Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I need someone who has good knowledge of our wiring diagrams. I've been making simplified versions of some mods I'll be doing to make it easier to follow when i'm donig the installation.

The problem I have is when it says things like:

Connection (56a) in dash panel wiring harness

Where the hell is 56a, 58a, 58b, etc etc??????

Is there anywhere that says where all these points are because I know if i go to my local dealer they'll not even know what a wiring diagram looks like - useless twats - they'd be too busy asking me why i want to know. So, anyway, if anyone can answer the question for me i'd be very greatful.

Thanks

Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True - but i'm not sure it'll even make much difference as it still says the same thing.

Here's one for you anyway.

Connection (58a), in dash panel wiring harness. Coming from connector T12a/4 in the climatronic harness.

Baz

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Hello

I need someone who has good knowledge of our wiring diagrams. I've been making simplified versions of some mods I'll be doing to make it easier to follow when i'm donig the installation.

The problem I have is when it says things like:

Connection (56a) in dash panel wiring harness

Where the hell is 56a, 58a, 58b, etc etc??????

Is there anywhere that says where all these points are because I know if i go to my local dealer they'll not even know what a wiring diagram looks like - useless twats - they'd be too busy asking me why i want to know. So, anyway, if anyone can answer the question for me i'd be very greatful.

Thanks

Baz
An introduction to VAG wiring diagrams....

15 Switched battery positive live (B+) from ignition switch.

30 Battery live (B+) live all the time

31 Ground

50 Starter control (to motor)

56 Switched headlight (B+) from light switch

58 Switched parking light / tail / interior (B+) from light switch.

You will see references to these supplies in lots of diagrams and they mainly indicate the type of supply to a component but NOT it's location.

As for T12/6 for example, would indicate pin 6 in a 12 way connector. There are more than one of each type of connector so you'll get T12a T12b T12c T16 T16a T16b etc etc.

As above, if you've got a particular problem post it up, usually you will be given the type and location of a connecting terminal if your using proper diagrams.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought it was pretty obvious what i was doing by the last diagram but here's a picture anyway. I'm not sure the T12a/4 goes to anything or at least anything important but i wanted to check just to make sure. I'm guessing that it's probably like a lot of the other wires and is bunched in the middle of the harness with the same coloured wires and a main one is routed back to the fuse box (Fuse 3 maybe?) but if it doesn't have to be connected then i'm not too worried about it.

Thanks

Baz

Posted Image

·
Registered
201 Posts
You're either:

(a) adding Climatronic

(b) constructing some sort of temparature controlled time travel device

(c) repairing the damage caused by a crazed VW technican and a hedge trimmer?

Anyone want to ask the audience?

ps: gr/bl = grey /blue = illumination?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok keep the time machine quiet but for the sake of arguement we'll go with the climatronic option.

Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea the colours don't actually match up is the problem. The wire on the actual system i have sitting here is slightly different in that the wire is just grey. I've checked in a few different version of the climatronic wiring and they all seem to say the same thing.

This is a pic of the headunit without the T12a/4 connected to anything so it isn't the actual illumination.

Posted Image

Cheers

Baz

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hmm... I see what you mean... looks pretty illuminated to me!

Found another couple of references to teh 58a connector in the basic golf wiring diagram so it must be one of the connectors that connect the dashboard loom up to the goodies in teh dash.

Without searching evey one of the diagrams by hand, I'm a bit stumped I'm afraid.

Does your Climatronic work without the wire connected? In which case, can't be too important!

Did you really put it all in yourself - very, very impressed. Dedication and then some!

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The climatronic is in the corner of a bedroom at the minute. I'm waiting on new seats to arrive and then i'll be wiring everything thing in at once. I just wired the climatronic up to make sure it was all functional. Just need to get the seats and about 2 days free time to take the dash out to fit everything.

Baz

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Right then...

T12a/4, can't see where it goes, just comes from T16b/7 on the clima unit. Having looked though, it would appear that most of the T12a cables go off to the fan control module. Could be something to do with a 4mo / V6 that has an auxillary electric coolant pump ??? ... and therefore may not be needed on other cars ???

A58 from what I can gather from the problems I had with my clima a while back is a 5v reference voltage that the clima uses for the measurement of the flap angles.

Also before you install it, I'd run a K line to the set up, even if you have it sitting on the back seat to make sure that everything is working and more importantly that you don't have any codes.

....Also when hooked up with a K line, checked all the flap angle movements in the measuring blocks with vagcom and make double sure the V71 motor is working properly as this one fails A LOT. I had to swap mine over insitu and it's a piggy to do.

.....And fair play to you Sir for having a go at this. If there is anything you are stuck on and maybe want some thoughts on, not that i'll be much help as it would appear you are about to become the forums clima expert, please post it up. I have a fair bit of experience on fixing my factory fitted clima system so may be able to help. I will have a better look at the T12a/4 thing later. What wiring diagrams are you using btw ?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need to get a VAG-Com yet because i have the T16 wired up but haven't plugged it in yet. The fan control module is all spoken for so don't worry about it. It's fully wired. What version of Vagcom do i need or can i get away with because i still think the offical wires are overpriced.

I also have another full system for spares and if i don't need it i'll probably sell it, but at the minute spare parts aren't a problem.

I'll be putting a write up online at some stage but not for a while. The climatronic isn't that difficult but is very involving and easy to get them mixed up because there are 2 or 3 different versions of it. Mine is a diesel and I've wired it up to match that but it still shows this 58a point on the diagram so when i'm installing it I'd like to have it connected to keep everything correct.

I have a load of wiring diagrams i downloaded from some wierd site but i think they're out of a bentley manual and someone had them online in pdfs. I have them all in a folder.

Cheers

Baz

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I also have a Bentley and have used the diagrams out of that.

Problem is in the US, only the V6 got clima (i think) which kind of may explain the T12a/4 problem or lack of anywhere for it to connect to on a non V6 engine. The V6 has another electric coolant pump. It may not be an issue on our cars.

The only reference to a T12a/4 I've found is for heated mirrors ! There must be an error in the manual, see diagram 27/8

The A58 as explained above, is I think a 5 volt reference voltage supply that the clima unit uses to measure the flap angles. The 5v supply is generated by the cluster.... This is all hyperthetical as knowone knew the answer when I had problems.

As for the Vagcom cables, it's not the cable your paying for, it's the software, and it's worth every penny. Just think how lucky we are to have a company like Rosstech to support us this way, we in turn should support them by not ripping them off buying dodgy ebay leads. Even if you get the all singing and dancing lead hex can lead, it'll have paid for itself by the time you take it to the dealers a few times for diagnostics.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The US never got a V6 engine at all. They have the MK4 VR6 in both 12 and 24 valve, but it means nothing when it comes to interior trim.

The climatronic over there is just the same as here. Pot luck with the dealers but if you ask for it you can have it like an optional extra.

As for the T12/4. It says connection 58a for the diesel so i'm going to have to go to the dealers to find out.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Baz

·
Registered
153 Posts
Illumination dimmer perhaps?

From reading above and looking at Skoda diagrams I have I would say that if 58 is illumination then I would say thats where is goes.

Have you got the rest of the diagrams to have a look at 58 and perhaps see what 58a is?

Skoda has a similar symbol which is is described as -

Designation for connection in wiring loom, you can find information in the legend regarding the wiring loom in which this non-detachable connection is located.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This diagram may shed some light on the situation. [:)]

Posted Image

·
Registered
153 Posts
the number 183 will refer to another diagram, if you look along the bottom of the diagrams they all have numbers and what's at position 183 is what will be the other end of that cable.

Looks like a common 5A fused power supply though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts