2) Are the wires not already there?

Also if your screen is cracked or chipped, when the insurance change it get a dimming mirror screen and just dont use the rain sensing bit!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For the OEM dimming mirror, you could fit it like i did - using the original non-dimming mirror mounting bracket, but there is a little problem in that the socket is slightly larger on the dimming mirror.

If you want to us the proper VW bracket for the dimming mirror, it has the auto-wiper sensor gubbins built in and it need to mount onto a special windscreen to properly function.

In the end, i sold the mirror and got a pukka Gentex one from the US - not cheap at ?400 but second hand they are more reasonable - plus mine has a digital compass and thermometer readout built in.

To mount the Gentex i had to very carefully remove the original button which is bonded to the screen.

Once off, i mounted the new 'shoe' using special glass glue and hey-presto! all done.

The electrical wiring comprises only of a switched + and a negative.

The Gentex mirror is far better at regulating the dimming feature and has green tint which works better at enabling you to see the vehicles whilst eliminating glare.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts