Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
It is better to have winter tires or summer tires while weather is rainy day with temp ranging from 1-5 celsius? In my opinion summer tires are still better in this condidtions.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I recall watching a video that tested winter Vs summer tyres, I think the conclusion was winter tyres fair worse off, unless it's icy conditions. So your assumption would be correct, in that case.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Your opinion is almost certainly wrong, below 7 degrees is when winter tyres work best, they provide greater grip & clear more water than summer tyres even a well used set of Winters will beat a decent set of summer tyres in all adverse weather conditions

·
Registered
Golf V6 4Motion 2.8l 24v VR6
18 Posts
Personally I change to winter tyres mid November though to early March, temperature drops below 5 degrees here in Scotland and the rain starts pissing down every other day between these months. The tread pattern in Winter tyres has more grooves which means they're better at clearing water. Also the rubber compound is softer than summer tyres so even in dry conditions, provided the temperature is below 5 ish degrees, they'll have more grip than summer tyres.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts