Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend the best wheel size and any decent winter tyres?

I know its a bit early but I'm looking to buy a set of smaller wheels and winter tyres before the actual winter season so that they will be a wee bit cheaper.

Currently running 18's on Michelin Sports and I dont have the standard wheels to put back on for winter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I like the Monty II's. theyre 16" aren't they? I've also seen new 16" RS4 reps on ebay which might do the trick. Although id be happier buying 2nd hand VW wheels such as Monty II's.

Anyone know any decent winter tyres and costs?

Cheers!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Its only September - lets not get depressed about short days, horrible weather commonly known as .winter

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha, but I live in N.E. Scotland, winter kicks in hard and fast!

Is running 18's on winters a good idea? I thought an 18" wheel would've been too big for driving on snow? But im definately not an expert so all views welcome!

·
Registered
829 Posts
We have to run 18s to fit over the brakes! (V6 TT) Profile
doesn't really affect tyre performance in the snow though, just rubber
compound and tread design.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine was ok last year, but I've started a new job and have to go over the moors everyday to work so when it snows it will be bad.

I'm going to try and blag my old man to lend me his X5 when the going gets rough!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a Q about winter tyres, hope you guys can help?

At the moment, my car is running W speed rated tyres. I am thinking of getting a set of 15" steel rims for use in the winter but the highest speed rating is H, which is only good for 130mph. Is this safe to use on my car? I will never do 130mph but I was wondering if the torque of the car will affect the tyres??

As far as I can see, the weight index is the same as what I have at the moment.

Thanks.

·
Registered
829 Posts
At the moment, my car is running W speed
rated tyres. I am thinking of getting a set of 15" steel rims for
use in the winter but the highest speed rating is H, which is only good
for 130mph. Is this safe to use on my car? I will never do
130mph but I was wondering if the torque of the car will affect the
tyres??

As far as I can see, the weight index is the same as what I have at the moment.
H
rated winter tyres will be fine. Just keep an eye on the tyre
temps and pressures when the weather dries/warms up, and don't go
wheelspinning out of every junction!

I'm going to try and blag my old man to lend me his X5 when the going gets rough!
Good luck trying to get anywhere in the 'rough' in an X5!! [:p]

·
Registered
216 Posts
A set of 17" audi TT wheels or audi S3 wheels will do the trick and they are cheap enough. vredestien wintrac tyres are the mutts nuts for the winter, thats what im using and they are just as good in normal dry weather aswell. There aint a better non studded winter tyre out there (for use in the uk) in my opinion.

They might not have a massive reputation in the UK but Vredestien have won numerous awards with auto express and other high profile testers and they are good value for £.

have a look on ebay... Because they are not a well known tyre, i got a full set of brand new 225/45/17 for £230 delivered.... they are about £120 each RRP !!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my winter wheels
Yup, a set of standard TDi wheels like those would do the trick, or Monty II's. I'll keep scanning ebay and the classifieds on this site and see what comes up cheapish.

Nice Bolf by the way Tam!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll have a look out for vredestien's, anywhere else online sell them at decent prices or best to look on ebay?

Can anyone tell me if I'm any better off with 16's rather than 17's for winter? Apart from 16" tyres may be cheaper.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
My vote also goes for the TDI alloys or AVUS II's as they are known.

...Especially in black, they look quite good if I do say so myself !

Here are a few pics (courtesy of Shiuming) of my car with them on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can get these off the bay for as little as £50 and with £10's worth of Halfords satin black, you can do this. I did it as an experiment as I wanted steelies a few months ago but they've stayed on the car ever since, my RS4 reps have sat in the garage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts