Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Could anyone tell me how i go about getting this?

How it works and also can you have wireless broadband

Cheers,

Tarty

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Depends what you have already, does it have wireless inbuilt? (easy way to check is Start/Control Panel/Network Connections and see if there is a wireless one in the LAN/high speed internet bit)

Wireless broadband is available, if you already have B/B then some ISP's will let you upgrade to a new router with wireless capability for a fixed price, or you can get kits online.

Let me know what you have in terms of computer and connection and I'll come up with something.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Most notebooks have built in Wireless LAN, and have done for a couple of years.

Hopefully your notebook has this so all you will need is a wireless router. I have the Dlink DI-824VUP Broadband Router, which is behind my downstairs door. (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=172379). All of my technical team told me this was one of the more secure units on the market and Ive been really happy with it so far.

I have my main PC upstairs in my study but can sit in the garden on my notebook and work. When friends of collegues come over, they can log onto my wireless network (after I have typed my wep key in for them to connect).

Most of the ISPs will rip you off for the router/modem - some actually try and charge you twice. The nice thing with this is it just plugs straight in.

If you dont have Wireless "built in" to your notebook already, then buy the USB Bundled version like this - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=162831 which I also have as my back up.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I've also got a Dlink wireless router and I rate it, nice bit of kit. It's also a doddle to set up.

I personally wouldn't go for a USB wireless card though...

J.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've also got a Dlink wireless router and I rate it, nice bit of kit. It's also a doddle to set up.
I wouldn;t say that !

Mine lets my work laptop connect to the network but it won't get internet.

Apparently something about proxy settings, which I know nothing about so given up.

·
Registered
674 Posts
lol....so because you dont know anything about proxy settings your blaming your "tools"!!!

Get one of your work I.T guys to set a second wireless connection with out proxy settings. Your first connection is probably for your works server so more then likey has a proxy for the internet. Your connection to the web at home, doesnt...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Can't comment on that particular router, but personally I'd stick with the likes of Belkin, Linksys or D-Link. Have a look here for a list of places to look for prices. I'd also add www.amazon.co.uk to that list as I've just got a Netgear MIMO USB adapter for ?26 inc free delivery which is a tad cheaper than Ebuyer's offering of ?47 + delivery!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I wouldn;t say that !
Mine lets my work laptop connect to the network but it won't get internet.
Apparently something about proxy settings, which I know nothing about so given up.
You have a PM.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT go anywhere near Belkin.

I've had a play with one, and it was rubbish and didn't work reliably, and everyone I've ever spoken to that had problems has had BIG problems, and the support's been useless. And there are a lot of people I know that have had problems with them.

Most others are fine, and I run D-Link. If you've not got "built-in" wireless in your laptop, I'd avoid a USB key (some people love, some people hate) and if you can afford one, get a "PCMCIA" card, which should slot nicely into a hole on the side of the lappy [:)]

As J says - Dlink are a doddle to set up and run, whether you're a pro or new to the wireless world [:)]

C

·
Registered
643 Posts
DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT go anywhere near Belkin.

I've had a play with one, and it was rubbish and didn't work reliably, and everyone I've ever spoken to that had problems has had BIG problems, and the support's been useless. And there are a lot of people I know that have had problems with them.

Most others are fine, and I run D-Link. If you've not got "built-in" wireless in your laptop, I'd avoid a USB key (some people love, some people hate) and if you can afford one, get a "PCMCIA" card, which should slot nicely into a hole on the side of the lappy [:)]

As J says - Dlink are a doddle to set up and run, whether you're a pro or new to the wireless world [:)]

C
hmm - never had any problems with Belkin at all. Next door neighbours PSU went on his router and they sent out 2 replacements PSUs next day, no questions asked.

I agree on the USB key though - especially on a laptop - I've broken 2 of them - learnt my lesson and bought a PCMCIA card (and yes it is a Belkin) and never looked back. Parents have a D-link router - nice bit of kit - you can't go wrong [:)]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right ive got the D-link router yesterday and set it up,just woundering what you guys use for Broadband servers?

Cheers,

Tarty

·
Registered
643 Posts
Do you mean Broadband ISP? If so, I'm with Pipex - not the cheapest and if you ever need to ring them you will probably wish you hadn't, but the connection has been 99% reliable and I've been happy with them since I got broadband a good few years ago.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Been with Pipex for over 5 years, and I agree, 99.99% online all that time.

After hearing horror stories with other ISP's from good friends (and mostly people in the computer market who should know better) I would not look anywhere else even if some are much much cheaper.

Never had a problem with customer services, always helpfull and knowledgable. Now if you have ever had the nightmare of trying to talk to BT Openworld you would understand how much easier Pipex actually is. (We have BT Openworld at work and we were down for 6 weeks with BT telling us it was our equipment even though we actually sell it. After a legal letter and pulling a few strings with friends who work for them, they finally found a dodgy connection in a local junction box!!!!! did we get any compensation - No!!!)

·
Registered
437 Posts
lol....so because you dont know anything about proxy settings your blaming your "tools"!!!

Get one of your work I.T guys to set a second wireless connection
with out proxy settings. Your first connection is probably for
your works server so more then likey has a proxy for the
internet. Your connection to the web at home, doesnt...
Absolutley ! My point being that its not as easy to set up as was made out (for me anyway).
As for the IT support in my company, they just gave me administrator rights because they couldn't
install some MS Access add ins for me. I dread to think what might
happen if I asked them to sort this out !

MarriedBlond kindly pm'd me a solution which I need to try out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry imcompletly lost[:$]

Ive set up the D-link thingy and the laptops can pick it up.

But when i click on internet explore it want so any pages.

Do i just get one of thoese AOL Disk's?

Cheers,

Tarty

·
Registered
674 Posts
tarty, do you already have an internet service provider (ISP) at your house?

If you do - you will need to follow the instructions and type in the needed addresses for your ISP's server (would have given you all this when you first signed with them)....

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Tarty,

Pipex is nice and easy to set up, you'll need your username and password which will have been sent out with you when you first signed up.

You'll need to enter these details into the router via the web interface - if you have not configured your wireless router at all you will need to plug a cable into the router and your laptop.

In your internet browser check the connection settings (tools->internet options-> connections-> lan settings) to make sure you do not have a proxy server set and enter the address of the router into the address bar. 192.168.0.1 is the default.

In here you can configure it. If you;d like a detailed how to drop me a line and I'll look up the manual and give you a how to as I don;t have access to my router at the mo as I am away.

You will also want to tie down the security on it to make sure others can;t access your network and use your broadband for free and slowing down your connection! PErsonally I set up passwords and only allow certain lan cards to connect, they all have a unique mac address and you can set it up so it only connects to specified MAc addresses.

Any way let me know, they are pretty straight forward to do when you know how!

J.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ive just signed up on the pipex website.

They said that ive got to wait 7-10 working days.

But then what do i do?

Do i get charged through my phone bill for anything as ive payed directed debit mounthly?

Cheers,

Tarty

1 - 20 of 25 Posts