Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Now that the Winter is finally here I thought that I could test out the winter pack fully.

I already new that the heated seats and headlamp wahers worked ok, but the Heated windscreen washer jets don't work as it appears the water is frozen and nothing sprays onto the screen even though the wipers are going etc..

Is this normal?

also both the headlamp washers were protruding from the bumper and were very loose, they just lifted straight out of the bumper, with water frozen around the connectors, again is this normal?

On a lighter note, overall I am very pleased with my MK V, and have noticed that around 13,000miles much more MPG (now avg 46, where previously it was difficiult to achieve 40mpg!)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If the winter pack on the MKV is anything like the one on my MK4 Bora it does have its faults imo...

My heated seats work great all the time and the headlamp washers work fine too, until.....

The weather turns cold!, my windscreen washer jets always freeze up despite them being 'heated' and if the weather is really cold and you wash the screen with the headlamps on, the headlamp washers are usually froze to the bumper and the build up of pressure tends to either blow the fuse or pop them out of the bumper occassionally lol!

HTH [:D]

Steve

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Only the "nozzles" are heated remember, so the fluid in the pipes will still freeze. You'd be better off using undiluted screenwash to try and stop it freezing.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You do not need to use undiluted screenwash unless you are in Siberia. Purchase VAG screenwash and follow the instructions for dilution relating to your climate. About three parts water to one part screenwash is correct for the UK. If  the front of your  car is iced up solid the headlight wash will not work unless you have a heated bumper!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Hi all,

Now that the Winter is finally here I thought that I could test out the winter pack fully.

I already new that the heated seats and headlamp wahers worked ok, but the Heated windscreen washer jets don't work as it appears the water is frozen and nothing sprays onto the screen even though the wipers are going etc..

Is this normal?

also both the headlamp washers were protruding from the bumper and were very loose, they just lifted straight out of the bumper, with water frozen around the connectors, again is this normal?

On a lighter note, overall I am very pleased with my MK V, and have noticed that around 13,000miles much more MPG (now avg 46, where previously it was difficiult to achieve 40mpg!)
Please don't get me wrong, but in my opinion, many of these so-called 'useful' extras do turn out to be a waste of time - complexity usually spells trouble in the long run.

Why anyone would need heated seats in our climate I find rather amusing but if they're leather than perhaps that's why. I know that, initially, cloth seats can even feel slightly cold in winter weather but they soon warm up to body temperature.

[:|]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have leather in my Bora and consider the heated seats to be a neccessity now, the MFA read -3'c this morning which combined with the extended warm up time of a TDI makes for an uncomfortable 10 mins unless the seat heaters are on [:D]

You sure your not just a little jealous of us winter pack owners Marvin after complaining yourself how cold your car was this morning...? [;)]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have leather in my Bora and consider the heated seats to be a neccessity now, the MFA read -3'c this morning which combined with the extended warm up time of a TDI makes for an uncomfortable 10 mins unless the seat heaters are on [:D]

You sure your not just a little jealous of us winter pack owners Marvin after complaining yourself how cold your car was this morning...? [;)]
No, I am not. My reason for criticising the Golf's slow warm up is based on a practice that I do very seldom now and which is one that is to be deprecated, I realise.

This morning and on many similar winter mornings, (especially when I needed the car for work -I now no longer work), I found my car covered in frozen sleet upon which there was a covering of frost. I used to start previous cars and leave the heater blower on inside and after about 10 mins. although it may have been longer, I went back to the car and found all the snow/frost/frozen sleet to have melted from the windows and upon opening the driver's door was welcomed by a quite warm interior.

When I do the same with my new super Golf the heater at the same stage is only blowing tepid air from the vents although the windows are usually quite free of frozen matter. I realise that this technique does no favours for the engine and its longevity - but what the hell, I don't keep my cars for ever.

The fact that a car may have heated cloth/leather seats has no bearing on this matter at all as they can't make the car driveable in a matter of minutes compared with what a quick and efficient heating system can - I know which I would rather have, any day.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Why anyone would need heated seats in our climate I find rather amusing but if they're leather than perhaps that's why. I know that, initially, cloth seats can even feel slightly cold in winter weather but they soon warm up to body temperature.[:|]
Marvin - it was minus 2 this morning and not the first cold morning recently either. As my car is an oil burner having heated seats is wonderful as they provide the only heat for the first few miles until the engine warms up and can start to provide heat via the climate system. The car is kept in a car port under the house so frozen windows etc is not a problem, it can be driven straight away. Its just b****y cold!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mark, you're right.. The TDI's take an age to warm up. I'm usually almost at my destination (20mins later) before the temp needle moves off the bottom! I rely on my heated seats to comfort me in my 20 mins of torture. I too don't suffer from perma-frost, being in central London, but just a biting cold car first thing in the morning. I don't care so much about the headlamp washers either & 9 times out of 10 hope they don't come on when i go to wash the windscreen as they just make a mess of the front of the car (after a good wax job)!.
I don't know what gave me the impression that modern TDI's warmed up quickly?? But I read somewhere about a supplemental heating element in the cooling system??? I would've thought they were now standard on modern diesels?.. but, apparantly not!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Mark, you're right.. The TDI's take an age to warm up. I'm usually almost at my destination (20mins later) before the temp needle moves off the bottom! I rely on my heated seats to comfort me in my 20 mins of torture. I too don't suffer from perma-frost, being in central London, but just a biting cold car first thing in the morning. I don't care so much about the headlamp washers either & 9 times out of 10 hope they don't come on when i go to wash the windscreen as they just make a mess of the front of the car (after a good wax job)!. I don't know what gave me the impression that modern TDI's warmed up quickly?? But I read somewhere about a supplemental heating element in the cooling system??? I would've thought they were now standard on modern diesels?.. but, apparantly not!
Your headlamp washers only come on once in every 4 uses of the screenwash and not at all if the lights aren't on.

Like you say, their only purpose seems to be to make a mess of the front of the car and leave a film of scum over the headlights! Why they're are a requirement on xenons beats the plop out of me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts