Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am somewhat dismayed or disappointed, one might say, that my Golf MKV 1.6SE takes rather a long time to warm up on very cold days (left outside) in comparison with previous cars that I have owned.

I would say that on mornings such as we are having at the moment, it takes at least 3 miles for the heater to output reasonably warm/hot air through the air vents and it is at this stage that the temperature gauge shows the needle to be just reaching the central position i.e. 90 degrees celcius. This, is with the aircon 'off' of course i.e. that damned 'econ' button glowing orange-yellow. After reaching 'normal' temperature everything is just fine.

This is in marked contrast to my sister's new Fiesta (garaged, admittedly) which has noticeable warm output from the air vents in less that 1 mile!!

Any comments from other 1.6FSI or 2.0 FSI petrol- engined Golfs would be welcome.

I wonder whether a visit to my dealer is called for or is it a characteristic of Golfs, generally?

[:O]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its normal, its winter remember!

Rather wait for heat than be warm in a Ford
Oh, I agree it is just that I wish that my Golf would get a little warmer, sooner than it does. Old bones and skinny, into the bargain only exacerbates the problem.

A very pleasant place to be in when warm, though.

[:D]

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the winter pack on my car which the dealer recommended. I laughed at the idea of heated seats, however now have realised that I would never buy another car unless it has heated seat (as part of winter pack or simlar)

I don't have to wait until the heater/engine warms, and it doesn't even bother me what the temp controls are set at,as all I have to do is switch the heated seat to either 3 or 4, and within seconds I am so confordable with the heating half way up my back too!!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have the winter pack on my car which the dealer recommended. I laughed at the idea of heated seats, however now have realised that I would never buy another car unless it has heated seat (as part of winter pack or simlar)

I don't have to wait until the heater/engine warms, and it doesn't even bother me what the temp controls are set at,as all I have to do is switch the heated seat to either 3 or 4, and within seconds I am so confordable with the heating half way up my back too!!!
Couldn't agree more mate, i love mine! [:D]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it as bad if you press the recirculate button, Marvin?

I've not notice the Golf to be slow to warm up.
It helps, inasmuch that it reduces the amount of cold air being drawn into the interior of the car during the warm-up process.

[H]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Both of our MK5's (1.6 FSI and 2.0FSI) take some time to warm up in this cold weather.

I've taken to closing the recirculation flap at night which has almost eliminated the problem I was having with ice on the inside of the windscreen
Tongue Tied [:S]

I notice the new Passat has the option of a heated windscreen - lets hope this passes down the range to the 2007 model Golf!

Stu

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am somewhat dismayed or disappointed, one might say, that my Golf MKV 1.6SE takes rather a long time to warm up on very cold days (left outside) in comparison with previous cars that I have owned.

I would say that on mornings such as we are having at the moment, it takes at least 3 miles for the heater to output reasonably warm/hot air through the air vents and it is at this stage that the temperature gauge shows the needle to be just reaching the central position i.e. 90 degrees celcius. This, is with the aircon 'off' of course i.e. that damned 'econ' button glowing orange-yellow. After reaching 'normal' temperature everything is just fine.

This is in marked contrast to my sister's new Fiesta (garaged, admittedly) which has noticeable warm output from the air vents in less that 1 mile!!

Any comments from other 1.6FSI or 2.0 FSI petrol- engined Golfs would be welcome.

I wonder whether a visit to my dealer is called for or is it a characteristic of Golfs, generally?

[:O]
This occured once on my Golf, but I suspect the thermostat had stuck open, other than that even after sub zero temps, heat is flowing in the car after a few minutes.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I read in the manual something about a supplemental heating system?? What's the deal with this? (I'm assuming this is for the wussy American market!)
I would imagine its for the home market (Germany) where it would be popular as with other options such as winter tyres.

Mind you it might be an option we would like here the way things are at the moment !

Quite like the idea of jumping into a pre heated car in the morning. (I think there are some aftermarket systems sold in this country )

I remember Land Rover had / has pre-heat systems.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Modern Japanese cars (even the Micra) have an option to remote start the engine in the mornings whilst the car remains locked / alarmed. This means the car is warm when you get into it on a frosty morning & more importantly the engine is allowed to warm up to optimum running conditions before putting load onto the engine. I just hate starting the engine on an icy morning then bombing off straight away. Although in the handbook it says don't hang around (thinking of the environment) it goes against everything i've heard about warming the oil up before driving off!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Modern Japanese cars (even the Micra) have an option to remote start the engine in the mornings whilst the car remains locked / alarmed. This means the car is warm when you get into it on a frosty morning & more importantly the engine is allowed to warm up to optimum running conditions before putting load onto the engine. I just hate starting the engine on an icy morning then bombing off straight away. Although in the handbook it says don't hang around (thinking of the environment) it goes against everything i've heard about warming the oil up before driving off!
That really surprises me.

I know the Micra has the option of heated leather seats but I would have thought that it would be illegal to allow you to start a car up remotely & leave it ' unattended ' even if locked ? [:O]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Confusion is creeping in here. Supplemental heating in this context was something available right at the beginning of the Golf V launch in the UK but was dropped soon after. Its a small additonal motor that operates seperately from the engine to provide heat prior to the car being used. IIRC it can be remotely operated or run on a timer.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes you're right !

My understanding of Supplementary heating was based on a programmable motor run off a battery source or as in the case of some Land Rovers a seperate fuel fired burner unit.

Thats why I was interested in the comment on the Micra's ?? [Y]

·
Registered
423 Posts
I read in the Golf V manual about the supplemental heater after a comment a friend made about diesels having an element of some kind to help warm the coolant (sounds confusing doesn't it?).. So in fact we have three things going on here!!

1. The supplemental heating system that VW describe in their manual but don't include in their cars.

2. An electric heating element to assist in the warming of the coolant or passenger cabin.

3. & My comment about some modern Japanese cars being able to be started by remote whilst the car still locked.

I think for point 1.. I gathered the supplemental heating element is an additional motor of some description coz in the manual it goes on to describe exhaust fumes come from it!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The 2.0 GT TDi does have a supplementary heater which, as you say, is mentioned in the manual. This helps the car to warm up much quicker than my Mkiv 150PD, giving me warm air after about half a mile. Diesels are notoriously slow to warm up and other makes have had electric heaters in the cooling system, or vent ducts for some time.

The manual states that the economy button turns this supplementary heating off. Not a good thing in current temperatures.

The pre-heating system mentioned burns diesel to heat the cooloing system before driving off. It can be remotely started or started by a timer. I was unaware that it was no longer offered here, but it was a rather expensive option at around ?800

1 - 20 of 36 Posts