Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been asked many times on here but how does one get the wiper arms off?

I picked up a 2nd hand pair of Aero arms and blades for £25 from VW Nirro. Attempted to remove the arms of my 2001 golf and only got as far as getting the nuts off. Soaked in WD40 for 24 hours but they are still not budging. Tried brute force and leverage with a screwdrive, but ended up cracking the scuttle.

Any help gratefully received

Singh41

·
Registered
205 Posts
You have tried lifting the wiper up, grabbing it where the wiper joins onto the arm & then giving it a wiggle? Shouldn't be that hard to get off I didn't think.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the exact same issue today...well the removel bit...mine is for a different reason.. I am going to get a wiper arm puller tomorrow....its like they get stuck often enough peeple to make a tool :). Draper make one for about 20 quid.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
There is no secret method really. They basically end up rusting on and you're basically stuck.

So it's things like getting a good penetrating oil spray (something better than WD40)

giving it a good wiggle and yank (trying not to scratch the paintwork)

OR failing that, buy yourself a purpose made puller. Ebay may do cheaper ones

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I am in Dorset and also have a tool. £8 from machine mart.

Best way is to raise the arms on the pivot and just wriggle them back and forth for 5 mins, they went from not budging to suddenly comming off in my hands!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, i will give wiper arm another wriggle today, failing that ill get the tool.

Singh41

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
If I had to do it again I would invest in a puller, but when I had to do an emergency ECUdectomy, I used a penetrating spray - not WD40 and then after removing the nut, put the jaws of an adjustable wrench under the wiper arm pivot. Then whilst gently levering up, I tapped the spindle with a hammer.

I know this is not ideal and I accept no responsibility for any damage, but it worked for me.[Y]

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
mine came straight off, I did a search about these when mine needed repositioning, i read loads of stories about people cracking screen and how hard they're to take off, I gave mine a good yank and nearly broke my nose (again) [:DD]

came off alot easier then i expected

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ok got my puller, it's different to the one linked above...I would say the pony one looks better than mine...but mine is more like a pulley puller, so might come handy for other things. I will post a link when I get On my pc, I had to remove the end spinner bit and muck about swigging the ignition off while the wiPers were going to stop them half way. The draper one looks much better for wipers specifically.
Got my wipers off though...so good enough :).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I gave the manual method another go today and the arms came off really easily. Perhaps it was the extra 24hours soaked in wd40, but as pointed out above the trick is to extend the arms out on the hinge, and then wriggle them in up down motion and they should come away.

Fitted 2nd hand aero arms , but now need some new aero blades as the 2nd hand set i have are shot. What do the stealers charge for replacement blades?

Singh 41

·
Registered
234 Posts
thats good news! yeah lifting the arms makes sense. not sure on prices though, I just use halfords for blades, but cant remember what i paid.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Im very interested to know how on earth you can manage to crack the windscreen when trying to remove the wiper arms? Unless you let an arm with no blade hit the glass???

Also, before removing the arms, it can pay off to mask the position of the blades so when you put the arms back on the spline, your wipers are in the same position and not too high/too low.

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 20 Posts