Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

On my 1999 mk4 golf tdi, the windscreen wipers have suddenly got so slow,
that they barely make it up the windscreen and coming back down again is a struggle!!

I was hoping that the mechanism might just need greasing underneath the
scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen, so off i go, taking the wiper arms off, but OH MY GOD!!!! WHY CAN'T I GET THE DAMN SCUTTLE PANEL OFF? It seems like it is glued to the actual windscreen! Is this the case ore am I being a complete fool (likely!) aand missing something realy obvious?

It's driving me fairly mad as you can probably tell! :)

Has anyone done this before, and did it make any difference?

Many thanks for any replies!!

Joe

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah mate just be patient with it. The scuttle panel is not clued to the windscreen. The windscreen has a u-chaneel piece of plastic fitted to it at the bottom edge. The scuttle panel slots into this vertically. Using your fingers to prise it up the scuttle pannel from the windscreen.

You need to take out the wiper mechanism by unbolting the motor. It seizes inside the spindles so you need to get them apart, sand down the sfats and regrease it then it should be fine.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
first, get the two small wedges out either side of the panel - these are to make it look flush.

You need some brute force now - get your fingers behind the top of the scuttle panel and just pull! It's clipped in but it won't break!

Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to appear thick, but do you mean pull downwards from the 'roofline' side of the panel? As in my fingers would be touching the windscreen, as opposed to pulling upwards from the engine side of it?!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
you get your fingers behind the top section, which is the roof side of the panel. you wedge your fingers between the panel and screen; just pull towards you.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Best fix for this - Get some WD40 and a nozzle for can, spray on the links, the motor where the link enters the motor and spray the spindles were the wiper arms attach to the mechanism, once lubricated raise wipers from screen and start them going, they should get faster and faster until normal speed is reached, apply more WD as necessary. I think its the spindle bearing where the wiper arms bolt onto that seize, as the wipers are moving apply extra WD to this area.

Hope that helps [:)]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I did consider the WD40 route, but my only worry is that it may not actually last very long?

What does everyone think? Or are there any other WD40 type sprays that may last longer? A silicone based spray for example?

The last thing i want is to spray loads of that around and then drive off up the road in the rain only for my wipers to stop after an hour!!

Joe

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
After its freed off you could try some thin spray grease! Thing it its hard to get grease in the actual spindle bearing due to it being a sealed unit, tho I havnt tried to take one appart it might be possible?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Did you manage to get the scuttle panel off? I'd say don't bother with WD40 unless you have the whole thing apart - it's not going to make much difference to the rust in the spindles. Aluminium oxide paper and silicone grease them after the spindles have been taken apart.

Spindles can be taken apart, just make sure you retain the circlip and o-rings

soft (rubber) mallet or a metal hammer are quite useful for stiff spindles

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, the scuttle panel seems to be welded fast to the windscreen!

I reckon that the car has had a replacement screen at one time or another and the fitter has put on the scuttle panel before the windscreen bond had set, so it's quite literally stuck fast!

I think I now may have also cracked the windscreen ever so slightly in my frustrations and so might have to be forced to get a windscreen on the insurance somehow, and whilst the screen and panel are out of the way, get the wipers seen to!

Just the kind of hassle and bills I need at Christmas!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
TRIFLOW lubricant (contains teflon & is a moisture repellant), don't know if its available to the public, ?15 a spray tin in the trade.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've just replaced my wiper mechanism because it was seized although the scuttle panel now has a gap about 0.5 cm between it and the windscreen. Is this normal when refitting???There was loads of crap between the windscreen and the panel so I assume thats just where all this was? Ive tried pressing down firmly but the gap remains - any ideas guys?

Thanks, Rob

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Spray it with WD40 or silicon before you put it back on,then start at one end and push firmly but gently,once it's started the rest will be easy.
NEVER,EVER twat it with your fist unless of course you want a visit from Autoglass[:$].

Chris.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i did clean the scuttle panel thoroughly where is the u channel on the windscreen itself?
If you have the scuttle panel trim off at the bottom edge of the screen all the way across is a plastic trim bonded to the screen. Which has a U channel shape to it. Run something through this to dig any dirt out of it and as said a little WD40 in the channel too before refitting the scuttle panel trim

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Remove the rust with a file and some wirewool and it wont happen again for a good few years!
They're never the same after they've siezed up as the clearance between the bush and shaft will be bigger than it's mean to be.When a new one is about £35 why bother messing about?

Chris.

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
I noticed no clearance in the shafts after I done mine.

Id rather spend 30mins doing a job from start to finish than pay £35 for 10minutes graft.

10minutes to rub the rust down is all it takes, bit of grease and your away again. The rust is built up on the outside of the spindle, so once its removed, there wil be microns of metal removed if that even.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts