Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All,

Basically i want to wire one of these in to my passenger door

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220726913825&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just wondering if anyone knows where to wire it in and if its possible to
be wired in such a way that when the drivers side blinks this new wont
and thne when that one (passenger oem led cap) blinks this one doesnt so
basically they are blinking in tandem

Also where do i wire this in please

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190491585724&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I basically need it in ultimate dummies guides if possible mate?

·
Tim Sr
13,503 Posts
For the door blinker, you would need to run a pair of wires from the drivers door led to the passenger side.

As for the tandem blinking, i would imagine you could do it with a 555 timer or something similar, although Imagewerx/Chris could shed more light on that.

As for the Clifford thing, no idea. If its a clifford alarm you are fitting to match, then you would probably find there is an output for it. Else you could wire it into the existing LED to blink, else, something with a relay from the safe-signal from the cars current immo, and a 12v permanant line. This would mean the light would come on when the alarm/immo is armed, but off the rest of the time.

One thing though, if you fit that to the glass, wouldn't it limit the windows from moving?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate,

Theres a way of wiring it into the A piller on the passenger side and then earthing onto the doors earth pin, from this thread...

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/31367.aspx?PageIndex=2

I need to know if i just take live from led and sticker and tap into the '' Pin 4 - blue/red 0.35mm. This is the magic wire.''

and for earthing.......

''For the new earth in passenger I tapped into the existing earth point inside the passenger door harness.

Wire is brown/blue and the earthpoint is approximately 9 cm from the T12a plug that goes into the door mirror housing.''

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Not sure I understand what you want from the two LEDs,when you say tandem do you mean one off and the other one on?
Tim's idea is about the easiest to do instead of trying to rewire what's already there,a 555 circuit with a couple of transistors or even an old fashioned multivibrator circuit would work using just 8 components.

Clifford sticker I don't know as I've never had to fit one,but I'd guess power and earth and a neg. armed out to switch it on.

Chris.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thats gone way over my head just to keep it simple then as i dont want to strip the drivers door and have one mighty long wire from drivers to passengers...

from the above post blackmajic states that you can tap the +ve feed from the new LED into the thin red wire to PIN 4 (Thin blue and Red wire next to the thick brown
wire) on the plug that is located at the bottom of the A pillar

And earth at any point so if i took the +ve feed from the sticker and tapped into it aswell this should be ok?

Then find a suitable earthing point (probably were the Door LED will be earthed too)

it wont affect the window movement as ill stick it on the front windscreen near the tax disc

That way when u arm the car the sticker and the led will flash together and when u disarm they will stop flashing i.e like the drivers LED.

Is this correct

heres a pic

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb207/blackmagic20vt/GOLF%20MODS/LEDMOD003.jpg

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the sticker wont work it needs 12v the led are very low voltage gutted

Chris i see what your saying but fromt he obove thread ...

For those still intersted in this mod I did a bit of testing today
and found out that as I suspected if connect the earth of the passenger
LED to any earth in the car and then run a wire to PIN 4 (Thin blue and
Red wire next to the thick brown wire) on the plug that is located at
the bottom of the A pillar on the passenger side LED when the alarm is
armed blinks with the drivers side I have included a pic to give you an
idea of the plug and where it is. I am going to try and follow the wire
to see if I actually need to run it up to the plug or if there is
something closer to the door or even in the control module in the door.
Failing that I can just connect it to that pin on the A pillar rather
than running all the way to the other LED in the drivers door.

Pictures dont seem to be displaying properly so here is a direct link to them:-

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb207/blackmagic20vt/GOLF%20MODS/LEDMOD001.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb207/blackmagic20vt/GOLF%20MODS/LEDMOD003.jpg

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
There's no way those wires will have it flashing exactly in sync with the drivers door LED as they only go to the front interior light.The flash is generated by just the module in the drivers door,and I remember reading years ago that right hand drive cars aren't programmed for the left hand door module to generate the flash,hence it is only available in the drivers door.

Chris.

I can only guess that the blue/red wire is maybe an armed signal to the rear roof mounted ultrasonic sensors.If tis is the case then yes it can be used to switch LEDs on,but you'd have to be careful as it can only supply a small amount of current that could damage the CCM if you ask too much of it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK mate drivers door it is... any idea where i can get a long enough wire to route all the way through am not too up on electrics as you can tell by these posts so if you or anyone can specify the correct wires then that would be great. and the female plug to connect the ready made loom into please

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Any thin twin core speaker wire will do,or even B&Q bell wire.Speaker wire is better though as it will have more strands and so will be more flexible.

Easiest way to wire it will be to go straight to the original one,should be brown/blue and white/lilac according to the daigram I have here.I can't guarantee it'll run the Clifford sticker,but definately the other LED without any problems.

Chris.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so get two wires wrap them round each other feed all the way along from passenger side behind glovebox under dash and splice one in to brown/blue and one into white lilac and thats its done?

do u have the part number for the plug on the end of that wire so that i can disconnect it easily like on the drivers door pin loom?

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
That will all work just fine,but when you have the drivers door card off try connecting the new LED across the old one to make sure it works ok before you run any wires.There's no reason it shouldn't but it could save you a lot of messing about if you connect it up in the other door and it doesn't work.

I doubt if there'll be a part number for just that plug as it's part of the loom,you'd need to visit a breakers yard and cut one out of a drivers door.

Chris.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok brilliant thanks for everything

i know the cliffords sticker requires a 12v supply the seller stated that you cant tap into the led door pin as the voltage is too low so i think thats gonna be a tricky one to do as i will need something that gives 12v while the alarm is armed only otherwise it will be flashing away 24/7

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you cudnt make my life easier and post a link of the correct wire preferably in the correct colours or atleast one red one black so its obvious cheers

nad

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok chris,

Heard back from the seller he says you can do exactly what you wrote up there he also said that its might be easier to wire it in to the stereo if you have a aftermarket one which only turns on and off whilst the key is in the barrel or the heaters,

In any case is there any chance you coudl pm me the diagram you were saying,

thanks

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
whats the partnumber for the male two pin plug that you connect into the led ebay loom its a bit confusing on the how to guide cheers

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
1J0 973 332 is a female plug housing that has male pins inside it. This is the plug coming from the main loom in the door harness.

This is the plug you need in your passenger door harness.

When you buy a new LED from VW it already comes with a harness and a male plug attached. The male plug from the LED plugs into the door harness female plug.

I don't know if the ebay LED has a standard VW plug or not - the part number will be on the plug somewhere when you get it.

If it is the factory plug then the part number should be 1J0 973 119.

This will then match up to the 1J0 973 332 plug you have to buy.

[:)]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts