Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first, sorry if these are abit dump questions as im not an ICE expert yet.

First, usually when you wire amp, you run the power cable down one side and the phono's down the side of the car. But if you want to amp all 6 speakers in your car, then you will have speaker cables and the power cable down the same side. WIll this cause any interference or is there a better way to do it?

cheers

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also in an ideal world the rms of the speaker and amp should be the same. But will anything blow if the rms power of the speaker or amp is higher that the other?

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Running speaker and power cable next to each other won't be a problem,the noise can get in through the RCAs because they carry a signal that needs to be amplified thousands of times,therefore any noise will also be amplified as well.The level of signal down speaker wires is also many thousands of times greater than that of the noise,so run your speaker wires where ever you wish!

You can do more damage to a speaker by UNDERPOWERING it than you can by putting too much power into it.It is the dirty,distorted sound a small amp being driven into clipping that does the most damage the quickest.Any good speaker should be able to safely handle a certain amount past it's rated power for short periods providing it's fed with CLEAN undistorted power.You're better off using a large amp with the gain turned down than you are using a small amp with the gain turned up.The large amp will sound "cleaner",and will always have something in reserve,but the small amp will always have to work a lot harder because it's nearly always being run flat out,and will probably run a lot hotter and could draw more current.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
The amp doesn't HAVE to have a higher output than the speakers can handle,it's just nice to have it if you can afford it.If you don't play your music loud enough for it to distort,there shouldn't be a problem.A genuine 60 watts RMS amp should be more than enough,just be wary of e-bay and car boot sale specials that claim to be 2 x 2000 watts,yet only have a 10 amp fuse in them.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hi all

just to add one important thing when laying the cables.

You must seperate the power and sound cables to remove any chance of whisle or bad sound.
I had my sound system fitted by the number one specilist in Germany who has done this for over 30 years and designed the sound system for the Mercedes Maybach.
If you want i can do some photos of the looms that he made for my car and how it was instaled if it helps?
Kenwood DDX 7025 double din
Kenwood Navi
Kenwood i-pod adaptor
black and white?s chinch cables
Audison 3-way amp
Eutopia BE?S in the front doors (probably the best you can buy)
standard rear speakers (not worth changing)

Andy

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, what will happen if the rms power of the amp is alot higher than speaker? bear in mind that i hardly will have the power on full blast.

last question, i can get a blaupunkt 4 channel amp that is 4x60 and infinity components which are 85w rms. Is this a good combination?

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
As I said,it's better to use an amp with a higher rating than the speakers,but with the gain turned down.What you don't want is distortion coming from anywhere if you don't want to cook your speakers.

It's almost impossible to compare power ratings from different manufacturers as they all seem to invent their way of measuring them.One companies 50 watt speakers or amp can sound louder than another companies 100 watt speakers or amp,they just use big wattage figures to try to sell more gear.I don't like the current Infinity components that Halfrauds are selling for about ?100,I guess the only way to decide is to sit in another Mk.4 that's got some components fitted,and if you like the sound of them,there's your answer!

What is the model number of the Blaupunkt amp?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive got hold of a set of infinity 6500cs components for only ?30. Thats brand new. I will try and get hold of another set for the rear deck. I think these are 85w RMS.

So can anyone reccomend me an amp? I think i need a 6 channel amp as i want to amp all the speakers.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hi again
i dont see the point of amping the rear speakers as the main sound should come from the front 4 as they should be set up for the driver and not the pasangers

a good set drums you can get from HERTZ that with a audison amp will make the doors boom
the mk4 was rated the best acustic car on the road dut to it?s shape and the fact of having the steel plates in the doors causing them to act as an amp.
but that is only my opinion mate

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Not sure about that amp mate
i had some JBL in before and was not impresed so i slung it
it always sounds good in the shop but got it in the car and sounded like one of those mobile toilets

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy anything with JBL written it designed for in car use,you are getting a very poorly made product compared to what you used to get some years ago from the company who make some of the worlds best PA speakers.

When you say you have six speakers in your car,I take it you have two way components in the front,and probably just dual cones in the back? If this is the case,they are treated as just four speakers,each front door set (two speakers)being run off one channel,and so you only need a four channel amp if you don't have a sub.

As the dent guy said,I'd never have rear speakers in my car as well,but if you're not having a sub in your car,you won't get much volume from just front speakers,the extra cone area of another pair of speakers will give you that much more bass.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Hi again

the mk4 was rated the best acustic car on the road dut to it?s shape and the fact of having the steel plates in the doors causing them to act as an amp.
but that is only my opinion mate
I agree that Mk.4 Golf doors are some of the best sealed ones available because of the inner metal skin,but how do they act as an amp?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hi
well it acts as an amp in the way a sub box works as it has such a good seal on it and creates a good resistance on the speaker cone hence the biger bang[:p]

the rear speakers in my car are a set i got from a dealer a few years ago from CARMONY
thinking they wer the dogs nuts at around 100 quid and are much better than the normal factory junk

I had the spear wheel ditched and a solid MDF faulse floor fitted with the amp and sub in the floor as i always have a boot full of tools
and that audison amp i have just beats through the tools LOL
and sounds awsome i will make some pics hold on

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
And here is the 12" subwoofer from HERTZ in the floor with all my tools on top LOL
A mess tooooo[:p]
but you get the idea i hope

1 - 19 of 19 Posts