Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my home wireless network setup here courtesy of BT,with their wirelss router thingummy (that Windows "Connected at 8.1 MBPS looks nice),but just how secure is my "secure" wireless connection? I have to use my wireless key code to log on to it,so I'm assuming my neighbours can't use my connection without this,but can someone "grab" this code when my laptop logs on to my wireless network,and then use it? And do they have access to the pages I'm viewing,and in particular can they intercept such stuff as credit card numbers?

Chris.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just got my home wireless network setup here courtesy of BT,with their wirelss router thingummy (that Windows "Connected at 8.1 MBPS looks nice),but just how secure is my "secure" wireless connection? I have to use my wireless key code to log on to it,so I'm assuming my neighbours can't use my connection without this,but can someone "grab" this code when my laptop logs on to my wireless network,and then use it? And do they have access to the pages I'm viewing,and in particular can they intercept such stuff as credit card numbers?

Chris.
What format is your key, is it a WPA or WEP key, is it a collection of numbers and digits or more like a word?

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it's a WEP key with numbers and letters,and I have the option to use USB or an Ethernet cable to connect between the router and my PC,what's the difference if any?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Just sacked all my wireless and now back on good old Cat5! Network engineer for 11+ years... honest opinion on wireless!! ...... cack! sick of dropping connections.. speeds chugging down to 1mbps an big downloads even after changing frequency's many times... WEP not letting my PC connect... and people in my street doing their upmost to hack it!

This was with Netgear, Linksys and genuime Cisco kit to! and in the long run it will save microwaving my head 24-7!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wep is easy to crack if people are really intrested, i dont use wireless as i cant stand it, i always use cat6 in my house.

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it is easy for someone to intercept my internet traffic then?What is all this cat.5 and cat.6 stuff about then?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
So it is easy for someone to intercept my internet traffic then?What is all this cat.5 and cat.6 stuff about then?
Its the cable used for wired LAN.

I have my wireless setup encrypted by WPA-PSK (AES), MAC address filtering and SSID not broadcasted.
Is there anything else you can really do for a small domesic network?

There's a couple of unsecured networks within reach of my house which I can jump on a use for web access. Not entirely sure how you could go about seeing information on their computers though as you would have to be park of the network with sharing enabled wouldn't you?

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But what about when I view a page,can that not be intercepted when the router sends it to my laptop,or is it actually encrypted when it does that? Or more importantly if data goes from my laptop to the router,is that encrypted in any way,such as credit card numbers or passwords?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
In all honesty you should be fine... If you have wep etc should be covered from oppatunist hackers etc etc

If your that bothered, use a cat5 (normal ethernet connection) to connect to the router

·
Registered
377 Posts
Its the cable used for wired LAN.

I have my wireless setup encrypted by WPA-PSK (AES), MAC address filtering and SSID not broadcasted.
Is there anything else you can really do for a small domesic network?

There's a couple of unsecured networks within reach of my house which I can jump on a use for web access. Not entirely sure how you could go about seeing information on their computers though as you would have to be park of the network with sharing enabled wouldn't you?
The WPA-PSK is the best bit m8, the MAC filtering is ok but
this is soooo simple to bypass you would not believe, if you think about it
logically, how do you think the router knows what MAC address you are currently
on, well the wifi card will send it?s current MAC address before any request,
all you do is use a packet capture software to decode the MAC address and spoof
your current MAC address to yours, one security measure bypassed.

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>SSID hiding is nothing more than a nuisance and to be honest
is more of a pain to configure, I would just stick to a good quality WPA-PSK or
WPA2-PSK for security the rest is a small help but really not worth the time to
implement

<o:p></o:p>

If you can even with a WPA key use something like
[YQ(?h*2WY~'=:-js4u,<%)m3y"UyZx%h1DKF(VLrOp%iE&JZhWSlRCY+![9t(d as
a key as it will be almost unbreakable

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yes the security can be broken - but why would anybody try? Are you running a bank from home etc. TBH WEP with MAC address filtering will be more than enough for anyone with a home network. If someone wants to hijack my wireless that much to go to that sort of effort then there is not a lot I can do about it, I don't care either, there is not a lot they can do to hurt me. Scare stories about people being able to access your data must put of a lot of people of going wireless, when the benefits far outweigh the risks. Obviously for a Business these rules do not apply.

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so far guys,so unless I'm planning to take over the world from the comfort of my back garden,I'm about as safe as I need to be.
But can anyone explain to me the difference between using a USB or Ethernet cable between my router and PC please?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ethernet is the standard for network connection.. it uses a dedicated piece of hardware (network card) to do all the communications

With the USB cable... it takes up more system resources as the PC Processor has to decode all of the information passed down the cable

You will also need the driver CD for the router to connect via USB...

End of the day.. there wont be that much difference, if you have a fast ish PC but I always use Ethernet cable for things like this, As its more reliable and slightly faster

Chris

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
WEP is pretty crap. but you're average jo can't break it!

If someone wants your files or to share your internet connection badly enough - they'll get it whatever you're using.

But the level of security is proportional to your computing experience really. increased security is great, but you really need to know what you're doing to be able to manage/maintain it etc.

You could try (if you know how...)

• Hide your SSID; this will keep out most the riff raff.
  • Use MAC address control; every wireless card has a different mac address, if you turn this on, only the mac addresses from your hardware will be allowed to logon.
  • Upgrade to WPA - TKIP; but not all wireless cards support it yet and you'll have to download new drivers and firmware and all sorts of cr_p.
  • Upgrade to WPA2 AES, but even less devices support it.

If you need more security than that - buy a 30m ethernet cable and plug the bast_rd in! [;)] lol

·
Super Moderator
50,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so far everyone,I've not been able to try out the Ethernet stuff as my posh new BT wireless router has gone AWOL after only four days,so back on my trusty old Alcatel Speedtouch modem now.

Chris.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes the security can be broken - but why would anybody try? Are you running a bank from home etc. ...
I was chatting a mate who works for one of the banks out here and he'd taken his laptop to work and connected to the wireless network without having to supply a pin. He had access to ALL of the information on the server - customer accounts etc! The IT department didn't know anything about it until he pointed out a rather large security flaw in their system

1 - 18 of 18 Posts